Preview Portkidz vs Lioncubz at the Gabba Sat April 6th 6.55pm Adelaide time

Remove this Banner Ad

In the first two rounds Brisbane has been getting a lot of scoreboard impact from their midfield - Zorko and McCluggage especially. This is something we will need to be wary of.

I think Rockliff, Boak, Wines and Lycett (when it hits the deck) is a formidable unit and should be highly competitive. I do think the Lions 2nd string midfield (e.g. Berry, Lyons, Mathieson) bats a bit deeper than ours (Ebert, Motlop, Butters, Duursma, SPP) but to combat this BOTH our rucks are much better than Brisbane's second option McInerny, so we should have the advantage there.

Brisbane's forward line has gotten off to a very good start this season and have been scoring higher and more efficiently than ours - however that could mainly be due to the conditions both sides experienced in Rd 2 (Rain at AO, indoors at Docklands) so its hard to judge who has the more effective forward set up at this point.

In the past, getting a hold of the contested footy has meant the Lions game-plan has fallen apart - I'd be hoping we'd be targeting this area.

If it's humid on Saturday we might see a similar game to the 3rd and 4th quarters vs Carlton as it could potentially be difficult to execute our aggressive handball game from early in the season as clean hands might be tough to find (except Butters). If the conditions are relatively dry we should be ok.

I think if we play the way we've played since JLT 2 we'll be right in this, but I think it will be a very tight game as the Lions have been looking solid and even had a few decent wins at the Gabba last season as well as Rd 1 vs West Coast.

Jarrod is considered to be at that break out stage, often compared to Cripps at Carlton but the maniac supporters. He showed last year he can play as a tagger and run up his own numbers. He is probably finding his way this year in the first 2 games, last year he was helping out as an inside mid but with Neale and Lyons playing there Berry got advised in the off season he would be on the outside and won the pre season 10km trials, turned himself into a running machine. Some tip him as a future captain also, he is very dedicated and sets great examples. With his younger brother now on the list we have a real family appeal. They lost their mother in 2014 (I Think) but their dad still lives in Victoria but comes up for every game to see his boys. Jarrod is a big unit, as close as we have to a mid field bull, he can drop forward and take a good overhead mark which makes him dangerous. Probably another half season to really break out but with his best mate McCluggage we have two beauties that might just become elite. Ohhhh to have a couple of elite players like Voss, Lappin, Black and Ackermanis running around in the middle again.

10K timetrials? That is pretty unique, most clubs have 2 or 3. Do you know how long the Lions have done 10K Timetrials?

10K timetrials? That is pretty unique, most clubs have 2 or 3. Do you know how long the Lions have done 10K Timetrials?

Never as far as I am aware. We do the 2 and 3k ones like everyone else.

In the first two rounds Brisbane has been getting a lot of scoreboard impact from their midfield - Zorko and McCluggage especially. This is something we will need to be wary of.

I think Rockliff, Boak, Wines and Lycett (when it hits the deck) is a formidable unit and should be highly competitive. I do think the Lions 2nd string midfield (e.g. Berry, Lyons, Mathieson) bats a bit deeper than ours (Ebert, Motlop, Butters, Duursma, SPP) but to combat this BOTH our rucks are much better than Brisbane's second option McInerny, so we should have the advantage there.

Brisbane's forward line has gotten off to a very good start this season and have been scoring higher and more efficiently than ours - however that could mainly be due to the conditions both sides experienced in Rd 2 (Rain at AO, indoors at Docklands) so its hard to judge who has the more effective forward set up at this point.

In the past, getting a hold of the contested footy has meant the Lions game-plan has fallen apart - I'd be hoping we'd be targeting this area.

If it's humid on Saturday we might see a similar game to the 3rd and 4th quarters vs Carlton as it could potentially be difficult to execute our aggressive handball game from early in the season as clean hands might be tough to find (except Butters). If the conditions are relatively dry we should be ok.

I think if we play the way we've played since JLT 2 we'll be right in this, but I think it will be a very tight game as the Lions have been looking solid and even had a few decent wins at the Gabba last season as well as Rd 1 vs West Coast.

Dude, our secondary midfield has Robbie Gray in it. Ebert is spending 88% of his time up forward.

Theirs is considerably worse.

