Prediction 2023 Consensus Best 22 - Final vote closed, team selected!

Vote for the Matty411 Super-Sub (all currently unselected players eligible)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the side that SEN put up today.....gotta say I 100% agree with the team that Nicky Neg put together...good Carlton man, knows his onions too :thumbsu:

2022_Teams_Fields_GFX__1_.jpg

Suits me.

That is close to our best 22, a pretty solid side however the main issue is Walsh.. He wont be played on a wing, despite the fact if he played there he would be easily the best wingman in the game., but he is also a top 10 midfielder playing in the guts. Walsh not on the wing then throws out the entire midfield group, because Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy & Cripps can not play on a wing..

That is close to our best 22, a pretty solid side however the main issue is Walsh.. He wont be played on a wing, despite the fact if he played there he would be easily the best wingman in the game., but he is also a top 10 midfielder playing in the guts. Walsh not on the wing then throws out the entire midfield group, because Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy & Cripps can not play on a wing..

Cerra could easily play on a wing

Cerra could easily play on a wing
Yeah, but more effective as first receiver, link man who is also able to get his own ball.

Love the prospect of LOB if he has elevated and added an edge. Leftie patrolling a wing or flank is a big positive. Saad, LOB and Fisher tightroping the boundary can be a thing of beauty.

Yeah, but more effective as first receiver, link man who is also able to get his own ball.

Love the prospect of LOB if he has elevated and added an edge. Leftie patrolling a wing or flank is a big positive. Saad, LOB and Fisher tightroping the boundary can be a thing of beauty.

Agree, although if we can not have them all, who is better at the first receiver role.. Cerra or Walsh?? IMO its Walsh, but then Walsh is also more effective on a wing than Cerra so its an interesting conundrum for the match committee to work out what the right balance for the team is.

Really interested to see what Voss and Co roll out this year after that first season basic plan

I think the gameplan will look more than slightly different and expecting some positional and rotation tweaks

From what I saw from last week, Cripps, Hewett, (and Kennedy) will be the main inside mids, Carroll more inside/balanced.

Cerra then Acres more balanced/outside. Think Walsh will play a similar role, and Holland projects similar traits early on, call it Walsh lite

Cotts, LOB, Binns outside

Doc is unique, could start at HF, push into the middle, more as that defensive mid/+1 defender, then push forward in attacking movements. Likely doing the same at centre bounces

Then the rotations will have some nip, agility, Martin, Fisher, Durdin, Mots, pushing up to the contest

I just can't get sold on LOB yet. It is absolutely a given that he will star in pre-season. And he is doing so again.

That is not a snide knock on him. It is a compliment that he excels in a necessary part of the game. Fitness, preparation, enthusiasm, training skills etc.

But we all know, Voss included i strongly suspect, that his weakness is the heat of AFL games. Physically and mentally.

Because of the injuries to Walsh, Cottrell and maybe even Boyd, and because of the newness of Hollands and Binns, then Lachie may get a chance early to show that he is a different player. But i dunno, i'm sceptical on it i gotta say. I don't think Vossy was impressed at all with any of our wingers last year.

I really hope he can handle AFL heat better, but starring in January does nothing to convince me. He may get his chance in the first month of the season to prove he's improved in leaps and bounds.....but i dunno.

I'm hopeful but sceptical. I think Voss would be the same. And i'm not sure that Vossy goes with guys he's sceptical on.

I just can't get sold on LOB yet. It is absolutely a given that he will star in pre-season. And he is doing so again.

That is not a snide knock on him. It is a compliment that he excels in a necessary part of the game. Fitness, preparation, enthusiasm, training skills etc.

But we all know, Voss included i strongly suspect, that his weakness is the heat of AFL games. Physically and mentally.

Because of the injuries to Walsh, Cottrell and maybe even Boyd, and because of the newness of Hollands and Binns, then Lachie may get a chance early to show that he is a different player. But i dunno, i'm sceptical on it i gotta say. I don't think Vossy was impressed at all with any of our wingers last year.

