Cricinfo

The quality of cricinfo writing is pretty much unmatched, aside from Haigh & Atherton whose articles are weekly and behind paywalls - thought they covered the associate qualifiers superbly (and very visibly) so I don't get that criticism at all? Generally take the contrarian stance to the BCCI so am not seeing the issue there either.

Unmatched =/= great. They were once both, but not these days.

There's a paucity of cricket media in general. Cricbuzz is working their way up, but they are even more India-centric than Cricinfo.

Contrarian to the BCCI also =/= not Indian-centric.

Their coverage of the WCQ was not superb at all. Their ball-by-ball for WCL2 was far better, and that was hardly great. Their match summaries were mostly written by people who hadn't seen the match and were just going off the scorecard, which resulted in some clear errors to anyone who had at least been following the ball-by-ball.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Am I the only who cops a barrage of Victorian Liberal Party ads every time I check cricinfo? Red shirts this, red shirts that - every time without fail now, there they are at the bottom.

Just **** off seriously.

AdBlock Plus Doss.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Am I the only who cops a barrage of Victorian Liberal Party ads every time I check cricinfo? Red shirts this, red shirts that - every time without fail now, there they are at the bottom.

Just **** off seriously.

I use adblocking software like a normal person.

so they doubled down (on the pro-India content) and turned people away, or they're doubling down to try to win them back?

Neither. They're just wasting money on 'content' no-one is interested in, cutting staff and not fixing broken parts of their archive, while failing to show important information about cricket around the world. Beyond the big boys, it is very hard to find information about international or domestic cricket. Cricbuzz is slowly building up their coverage, even though most of their writing is clearly done in Bangalore. Their site still has a lot of wasted space and isn't especially easy to navigate, but if they could get their hands on Statsguru and the Wisden Archive, they'd be set.

One of the things I have long found really frustrating about the Wisden archives is, as you get to about 2006 onwards, a decent number of series seem to be missing altogether.

For example, look at the both the 2010 and 2009 archives and try and find the West Indies v England series of 2008/09; it's just not there.

One of the things I have long found really frustrating about the Wisden archives is, as you get to about 2006 onwards, a decent number of series seem to be missing altogether.

For example, look at the both the 2010 and 2009 archives and try and find the West Indies v England series of 2008/09; it's just not there.
Buy a hard copy ya tight arse.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone know a website which let's you look at FC stats minus Tests easily? I think cricketarchive used to do it before they locked it behind a paywall (even though all the stats were contributed for free by volunteers. Man I hate the guy behind that decision).

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast

Insight was the only thing that attracted me to cricinfo and now its gone. I loved how easy it was to use.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone know a website which let's you look at FC stats minus Tests easily? I think cricketarchive used to do it before they locked it behind a paywall (even though all the stats were contributed for free by volunteers. Man I hate the guy behind that decision).

Ahhh, I didn't know it was behind a paywall. Shows how long it is since I've been there.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
New website is horrible but I feel like I say that every time until I get used to it.

This GOAT T20 poll outrage that's come out though is hilarious. For those unaware cricinfo was running a poll for thr greatest ever t20 player. The quarter final match up was Gayle v Kohli and Gayle won by a tiny margin however apparently the graphic has an hour or so delay so when the poll ended it said Kohli was ahead before updating. Indian twitter at it's worst went into action and Cricinfo have had to re-open the poll :D

New website is horrible but I feel like I say that every time until I get used to it.

This GOAT T20 poll outrage that's come out though is hilarious. For those unaware cricinfo was running a poll for thr greatest ever t20 player. The quarter final match up was Gayle v Kohli and Gayle won by a tiny margin however apparently the graphic has an hour or so delay so when the poll ended it said Kohli was ahead before updating. Indian twitter at it's worst went into action and Cricinfo have had to re-open the poll :D

Gayle is winning 60% to 40% as I type this.

Back