AH back to the days of the early 200o's when we were the best two teams in the comp. We had some ripper games where you didn't know the result till inside the last minute.

Best rivalry of the early 2000s. Would go close to being the rivalry of that decade in a tossup with WCE/SYD. Of course you only hear about Geelong and hawthorn because of.the 08 grand final.

The Brisbane Port rivalry of the early 2000s was as exciting as you could possibly get. Brisbane were the hard nosed tough bruisers whilst Port were a slick side that for a few years seemed to go missing in September. But those games were just dynamite. The regular season game at the GABBA in 2003 and the last game of the home and away season in 2002 were some of the best games of the modern era.

This rivalry in that period reminds me a lot of Kobe's Lakers vs LeBrons Cavs from 2007-2010, except those two never made the NBA finals in the same year. It's a shame that we only faced off once during that period because they were by far the two best teams of that time. Then again, had they never met in 2004, it may have been the greatest rivalry that never was.

Dude, our secondary midfield has Robbie Gray in it. Ebert is spending 88% of his time up forward.

Thats higher than i thought
I had him penciled in for less
midfield time when Wines returns

Who do you think will lose the majority of midfield minutes with the Wines inclusion

Thats higher than i thought
I had him penciled in for less
midfield time when Wines returns

Who do you think will lose the majority of midfield minutes with the Wines inclusion

Hard to say - Wines is looking much sleeker from the vision I’ve seen of him so he might be able to spend most of his time in there. Ordinarily I’d say Drew would make way but he’s been really good and I don’t think Ken will disrupt his development if he’s playing well.

The less time Robbie has to spend in the middle, the better the team is going, because it means he can be dangerous up forward.

Reckon it would most likely be

1st Tier
Lycett, Rockliff, Boak, Wines

2nd Tier
Ryder, R Gray, SPP, Drew

With Duursma, Motlop, Butters and Ebert all able to chop in.

Put Powell-Pepper in the first tier instead of Boak. Travis was in there to replace Wines - I’d rather put him off of half forward with Motlop than put Sam there.

Group one is your bash and crash midfield - the guys that will be able to charge through the corridor with force like a juggernaut but also will wear down opposition mids. Powell-Pepper got into the back of Cripps at one stoppage and completely ****ed him up to the point he got a blood nose - that’s the sort of destruction that makes opposing mids worries about going for the ball.

Group two is your finesse guys - the guys who can exploit the space that group one creates by wearing the opposition down.

The club says we want the opposition to feel they’ve played Port the next week. That means group one will get the majority of stoppages.

I think Wines is going to surprise a lot of people. He’ll be more explosive and in motion at stoppages and be very hard to stop. Imagine a stronger version of 2019 Powell-Pepper, and that’s Wines.

Reckon it would most likely be

1st Tier
Lycett, Rockliff, Boak, Wines

2nd Tier
Ryder, R Gray, SPP, Drew

With Duursma, Motlop, Butters and Ebert all able to chop in.
Hard to say - Wines is looking much sleeker from the vision I’ve seen of him so he might be able to spend most of his time in there. Ordinarily I’d say Drew would make way but he’s been really good and I don’t think Ken will disrupt his development if he’s playing well.

The less time Robbie has to spend in the middle, the better the team is going, because it means he can be dangerous up forward.

Put Powell-Pepper in the first tier instead of Boak. Travis was in there to replace Wines - I’d rather put him off of half forward with Motlop than put Sam there.

Group one is your bash and crash midfield - the guys that will be able to charge through the corridor with force like a juggernaut but also will wear down opposition mids. Powell-Pepper got into the back of Cripps at one stoppage and completely ****** him up to the point he got a blood nose - that’s the sort of destruction that makes opposing mids worries about going for the ball.

Group two is your finesse guys - the guys who can exploit the space that group one creates by wearing the opposition down.

The club says we want the opposition to feel they’ve played Port the next week. That means group one will get the majority of stoppages.

I think Wines is going to surprise a lot of people. He’ll be more explosive and in motion at stoppages and be very hard to stop. Imagine a stronger version of 2019 Powell-Pepper, and that’s Wines.
So, it would be:

1st Tier - Lycett, Rockliff, SPP, and Wines (+ Drew/?)
2nd Tier - Ryder, Boak, Ebert, and R. Gray (+ Duursma/?)

