Prediction 2023 Consensus Best 22 - Final vote closed, team selected!

Vote for the Matty411 Super-Sub (all currently unselected players eligible)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The forwards vote has closed with 79 votes.
  1. Curnow, C 79 / 100%
  2. McKay 78 / 99%
  3. Motlop 77 / 97%
  4. Durdin 71 / 90%
  5. Fisher 79 / 90%
  6. Silvagni 68 / 86%
  7. Martin 63 / 80%
  8. De Koning 25 / 32%
  9. Cuningham 7 / 9%
  10. Owies 7 / 9%
  11. Cottrell 2 / 3%
  12. Kemp 2 / 3%
  13. Curnow, E 1 / %
  14. Honey 1 / 1%DNP: Binns, Carroll, Dow, Fogarty, Hollands, Lemmey, Philp.
A pretty clear top 7 there.

Now for a quick vote on Docherty's role, which will impact the MID & DEF selections:
  • If he's a defender then O'Brien is a on the bench as a midfielder.
  • If he's a midfielder then Marchbank is a on the bench as a defender.
Hopefully we can sort this in a few days and then onto the final vote for the inaugural Matty411 Super Sub. Remaining emergencies to be named on cumulative line and sub votes.

Now for a quick vote on Docherty's role, which will impact the MID & DEF selections:
  • If he's a defender then O'Brien is a on the bench as a midfielder.
  • If he's a midfielder then Marchbank is a on the bench as a defender.
Hopefully we can sort this in a few days and then onto the final vote for the inaugural Matty411 Super Sub. Remaining emergencies to be named on cumulative line and sub votes.

With Doc in midfield I would prefer a smaller rebounding defender replace him, probably Boyd, but I understand Marchbank was 8th in the voting so is therefore next up.

Maybe if fully fit, in form and ‘switched on’…

He’s brilliant when ticks all 3 boxes, but that’s been maybe a handful of games in his career.

Agreed.

but

Wasn't the premise of the selections based on player being fit?

Agreed.

but

Wasn't the premise of the selections based on player being fit?
Yes it is. But there’s still the other two boxes that also need ticking, something that hasn’t happened all that often.

His best games are electric, but he also would sometimes get completely lost for quarters on end.

Maybe that happens less in a better system, in a team that wins more than it loses, but the jury is still out for mine. It’s an average of 13 disposals and 0.6 goals in 41 games across 7 seasons, nothing to write home about.

He’s certainly got the potential, no doubt about it. First he’s got to get on the park, then he’s got to prove he can repeatedly perform at a level to stay in the team week in, week out.

Just want it on the record a fit Cuningham walks into the side ahead of four already selected above.

Has played a handful of games at a level the others have yet to reach but otherwise has not delivered to that standard. A tragedy that the injuries came right as he was really breaking out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has played a handful of games at a level the others have yet to reach but otherwise has not delivered to that standard. A tragedy that the injuries came right as he was really breaking out.

Couldn't have expressed my feelings any better if I tried - thanks mate :thumbsu: I had my fingers crossed for Kennedy and I hope Cuningham can get back on the paddock and stay there - he could be anything and would make me just as happy as Matt did.

We need to fit LOB and Marchy into the team

This is what I had as best 22 late last year, for 2023

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Williams Young Saad

Acres Cripps Walsh
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Durdin C. Curnow Martin
TDK McKay Motlop

Newman Kennedy Doc Fisher

I guess Doc to the middle has played out, still could play back, especially with Williams and Boyd out.

You could make a strong case for Marchbank instead of Newman, but unlikely that he is ready for round 1.

Hard to leave LOB out, with a fit list, but think he is a lock for round 1, then his to cement

Jsos stiff, but likely to play, as well as TDK. That pushes a running type to start as the sub

I think Docherty was going to be playing midfield then Boyd went down, he was still going to be playing midfield then Williams went down, now if we pull him from defence I think this takes from the backline a bit too much. Opposition are going to focus heavily on Saad with Docherty and Williams out. Newman will be heavily relied on. I don't think a first year player is going to cut it, nor do any of our other defenders, they just aren't damaging and a big enough threat to the opposition. I think you need three quality smaller running defenders capable of getting big numbers and generating good defensive rebound or it's just not going to work.

Unless we find someone then Docherty is playing in the backline.

As for Marchbank, I would not worry if he is not fully training. He's a naturally good runner, those sort don't need to train as much. He came in off the back of two years out and no preseason to play alright last year. He's coming in after playing and having a preseason. I can't see how he won't be right to go and in better shape than he was last year come round 1.

IMO Marchbank has the running capacity. If he's fit enough, he's probably good enough, he and McGovern may be able to release Docherty for midfield minutes but we will have to see.

IMO we are going to be hanging on Boyd coming back or someone stepping up to come in and fill the third small running defender role, release Docherty a little and help us out in that area, because with no Boyd and no Williams and Docherty potentially having midfield minutes, defensive run will be a minor weakness in our side.

Back