Prediction The Carlton Consensus Best 22 – 2019 Edition - THE VOTES ARE IN

Who should be our final player in the Best 22? (PICK ONE)

• 1. J. Silvagni

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 4. L. O'Brien

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • 16. D. Lang

• 18. S. Walsh

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • 21. J. Garlett

• 26. H.Macreadie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 28. D. Cuningham

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 29. C. Polson

• 39. D. Thomas

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • 40. T. Bugg

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Conventional wisdom says 2nd year slump and 3rd year jump.

I think Dow's output will disappoint many in 2019.

Conversely, I see SPS as exceeding everyone's expectations.

Hopefully Cripps, Murph, Fish, etc can help show the kids how to avoid the ‘second year blues’.

I think a lot of the time the year two slump is as much about a change in role and increased responsibility.

Say moving from a fairly unaccountable flank role where you just want them to get a bit of the footy and have some impact in the first year, year two there are more than defensive and tactical expectations and possibly a bit of a positional change like more mid time or locking down on a player, etc.

Dow is already spending a lot of time playing on ball, we threw him straight into the deep end there. Can’t see his role changing much, and even if it does think he’ll have more upside threw being bigger/fitter/faster/stronger than any downside from said role/tactical change.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Conventional wisdom says 2nd year slump and 3rd year jump.
I think Dow's output will disappoint many in 2019.
Conversely, I see SPS as exceeding everyone's expectations.

It can happen as much as it can happen with anyone, but that additional speed he has will ensure we won't be chopping and changing him, the way we may do with a Setterfield vs Kennedy scenario or a SPS vs Walsh situation.
After Cripps, I see him being our second most used stoppage player. It's a big ask of him, but if he managed this year, he'll thrive the next.

Doing the forwards is really hard here. well, the first three are easy and guess what? They're all talls and after that it's all a little uncertain.
An Eddie Betts and/or Jeff Garlett wouldn't go astray here. but we just don't have anything like that on the books for now. Next year, right?

Trying to think what 22 would be from my own voting.

Plowman Marchbank Simpson
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Fisher SPS Dow
J Silvagni C Curnow Cuningham
Polson H McKay Pickett
Kruezer Crippa Murphy

Interchange:
Mitch McGovern, Setterfield, Ed Curnow, Kennedy

The guys missing out that others tend to vote for will end up in my preference for emergencies
Missed out in my votes: Newman and Jones from defence
Missed from mids: Walsh and Stocker
Missed from forwards: Fasolo
Missed from multiple areas: Thomas

This is how I see it. There are 19 locks. The rest are up for grabs, depending on preseason form.

FB: ???, Jones, Simpson
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Marchbank
C: Murphy, Cripps, Fisher
HF: ???, C Curnow, ???
FF: McGovern, McKay, Petrevski-Seton
FOL: Kreuzer, Dow, E Curnow
INT: Walsh, O’Brien, Daisy, Kennedy

Bolts really values playing the quality youngsters, which is why I see O’Brien and Walsh starting round 1.

Jones is important to our structure, and with Doc back ‘coaching’ him, will hopefully get back to 2017 form.

Daisy finished off the year well and Bolts values his experience in a young team.

A fit Kennedy makes our best 22.

Williamson/Plowman/Newman fighting it out for the last Backman position.

Pickett, Garlett, Cuningham, polson, Lang, Fasolo, Setterfield fighting it out for the last two forward spots.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.. no idea how Pickett is in this squad. Wont be near our best 22.

Will need 3-4 injuries minimum to be in the conversation.

Well the coach has just reiterated he rates the 'indigenous players as his favourites at the Club- "because of the things they can do which he can't beleive they can do - and they make him smile"

Note the use of the plural.

parsing Bolton into common speak - these kids are jets.

How is Pickett getting in :/? Don’t doubt his talent but he’s coming from so very far back.

Totally agree. And at the expense of someone like Walsh who could add another midfield rotation option. I'm very surprised it's going that way. He was so disappointing in second half of last season - looked a mile off it.

Yep.. no idea how Pickett is in this squad. Wont be near our best 22.

Will need 3-4 injuries minimum to be in the conversation.

Here’s why. Forward lines need to be fast, see the last handful of premierships!

If you pick slow players like Mckay, Curnow, McGovern and Fasolo, who is doing the chasing and pressure acts in the forward line?

That’s why we got Tom Bugg. I picked both Bugg and Pickett. We don’t need a midfielder rotating as a small forward. We need a small forward playing as a small forward.

Get the feeling Pickett might surprise some people this year
He is another player that needs to have a huge summer, be fit and get through the season with no injuries.

His two years at Carlton have teased and tantalised us because of his exhilarating pace, but he doesn’t kick goals and he doesn’t get much of the ball. He needs to improve significantly to get a game this year.

There is a spot there for him, it’s whether he can earn it

He is another player that needs to have a huge summer, be fit and get through the season with no injuries.

His two years at Carlton have teased and tantalised us because of his exhilarating pace, but he doesn’t kick goals and he doesn’t get much of the ball. He needs to improve significantly to get a game this year.

There is a spot there for him, it’s whether he can earn it

Here’s hoping.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting, with Russell's arrival, that they have sent Pickett away to train separately. Reminds me of the time Ross, sent Walters back to, improve his fitness and body shape, continuity improved dramatically.

Now, this might not be the case with Pickett, but one way or another, this is his defining year

Well the coach has just reiterated he rates the 'indigenous players as his favourites at the Club- "because of the things they can do which he can't beleive they can do - and they make him smile"

Note the use of the plural.

parsing Bolton into common speak - these kids are jets.
Absolutely, when we had Eddie and Jeffy...and Yaz at times... roaming around in the forward line, it was just a marvel to watch, and a nightmare for the defenders.

I'd love Pickett and Garlett, and even Lebois and SPS, to develop the same kind of chemistry, doing the things that we can't believe they can do....and surrounded by a few others like Charles, Gov and Harry just making up the numbers :D

Last edited:
Back