Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he couldn't make it
Was praying at your shrine , you being mr positive and all , he figures that might be his antidote to those pesky injuries

Give it a rest

giphy.gif

Guaranteed I have watched more live footy then yourself especially if you think Wells will have a great injury free season, the game has become quicker and more intense then ever, Wells might play a couple good games but won't be a factor come finals hasn't taken care of his body the last 5 years and has gone on 2 years to many.

Buckley was one of the most professional AFL players you will ever see he couldn't get past 34

How many blokes play past 34?

Pies should have got the FA pick as we pretty much gave him a retirement package.

Collingwood doesn't need Wells.
Rubbish
Been to training Gould know senior players nurture junior players
Reid with checkers and magden
Wells with seir brown Adams treleor phillips( how to weight a ball

Watching dosent mean understanding
Tip us for top 4 last year or not , very obvious chance
Lot more going on than a game
Lot more provided by senior players than you know

A Mr positive would have backed us and cleaned up
$8 to $26
You stay negative though mate
Odds are better
Thank you

Rubbish

$8 to $26
Odds are better
Thank you

English please?

Agree.

Pathetic the disrespect.

The thing is, Wells is a special talent. Sublime skill.
But anyway, let people bag him says more about them than a sublime talent who has played 250 plus AFL games.
I'm not counting on seeing a lot of Wells this year, that will be a loss to football in general but I am hoping that he has a successful year and we see why we recruited him.

Rubbish

$8 to $26
Odds are better
Thank you

After reading this 5 times I think I now know what you're trying to say

giphy-downsized-large.gif

In English please?

(Was an actual real response by the person because he didn’t understand Bencio Del Toro; director liked so much it so kept it)

I can’t resist a good movie opportunity

B4275295-2D4F-4E5E-ADCF-DFA7AB67D2AC.jpeg

After reading this 5 times I think I now know what you're trying to say

giphy-downsized-large.gif
So struggling with comprehension who are you Scott Morrison ?
But as mentioned you keep spouting your bias just keeps making me money
Not bad you're off to a great start For next year though
Keep up that positivity

Murphy for me is the one I want to see have that Sier like preseason and I’m intrigued by his development this summer.

There’s a whole heap of jokes going on around his height, almost surpassing the talk on Jackson Paine, but if he’s Mihocek height now or a couple of cm taller than he will be a must watch. Played off halfback last year but if he is that height I’d love to see him at half forward. Think he kicked bags at school level so there may be natural forward talent there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Murphy would want to more than surpass anything that Jackson Paine achieved. If Paine grew from a pygmy to a giant it sure didn't help his football skills and output.

Facts are that Wells has played 14 out of a posible 40 games since coming to Collingwood and has only managed to play 45 games in his last five AFL seasons. He will be 34 prior to the start of the 2019 season opener. Aside from any 'disrespect' shown to him on BF, realistically the only word that can be used to describe any forecast of his potential output for next year is a very tentatively employed 'hope'. Whilst I understand posters getting upset at suggestions he may be scoffing hot dogs washed down with cab savs in the Glasshouse during training, I also hope he is not going to be the next subject of a 'don't kill Bambi' movement in these forums. He may have sublime skills, but in retrospect, due to his injuries and age, he has not been a great pick up. Aside from snide remarks, I hope that posters are at least able to ponder the unlikelihood of a breakout season for him next year without being accused of harbouring treasonous thoughts about the club's recruiting strategy.

Facts are that Wells has played 14 out of a posible 40 games since coming to Collingwood and has only managed to play 45 games in his last five AFL seasons. He will be 34 prior to the start of the 2019 season opener. Aside from any 'disrespect' shown to him on BF, realistically the only word that can be used to describe any forecast of his potential output for next year is a very tentatively employed 'hope'. Whilst I understand posters getting upset at suggestions he may be scoffing hot dogs washed down with cab savs in the Glasshouse during training, I also hope he is not going to be the next subject of a 'don't kill Bambi' movement in these forums. He may have sublime skills, but in retrospect, due to his injuries and age, he has not been a great pick up. Aside from snide remarks, I hope that posters are at least able to ponder the unlikelihood of a breakout season for him next year without being accused of harbouring treasonous thoughts about the club's recruiting strategy.

If he was coming back in good physical shape I wouldn't have a crack at him, Nth days he would come back overweight and unfit and mostly get away with it due to his age can't do that now and it has shown 45 games in his last 5 seasons.

So struggling with comprehension who are you Scott Morrison ?
But as mentioned you keep spouting your bias just keeps making me money
Not bad you're off to a great start For next year though
Keep up that positivity

see the above get a clue seriously, I have been on this board for 10 years and contributed my fair share from inside club info to player sponsors, I just don't get sucked in by false hope and the colour jumper a player wears.

Did you make it to Friday's training Apples?

