Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see McHenry and Jones up there and Milera leading again. Geez ROb is in great nick at the moment. I might have to slot him in to first ruck soon

Was the whole group involved in the Time Trial? I don't want to discount the winner's efforts, but I do wonder whether the more established players really do give their all in these things or whether they know to pace themselves?

Was the whole group involved in the Time Trial? I don't want to discount the winner's efforts, but I do wonder whether the more established players really do give their all in these things or whether they know to pace themselves?

It's a race against your own previous time, basically. Obviously someone like Jenkins isn't going to beat Milera on pure time.

The point is that we have our young kids in the Top 5 of an AFL time trial in their first pre-season. Impressive.

Sounds like there was 2 groups? They said Hunter finished first in another group followed by Doedee. Not sure how they're splitting it.

Milera's role this season will be fascinating. A lot of people will want him to go into the midfield straight away but personally I hope he spends the lions share of his time running off the HBF. His play last season was electric and he suits running at the ball from a kick behind. I dont want him to change his role too drastically and see him lose any of the confident play we saw last year.

I have no doubt that he eventually goes into the midfield for us, but this season I think he would be best served doing it in 5 minute bursts at the end of quarters. Maybe increasing in the second half of blow out games.

Great to see ROB up there with the leaders. Must get games into him this year.
McHenry has that great will to win, which is something that can't be taught. I like the cut of his jib.
Yeah I like McHenry a lot now. I'll admit I was a bit downtrodden when his name was read out on draft night, but glad I held back from melting down before checking him out properly.

And now, everything I see and read about the kid I really like!

Milera's role this season will be fascinating. A lot of people will want him to go into the midfield straight away but personally I hope he spends the lions share of his time running off the HBF. His play last season was electric and he suits running at the ball from a kick behind. I dont want him to change his role too drastically and see him lose any of the confident play we saw last year.

I have no doubt that he eventually goes into the midfield for us, but this season I think he would be best served doing it in 5 minute bursts at the end of quarters. Maybe increasing in the second half of blow out games.
Midfield for mine. Brad and Milera into the mids completely changes our dynamic from one-paced followers and adds some evasive break-away capacity.

Reckon he will thrive in there, candy-selling and side-stepping his way to glory.

It's done on the first day back to compare their fitness with how they left, if you don't do well in it, it means that you will be given extra loads to catch up to where you should be fitness wise, so I would bet everyone tries to get the best time possible to avoid doing extra laps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield for mine. Brad and Milera into the mids completely changes our dynamic from one-paced followers and adds some evasive break-away capacity.

Reckon he will thrive in there, candy-selling and side-stepping his way to glory.
I 100% agree he has the pace and evasiveness to change our midfield completely. But he's never played full time AFL midfield (I don't really count playing wing as playing midfield either). That's why I personally think he still needs a year of easing into it as a rotational midfielder.

Then watch out AFL in 2020!

Exactly and of all our midfielders which one would you want delivering to the forwards? Milera hands down. Plus he’d be the most dangerous close to goals.

I 100% agree he has the pace and evasiveness to change our midfield completely. But he's never played full time AFL midfield (I don't really count playing wing as playing midfield either). That's why I personally think he still needs a year of easing into it as a rotational midfielder.

Did Macca before he killed it in the finals?

Different game back then, and Blight was a very different man to anyone coaching now.
It’s still football and whether Blight is a different man is irrelevant, it’s whether Milera is capable or whether we are so rigid we have to stick to some bullshit timeline.

We have 2 JLT games to trial him in, hell even if we give him 2 games and it doesn’t work what happens? We move him and nothing is lost.

Our defence doesn’t need him with Smith back but our midfield and our team as a result could hugely benefit. We must see it in him as we gave him a quarter against Carlton.

Different game back then, and Blight was a very different man to anyone coaching now.
We've already seen what he can do when surrounded by packs of midfielders - he takes responsibility and gets around them and just sees the best option, gets it out and hits his target.

Virtually always turns a threatening situation into an advantage. It's very McLeod-esque

Outstanding effort by Ned and Chayce. Given that Wayne is the current benchmark, he wasn't pushing top 3 in his first year IIRC. So these two should have everybody covered in a couple of years. Interesting to hear Dougy say we are looking to replicate the Richmond high pressure forward line. Ned and Chayce a great chance to both slot into our best 22 forward line. I wonder how Murphy is doing with building up his tank. Loved what he was bringing at times last season, but he'll be lucky if these two aren't already past him by R1.

Really positive to see ROB up there. I was very disappointed we didnt go out and get a new number 1, but hopefully ROB can surprise. Surely he gets games this year.

The only thing a draftee or list player can do is make sure they are giving 100% and are ready to go. ROB and others seem to be doing that

Put pressure on the incumbents

Make it hard for the coaches NOT to pick them

Milera so far has played midfield, wing HB and has spent some small amount of time forward, with this in mind easily his best footy has been across HB.

Moving Milera to the midfield does not necessarily mean that his late 2018 form will roll over to the midfield, there is a risk that further chopping and changing of his role so early in his career could actually disrupt his 2018 late season form.

I am one that is a strong advocate of Jnr spending another season at HB with maybe gradually increasing his midfield time as we journey through the season

Back