Prediction 2023 Consensus Best 22 - Final vote closed, team selected!

Vote for the Matty411 Super-Sub (all currently unselected players eligible)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For the forwardline I've got 5 locks:
Charlie, H, Sos, Martin and Fish

Then Durds, Mots and TDK to fill the final 2 spots depending on preferred structure.

Cunners and Honey a chance if they find fitness and form.

I know everyone's going to be looking at ruck options for the final bench spots, but please spare a thought for Kemp, who could slot in just about any line on this team as needed. That kind of utility will be immense on game day, particularly at the stoppages and up forward.
This is why Owies gets first crack imo...

Completely different roles. I don't think Owies is in the conversation unless we're playing in a shoe box, which is why I want to see him add some stoppage looks to how he plays and see if he can transition into the midfield.

Lots of work to be done by him on getting leaner.
For the forwardline I've got 5 locks:
Charlie, H, Sos, Martin and Fish

Then Durds, Mots and TDK to fill the final 2 spots depending on preferred structure.

Cunners and Honey a chance if they find fitness and form.
I actually locked in Durdin and Motlop, then gave a nod to Fisher given his flexibility and improvement as a dedicated forward. Martin is boom or bust, and not just in the sense of injury curtailing form and consistency.

Honey's form line has to trend up in a different way to the past. Athletically has most of the tools, but doesn't have enough craft or endurance base to get loose up forward. Cuningham runs rings around him in that respect now after putting in a lot of work, but can barely stay on the park.

Fisher - Curnow - Durdin
Martin - McKay - Motlop
Silvagni

Tall forwards: McKay and Curnow
These two pick themselves. Not fussed who starts deep forward, I suspect this will be interchangeable throughout games. Both have terrific hands and it's important at least one is pushing up to a wing and even half back to present as an option.

Small forwards: Durdin and Motlop.
Motlop I think will be a terrific footballer, he can have a serious impact this year. Last year we saw glimpses and he threatened at times to rip games apart, this year he can take another step forward.
Durdin impressed last year with his work rate and pressure, both of which are hugely important in the modern game. Next step is for him to either become more of a scoring threat or push higher up the ground.

Hybrid: Martin
Have to go with the most talented option here and hope that he is able to remain fit over the course of a season. Easy selection on talent IMO.
Competing with Owies and Honey in particular but Jack is ahead of both.

Resting mid: Fisher
Fisher had a good year in 2022 but has another level to get to. Can provide a spark inside 50 but also very capable of playing midfield minutes.
Cerra, Kennedy, Cottrell are other mids who I expect to rotate through the half forward line.

3rd tall: Silvagni
I've previously been on the fence with regards to Jack in our best 22. There are more talented players out there but none who are smarter nor who bleed more for the jumper.
Many will select TDK for this role and I expect him to play plenty of senior footy, pushing Jack to a 4th tall role. I am very strong on this not being our best structure and carrying the extra tall being detrimental to the team as a whole.
Jack is a significantly better forward than TDK, and I don't think we lose all that much by having him provide a chop out to Pitto rather than TDK.
Pitto as our #1 with Jack providing ruck relief minutes is the way I would be going.

HF
Martin​
C. Curnow​
Fisher​
F
Durdin​
McKay​
Silvagni​

Bench: De Koning

Really wanted to include Motlop but I don’t know who gets left out.

3rd tall: Silvagni
I've previously been on the fence with regards to Jack in our best 22. There are more talented players out there but none who are smarter nor who bleed more for the jumper.
Many will select TDK for this role and I expect him to play plenty of senior footy, pushing Jack to a 4th tall role. I am very strong on this not being our best structure and carrying the extra tall being detrimental to the team as a whole.
Jack is a significantly better forward than TDK, and I don't think we lose all that much by having him provide a chop out to Pitto rather than TDK.
Pitto as our #1 with Jack providing ruck relief minutes is the way I would be going.
Good analysis, Jeremias. Not saying I disagree with it, but Geelong will come knocking HARD if TDK can’t unseat Pittonet for primary ruck duties, and Silvagni is relief ruck.

Good analysis, Jeremias. Not saying I disagree with it, but Geelong will come knocking HARD if TDK can’t unseat Pittonet for primary ruck duties, and Silvagni is relief ruck.

No worries, let them knock.

I would like him to stay but he's not the footballer some think he is, nor is he a guarantee to reach the heights some think he might.

We'll put an offer in. If he takes it, great; if he opts to look elsewhere then we'll be well compensated for it.

Slower
Kemp Young Mcgovern
Marchbank Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Obrien
Fisher Curnow Martin
Durdin Mckay Motlop

Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Int: Docherty Kennedy Newman TDK

Faster
Silvagni Young Mcgovern
Newman Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Obrien
Fisher Curnow Martin
Durdin Mckay Motlop
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Int: Docherty Kennedy Hollands Cunningham

No worries, let them knock.

