Your 3k time trial??

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill reps are your friend. Any gradient really, but steeper is really good for strength and technique work. Steep hills force you to run up on the mid/front part of your foot, as well as driving your knee through during the recovery phase. It's also high-intensity/relatively low impact. Bad running technique will be quickly found out by hill running.

I'd also highly recommend riding a bike as cross-training (mostly high cadence spinning) as it is low impact and dramatically increases leg strength. Also playing a running-based team sport (soccer, touch etc.) is a great way to 'incidentally' improve running times through increased aerobic capacity, strength and agility.
i think you are on the money. thanks a lot for the advice. i am going to maybe start cycling at the gym and will definitely swim again. dont know why but i feel i will be more physically powerful running in shorts than track pants. need to try it out.

used to be able to do 13 on the beep test (what would be the equivalent time for a 3km run) in year 10 (3 years ago when i played junior footy) which was very good for my year level. quit footy for studying and have gained weight since for doing f all exercise while eating not necessarily healthily. i have just recently started running around Princes Park (3.2km track) every 2-3 days because of shin recovery. i can do the first 1.8km without stopping at a decent pace. then i need a breather where i walk around 0.7km and finally i jog at a slower pace battling the last 0.7km. i think my running technique has faults. like to do 3kms without stopping around the 14 min mark which i think i used to be able to run. should i keep training the way i am? any tips?
lol at my post. cant just expect to return to peak fitness immediately after a long lay off. have found my perfect running technique now. can now do 5kms straight fairly relaxed at a good pace. feel normal and fresh/not panting hard immediately after running as well. will try and aim for 7kms straight but need to be careful not to push myself too hard. and running in shorts instead of tracksuit/sweatpants makes a difference as well.

I did 3 x 1km trials a couple of weekends ago with 4 mins between each

My times were;

3:43
3:31
3:47

I live in a hilly area so the second one was a relative flat with two downhills which is why the time was a little faster. The first one had two uphills, the last was flat as well.

I did 3 x 1km trials a couple of weekends ago with 4 mins between each

My times were;

3:43
3:47

I live in a hilly area so the second one was a relative flat with two downhills which is why the time was a little faster. The first one had two uphills, the last was flat as well.

So I retested these runs this afternoon,

3:28
3:42

Overall pretty happy all times improved, the second run I was a little slow through the middle section and would of liked to go another 5-6 seconds faster.

2km time trial this morning;

7:46 12 seconds faster than 5 weeks ago

Retested my 2km time trial last night

7:35

I’m hoping to run sub 7:30 next week when we are back training and do the 2km as a group. I find having others around me I can pace my runs a lot better.

I did the same 2km time trial again. I ran 7:32 an improvement but knowing I will do this run again I know I left something in the tank.

I rested for 8 mins and the broke the 2km up into 3 sections (approx meters)

1st section was 650m I ran it in 2:09
3:30 min rest
2nd section was 800m I ran it in 2:43
4 min rest
3rd section was 550m I ran it in 1:59

For a total of 6:51 (if my maths is right)

I used to rate myself as a recreational runner, but I later learnt I wasn't that good. :D I could never crack 3m35s per km over 4 to 5km

I never timed myself over 3km, but my PB over 4km was 14m21, and my 5km was 18m22. However, I might have to measure the loops again

I didn't know what intervals were back then, so maybe doing them might've improved my times. Incidentally, I was 182cm and about 77kg at the time, with a little upper body muscle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

never done a 3km
but I did 1km in 3:04
and 4Km at 15:47
that was a while ago now but 185cm and 81Kg

Back into footy pre-season.
To avoid/delay a reoccurrence or shin splints I’ve just been doing my own running away from the main group (which means I can track what I’m running).
Mostly been doing paced 400s with a lap in between (adding a 400 each work) to try and increase my general ground coverage speed (I’m a decent sprinter; can hang with a guy in our side that was a state level 100m; and can plod along all day long but really struggle in between)
Up to 6 atm and I can steadily go between 1:05-1:10 without any real great effort. On my 6th Monday night I put in a little more over the last 50m and got it down to 1:02, which given it is hand timed by me and I leave the stock watch on the ground might have meant I actually broke the 1min mark.

