Society & Culture Facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What's the more narcissistic platform in 2018?
Facebook or Instagram?

I have a contact on Instagram who constantly posts photos of her out and about with her boyfriend.
Not to highlight that she's at these places (beach, park, mundane places really), but to remind all of her single friends that she has a boyfriend.
The sort of thing that fishes for the "you two are so cute together" comments that will slowly grind into the "give it a rest" mantra sooner than later.
I'm patiently awaiting that fall-out just for the popcorn moments.
Both about the same. FB posts are mostly people fishing for comments "so jealous" "wish I was there" kind of stuff. It's all just about people presenting their life as perfect and amazing.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What's the more narcissistic platform in 2018?
Facebook or Instagram?

I have a contact on Instagram who constantly posts photos of her out and about with her boyfriend.
Not to highlight that she's at these places (beach, park, mundane places really), but to remind all of her single friends that she has a boyfriend.
The sort of thing that fishes for the "you two are so cute together" comments that will slowly grind into the "give it a rest" mantra sooner than later.
I'm patiently awaiting that fall-out just for the popcorn moments.
Instagram easily. It is a platform based around narcissism. It is admittedly a good place for amateur photographers/artists to display their work, but most people just use it to show off their completely mundane and generic lives.

"Oh look, I'm having cocktails at a bar in St.Kilda in summer... I better hand my phone over to my boyfriend so he can take a picture of me staring off into the distance with the drink in my hand. Caption it "Summer vibes". If it doesn't get at least 100 likes within the next 30 minutes then I'll delete it."

It is handy for horny pervs like me to use as a one stop shop for pictures of scantily clad Instagram 'models' though.

Last edited:
It is handy for horny pervs like me to use as a one stop shop for pictures of scantily clad Instagram 'models'.

tenor.gif

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
One of my friends posted a pic of themselves, sitting with their back to camera at the top of a beautiful cliffside, and captioned it "I legitimately could of sat here all day". The eye rolling was extreeeeme.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
One of my friends posted a pic of themselves, sitting with their back to camera at the top of a beautiful cliffside, and captioned it "I legitimately could of sat here all day". The eye rolling was extreeeeme.

Reality: they sat there for the 2 minutes it took to get a good photo and moved on

Witnessed this a fair bit on my last holiday.

People too obsessed with taking the perfect photo without even taking in what they are there to see.
When my grandmother died we found that she had kept letters that I had written her when I was travelling in the early 90s and reading those old aerogrammes it struck me how much the nature of travel has changed with the internet.

When my grandmother died we found that she had kept letters that I had written her when I was travelling in the early 90s and reading those old aerogrammes it struck me how much the nature of travel has changed with the internet.

My sisters diary of her Contiki in Greece went something like

...woke up...had kebab...drank...spewed

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Instagram easily. It is a platform based around narcissism. It is admittedly a good place for amateur photographers/artists to display their work, but most people just use to it show off their completely mundane and generic lives.

"Oh look, I'm having cocktails at a bar in St.Kilda in summer... I better hand my phone over to my boyfriend so he can take a picture of me staring off into the distance with the drink in my hand. Caption it "Summer vibes". If it doesn't get at least 100 likes within the next 30 minutes then I'll delete it."

It is handy for horny pervs like me to use as a one stop shop for pictures of scantily clad Instagram 'models' though.

Concur. If I was a billionaire I'd probably buy Instagram from Facebook and immediately shut it down.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

People too obsessed with taking the perfect photo without even taking in what they are there to see.

Sounds like every single 'van life' campaigner ever.

OMG look at us we're so minimalist and seeing the world...

How about you * off somewhere out of mobile reception, then?

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I actually know a few friends* of mine that do this.

*people I know and like to laugh at the raging narcissism of their social media pages before realising how much their life must suck to care about likes.
It's ****ing sad. Some people's entire lives revolve around online validation, and if they don't get it they feel inadequate. I'm pretty sure Black Mirror did an episode where "likes" and online social standing becomes the new currency and it honestly doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Also guys please remember to like this post. I need to get my post:like ratio up a bit more.

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets

Reality: they sat there for the 2 minutes it took to get a good photo and moved on

Do not overlook or under-value the process of choosing the right filter for your photo.
You must accessorise. The perfect fake colour to go with the perfect fake life photo.
Make all your "friends" jealous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets

I'm willing to put a tenner on your letters were written with more thought than the instant selfie gratification class of today.

a mate of mines ex wife has just started uni last semester, doing nursing or something. while writing an essay, she's apparently stumbled upon a cure for cancer, which she's proven to work on paper, but she's upset that she can't use it because it's not financially viable

theres a lot to process in here..

all of this of course posted to facebook, along with every other detail of her life

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
a mate of mines ex wife has just started uni last semester, doing nursing or something. while writing an essay, she's apparently stumbled upon a cure for cancer, which she's proven to work on paper, but she's upset that she can't use it because it's not financially viable

theres a lot to process in here..

all of this of course posted to facebook, along with every other detail of her life

first year Uni students - known for curing cancer, ending world poverty, and sorting out the government

first year Uni students - known for curing cancer, ending world poverty, and sorting out the government
also It doesn't matter if they are 18 or 38 in this case..

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

An 18-year-old American tourist died after he slipped and fell off a 30-foot cliff in Australia while taking a selfie

A PERTH couple who died after falling from a lookout at a popular beach in Portugal while reportedly taking selfies has been identified

Happens multiple time a month all over the world, Karma.

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
For everyone who is facing life's challenges and is struggling, it should be mandatory for you to access a series of teenage girls latest (or to use the correct term, "suss the recent") fb or instagram selfie**, which is traditionally attached to a life-affirming series of inspiring quotes* or life-changing phrases* to cure all of your worries and pressures.

*said photos may just be a narcissistic way to show off how great your **** look in said photos
** selfie may be a dramatisation and may not reflect real-life

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Karma? People deserve to die for taking selfies?
Alright Muppets of the narcissistic kind

A 19-year-old from Houston died after trying to take an Instagram selfie while holding a loaded gun to his head. He accidentally fired the gun and shot himself in the throat.

Example supposedly
insta.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back