I would like him to stay but he's not the footballer some think he is, nor is he a guarantee to reach the heights some think he might.

We'll put an offer in. If he takes it, great; if he opts to look elsewhere then we'll be well compensated for it.
Unfortunately at this stage TDK is an athlete not a footballer. Therein lies the conundrum.

Can he improve his game sense and skill to a level to match his athleticism or will he remain a coulda been?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Unfortunately at this stage TDK is an athlete not a footballer. Therein lies the conundrum.

Can improve his game sense and skill to a level to match his athleticism or will he remain a coulda been?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Accurate assessment of Tom's potential and also agree that the club will make a reasonable offer to De koning, should he refuse it no problem we then have a good asset to trade in an exciting draft cohort of 2023 would be very happy with a 1st round selection and or palyer we may need.

Fisher Charles Martin
SOS Harry Motlop
Durdin

for mine.

TDK will get my bench spot. Will play as 2nd Ruck and only pinch hitting forward. SOS permanent 3rd tall forward. Without the shackles of having to ruck, i see SOS having an impactful role. Him and Martin dangerous overhead if oppo concentrate overly on Charles and Harry which for their own sake they will lol. Both SOS and Martin are better than ok for pressure too.

My best team:

McGovern Young Newman
Saad Weitering Docherty
Acres Cripps Cerra
Fisher Curnow Martin
Silvagni McKay Motlop

Pittonet Hewett Walsh

TDK Kennedy Kemp Durdin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curnow, McKay, Motlop, Fisher, Durdin are our locks IMO. Then it's about who we go with as forward ruck and whether we go a little shorter or a little taller.

Silvagni at his best is the 4th tall who plays high up the ground and rests deep, is our linking half forward who is not quite a CHF and not quite a HFF but does a bit of both. Can take a mark, can exploit a shorter defender, is super smart with his leading and offers plenty at ground level. Can play forward ruck but is better when he doesn't as it allows him to play a hard running half forward role and rest deep at times on a smaller defender, say if DeKoning is the forward ruck.

Then there is Owies who plays a similar role to Silvagni but does not have the aerial ability, instead is more active at ground level and is very good with pressure.

Then there is DeKoning who has not really cemented a forward line role but is showing potential to do so. When he is forward however he commands a third tall defender to defend, someone who may often sit in the hole and block other forwards, he also makes them play a smaller opponent on Silvagni or Owies so they can be more active in the air so he really opens things up for others and allows more freedom for others even if he's not taking marks and kicking goals. Obviously you aren't going to get ground level stuff from him.

Then there is Martin. Martin is different again. Good at leading at marking but also at ground level.

We have a wealth of forward quality. Honey can not be written off. Lemmy is a chance to come in as a forward ruck if his form is up there. Cuningham is a bit forgotten but can play half forward pretty well.

This is one of the toughest ones to call because so many combinations work for us and there are going to be really good players missing out.

Last year we also had Walsh playing half forward flank when all our midfielders were in as well so another thing to consider.

I think there are a few things we need to go forward as a team from our forwards. One of the pockets has to be able to go on the ball or wing for bursts. That could be Durdin or Motlop. It's been Fisher at times but half forward is a hard running role so going onto the ball from half forward, it's not really resting a player, it's just magnet shuffling. Then there is forward ruck. We will want a proper forward/ruck. That has to be DeKoning or Lemmy if he develops quickly. I think Silvagni goes back to just being a forward IMO. A few things that have been missing from our team IMO.

The other thing that goes with a forward who goes into the middle is a midfielder who can go forward. It's Cripps. When Cripps was able to go forward and kick goals we were at our best, then we lost this with injuries. We need to be able to do this consistently. Same as Richmond have with Martin. So one of our forward pockets needs to be able to go in there and play a bit of midfield. IMO it has to be Durdin or Motlop. Fisher as a half forward, IMO half forward/halfback to midfield is not a proper rotation.

Harry McKay doesn't make your forward line Ash24 ?!

Martin - Curnow - Durdin
Motlop - McKay - De Koning

IC - Silvagni - Fisher (will get outside mid and fwd minutes when all 7 (and Pittonet in the ruck) are healthy)

Would love to see one or two of Honey, Kemp and Lemmey earning regular opportunities throughout the season of their own accord (i.e. not because of injuries) as it would really add another layer to our forward play.

Sadly, I see Owies as backup relief this year. Would love to be proven wrong but needs to be more damaging and a bigger threat when going forward. Unfortunately, his inability to penetrate and hit the scoreboard consistently really hurts at times despite the fact that his effort can never be questioned.

Last edited:
Back