Anyway, did my first longer run tonight because I couldn’t get to training and ran a kinda comfy 11:43 over 2.8km. I say kinda cos my lungs were fine but my calves started to seize up a bit.
We’ve got a 6min time trial just after Xmas so curious to what I hit there after another 4-6 weeks of 400s and some guys (and the netballers) to go against

Back into footy pre-season.
To avoid/delay a reoccurrence or shin splints I’ve just been doing my own running away from the main group (which means I can track what I’m running).
Mostly been doing paced 400s with a lap in between (adding a 400 each work) to try and increase my general ground coverage speed (I’m a decent sprinter; can hang with a guy in our side that was a state level 100m; and can plod along all day long but really struggle in between)
Up to 6 atm and I can steadily go between 1:05-1:10 without any real great effort. On my 6th Monday night I put in a little more over the last 50m and got it down to 1:02, which given it is hand timed by me and I leave the stock watch on the ground might have meant I actually broke the 1min mark.

Anyway, did my first longer run tonight because I couldn’t get to training and ran a kinda comfy 11:43 over 2.8km. I say kinda cos my lungs were fine but my calves started to seize up a bit.
We’ve got a 6min time trial just after Xmas so curious to what I hit there after another 4-6 weeks of 400s and some guys (and the netballers) to go against

1 min 400s on grass is very handy.

We did our 2.1km time trial last week on the bike rack it’s a bit up and down.

My time was 8:43, not great at all but considering it was my third run since end of season I didn’t set my expectations to high.

I’ve never been quick but the further I run the better I get becuse everyone else drops off.

I ran 15:46 tonight about an hour and a half after a pretty big dinner and a Shoulder/Bicep/Tricep session at the gym this morning with some abs thrown in afterward. Felt good running in a lung sense but my gut was heavy and uncomfortable. Down from 19 minutes about 2 and a half months ago. Hadn't done anything since round 3 last year when I ruptured the UCL in my thumb and had surgery to fix it. I'm 37 in April, 6 foot 6 and was about 105 KG back then and I'd be down to about 101-100 atm.

The 3km course is flat for 900 m, climbs about 20-25 m over the next 900m then its down and flat for the rest of the course. After tonight I think 13:30 is a realistic goal given I stopped to walk 3 times in the last 800 metres. I'm thinking to throw in a cross fit session once a week. Doing 2-3 sessions in the gym and running about 2 times a week. Wondering if cross fit or some interval work might help a bit??

Played to a fairly high level as a youngster and country A grade till today but trying to get a bit fitter this year, any suggestions?

I ran 15:46 tonight about an hour and a half after a pretty big dinner and a Shoulder/Bicep/Tricep session at the gym this morning with some abs thrown in afterward. Felt good running in a lung sense but my gut was heavy and uncomfortable. Down from 19 minutes about 2 and a half months ago. Hadn't done anything since round 3 last year when I ruptured the UCL in my thumb and had surgery to fix it. I'm 37 in April, 6 foot 6 and was about 105 KG back then and I'd be down to about 101-100 atm.

The 3km course is flat for 900 m, climbs about 20-25 m over the next 900m then its down and flat for the rest of the course. After tonight I think 13:30 is a realistic goal given I stopped to walk 3 times in the last 800 metres. I'm thinking to throw in a cross fit session once a week. Doing 2-3 sessions in the gym and running about 2 times a week. Wondering if cross fit or some interval work might help a bit??

Played to a fairly high level as a youngster and country A grade till today but trying to get a bit fitter this year, any suggestions?
Can’t answer much to do with cardio as it’s the devil.. but how many height jokes do you hear? :p.

It's not like 6 foot 8, thats starting to get into freaky territory. :( haha 198cm to be more accurate

Our ruckman is ex-Brisbane academy and a gangly 6’9”. I agree that 2m seems to be the threshold for when guys start looking really tall.
As to your original question - anything that improves your overall fitness should serve to help your running capacity.

RULE - Don't train a physical quality (essentially testing your max each time), train to build it

Enter threshold training.

Do a 6min run on a footy ground goal line to goal line with changes of direction.

Each goal line is 1 so up and back is 2 etc

Let me know what 3rd of the ground you finish in as well (0 - 50 / 50 - 100 / 100 - 150m)

Then I can set it up for ya

Anyone else do Parkrun of a Saturday morning? It's 5km, so longer than I would normally do but it's a good excuse to get out of the house early during the off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back