My take

- hotter work today with the sun out and the balls out quite a bit. Fitness through football you might describe it. A lot of work focussed on working in traffic in restricted areas - A lot of keepings off 4 vs 3 but also 8 vs 8. Repeat run throughs in pairs with a handball from a coach as reward for whichever in the pair had built a gap on the other, but designed to handle the ball under fatigue. Transition from end to end by hand & foot. Contested work in pairs in the air amongst the taller players (Reid, Cox, Magden, Keane, Tohill, Mihocek) interspersed by running. Keane does impress as a spoiler in defence. Cox too big for both of his alternating opponents (Checkers and Keane)

- Absent, from memory, Crisp, Grundy, Treloar, Wells, Thomas, Maynard, Kelly, Goldsack, Greenwood, Scharenberg, (Dunn, who went for a walk)

- Reduced loads so mainly run throughs - Beams, Howe, Aish, Crocker, Broomhead (who tells me the pain is settling down slowly). Moore, Elliott did some kicking amongst themselves too in addition to some run throughs. All of these finished early before 11.30am

- Full drills but left track relatively early - Quaynor, Atu, Keane, Wills

- VFL attendees - Wellings, Ralph

- Who impressed? - Stephenson is really pushing himself the whole time. Nathan Murphy pushed home hard to win the last group ~250m by passing Tom Phillips on the line. Callum Brown was trying to assert himself more with his running during drills. Max Lynch was also notably pushing hard on the track.

- Who was struggling? - Tohill and Keane are notably less physically developed. Tohill is very thin and was clearly having trouble in the heat by the end, being last one home of the 25 or so players in the 250m (albeit earlier he had been beating Cox in run throughs). Keane is more solid but little muscle tone. Their skills seemed pretty good though. Tohill was working on kicking at the end when I left

- Who were the leaders on the track? - Pendles, Mayne probably the most vocal I thought. Varcoe was taking Josh Daicos through an evasion exercise when I left. One of about 6 remaining on the track which included Magden and Appleby working on short passing together.

- Who's running the program? - Kevvy, Banger, Buddha, Longmuir were most notable. Sanderson, Boyd, Pebbles absent. Buckley fairly silent.
Good to hear about C Brown. Sounds like he and Daicos are really trying to push for consistent senior selection.

Good to hear about Lynch as well. He's OOC end of 2019 and if we want to keep him he'll either need to be promoted or delisted and re-rookied. Would be nice to have a developing ruck on the list, so if he's pushing himself that works in his favour.

Interesting that Maynard was not there.

I don't think anyone has complained about skepticism regarding Wells offering much of a contribution. Lets face it, it's the safer bet - the most likely scenario.

It's the complete writing off, dismissal and snide remarks about a bloke who has had a fabulous AFL career that are being criticised. The comments are obnoxious and considering the same blokes were probably saying the same things about Chris Mayne at this time last year, the certainty in the comments is also very arrogant, ignorant and delusionally pessimistic. If people can't imagine Daniel Wells playing some good footy next year, they've got no imagination and also no memory, as it's only 18 months ago that a fit Daniel Wells tore the league leaders to shreds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a specific correlation between the heat and when the players get their balls out?

On a more general note, do they appear to have altered training drills to reflect 2019 rule changes?

Strong correlation... when the balls come out it invariably means things are hotting up..

Strong correlation... when the balls come out it invariably means things are hotting up..

Same with the AFLW/VFLW training?

Agreed

Wells has played more than 10 games a season only once since 2013.

Of his 14 games for Collingwood, 2 were ended by injury at least, so he has actually only completed 12.

Easy question. If Daniel Wells contract finished at the end of 2018, does anyone think we or anyone else would have offered him a new one?

Anything from him would be a bonus, but I am expecting very little. The issue was that we pulled the wrong lever in the first place. We need to acknowledge that, and never do it again.

Agreed

Of his 14 games for Collingwood, 2 were ended by injury at least, so he has actually only completed 12.

Easy question. If Daniel Wells contract finished at the end of 2018, does anyone think we or anyone else would have offered him a new one?

Anything from him would be a bonus, but I am expecting very little. The issue was that we pulled the wrong lever in the first place. We need to acknowledge that, and never do it again.

Retrospect is a great thing. Truth is, he was the player we needed and came off a good season the year before we got him. Was it worth the risk? Yes. Has the risk paid off. No. But you can't predict these things with 100% accuracy. So I don't buy the "we pulled the wrong lever in the first place" argument. We pulled the right level -- it just wasn't a sure thing.

Agreed

Issue to me is the risk v reward aspect.

The risk was worth it.

If we don’t get the reward this coming season, that will be sad but still worth the risk.

There is no lever pulling in this discussion as you can say the same thing about Beams.
Is it worth the risk?
Absolutely.

Taking risks on sublime elite talent is worth it; taking the risk on basic average talent that is a different question.
I’d not do it on Tyson Goldsack level or on Chris Mayne talent (though this one paid off).

Hindsight always reveals the best avenue to travel - except you can’t travel back in time.

Me? I’d do the Wells deal every time, on that level of talent, absolutely!

Agreed

Get a bit sick of all the Wells talk, just repeating s**t we all know. We are stuck with him for another year, let’s just hope he can help win a few games for us this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back