I really hope he can handle AFL heat better, but starring in January does nothing to convince me. He may get his chance in the first month of the season to prove he's improved in leaps and bounds.....but i dunno.

I'm hopeful but sceptical. I think Voss would be the same. And i'm not sure that Vossy goes with guys he's sceptical on.

Yeah I think LoB will get first shot at the left side but agree, Voss wasn't happy with our transition last year and I'd also suggest a fair few of the contests that were lost as well.

Sounds like LoB has set himself up to have a real crack at it so this is his time to grab the spot and become the encumbent.

Given who we've recruited I can't see Walsh or Cerra spending much time on the wings unless we're in dire straits with injury.

Totally agree. I did not have him best 22 in my early pre season thoughts. It was hard to leave him out being an old leftie who values quality disposal. I had his spot a toss up, and quite possibly for rotation. Carroll, Doc, Fish, Walshy and Cez need alternate roles on occasion. Williams a possibility as are the draftees (I see Cotts more as a HHF providing cover up and down the ground) I do not totally rule out Ed, given his athletic capacity and Voss is sure to value his combative nature.

Sharing your scepticism, but reckon it is his to lose pending the development of the kids.

Options aplenty.

Walsh could be the best Wingman in the game, but he won't play the position. He is a natural ball hunter. He isn't going to park himself out on the wing to be used as a decoy half the time. He is going to hunt the ball. Wing is a position for B graders. Touk Millar and Callum Mills were the AA wingmen despite never lining up outside of the square

Agree, although if we can not have them all, who is better at the first receiver role.. Cerra or Walsh?? IMO its Walsh, but then Walsh is also more effective on a wing than Cerra so its an interesting conundrum for the match committee to work out what the right balance for the team is.
I reckon Walsh is slightly more likely to spray the kick.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't shake the feeling that O'Brien is the current version of 1980s boom Recruit Frank Marchesani.... Who was the big time transfer at the time from Fitzroy who had the skills & promise of a worldbeater who was a little bit too timid.... Had the skills to do some incredible things but It was few and far between

Really interested to see what Voss and Co roll out this year after that first season basic plan

I think the gameplan will look more than slightly different and expecting some positional and rotation tweaks

From what I saw from last week, Cripps, Hewett, (and Kennedy) will be the main inside mids, Carroll more inside/balanced.

Cerra then Acres more balanced/outside. Think Walsh will play a similar role, and Holland projects similar traits early on, call it Walsh lite

Cotts, LOB, Binns outside

Doc is unique, could start at HF, push into the middle, more as that defensive mid/+1 defender, then push forward in attacking movements. Likely doing the same at centre bounces

Then the rotations will have some nip, agility, Martin, Fisher, Durdin, Mots, pushing up to the contest

yep - Voss has options.

Doc as mid only if Boyd or Cowan can play in defence

Otherwise, they’ll get Plowman to lockdown a small fwd - yikes!
What about Kemp to lockdown small forwards? He’s quick and got a big leap so could play on quick small forwards who have big leaps - Elliott, Ryan, Cameron and the like. Probably strong enough to play on Martin or DeGoey. Kemp is 193cm and close to 90kg. Love for him to play this role.

What about Kemp to lockdown small forwards? He’s quick and got a big leap so could play on quick small forwards who have big leaps - Elliott, Ryan, Cameron and the like. Probably strong enough to play on Martin or DeGoey. Kemp is 193cm and close to 90kg. Love for him to play this role.
What a utility

Defender, midfielder or forward
Play tall, play small

Get him on the park :D

Which ones?
Fisher because he avoids too many tackles he should be making
Martin because he gets injured three times in a quarter
Cottrell because he is a couple of skill levels below the rest but cant be faulted in his effort

Fisher because he avoids too many tackles he should be making
Martin because he gets injured three times in a quarter
Cottrell because he is a couple of skill levels below the rest but cant be faulted in his effort
This is why Owies gets first crack imo...

Back