Is that it?

Best rivalry of the early 2000s. Would go close to being the rivalry of that decade in a tossup with WCE/SYD. Of course you only hear about Geelong and hawthorn because of.the 08 grand final.

The Brisbane Port rivalry of the early 2000s was as exciting as you could possibly get. Brisbane were the hard nosed tough bruisers whilst Port were a slick side that for a few years seemed to go missing in September. But those games were just dynamite. The regular season game at the GABBA in 2003 and the last game of the home and away season in 2002 were some of the best games of the modern era.

This rivalry in that period reminds me a lot of Kobe's Lakers vs LeBrons Cavs from 2007-2010, except those two never made the NBA finals in the same year. It's a shame that we only faced off once during that period because they were by far the two best teams of that time. Then again, had they never met in 2004, it may have been the greatest rivalry that never was.
Yes the early 2000 s were the best.

I certainly am nervous about this one.

Brisbane are looking pretty good.

Their board is almost overconfident that they will win..certainly up and about are they.

A shame if it turns out that the basketcase they were really have overtaken us while we have stuffed around going nowhere for the past fove years.

Totally agree, but Robbies only been ok to start the year.

Hopefully he fires up this week, or at least starts converting a couple more opportunities when he's up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You missed the really cool one in our forward 50 where he LOOKED RIGHT AT MCCLUGGAGE and then turned away from him to look for a target, letting McCluggage just tackle him without any evasive attempt. Gave us a goal and the momentum to pile on several more.

Kids got tricks but thats it. When we lost him I thought he'd be the biggest loss, but so far its Yeo, closely followed by Docherty. Id take Crisp or Aish back before Polec now.
Hell, you guys bled some serious talent for a while there, Redden, Polec, Crisp, Yeo, Docherty, Aish. Well done on reversing things around!

.... BOTH our rucks are much better than Brisbane's second option McInerny, so we should have the advantage there ....
I don't know enough about McInerny to comment, but Ryder's not been at his best so perhaps more even than you think. Of course if Paddy can switch on, even for a part of the game, it will make it hard for them.

Yes
I don't know enough about McInerny to comment, but Ryder's not been at his best so perhaps more even than you think. Of course if Paddy can switch on, even for a part of the game, it will make it hard for them.
Paddy has been a worry the last year or so...I hope he can get back to his best but perhaps it won’t happen. Thank goodness we have Lycett at least.

I thought Brisbane were really good at home last year but they actually went 2-9 at home and 3-8 away.

Although they did have very close losses against Collingwood, North, Adelaide and Gold Coast.

I’m very very worried. I feel like Brisbane are almost in a Western Bulldogs end of 2016 type run at the moment and have the belief to beat anyone in the league.

Seeing them to end last year and the changes they’ve had in culture and belief with the new coach, CEO and basically full team I think they’ll definitely be somewhere around 5-9th this year and if they win this they could easily be 6-1.

I have a feeling they are going to smash us and end up winning by 40-50 points.

True but Ryder has been winning a good % of hit outs but not really converting them to Hitouts to Advantage, so beating the opposition ruck but maybe not getting the ball in the right spots often enough - if he can tidy that up a bit we'll be good in the ruck department imo.

He definitely needs to lift for us around the ground a fair bit though!

I'm doing a review of the North-Brisbane game and I just need to show people this moment of stupidity from guess who:

giphy.gif

Can anyone tell me why Polec decided to sprint 30 meters to stand the mark, leaving behind empty space to which Hodge delivered an easy ball inside 50 to McCarthy - right in the zone Polec was guarding? Especially since he could see that Brown was going to get there anyway? The only reason I can think of is that standing a mark registers a pressure act and Polec is all about doing the easy stuff when it comes to defence.

LOL it gets even worse - what the **** is he doing here??

giphy.gif

If you want to know where he is - he's the guy at the top of the screen at the start of the clip with absolutely no opponent who just walking around doing **** all to help his teammates win the ball. I've heard of outside players - but this guy is so outside he's in outer space.

A friend of mine was such an outside player he could get a hot dog from the canteen as he ran down the wing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really nervous about this one. Brisbane showed in their first 2 games that they're never beaten - you don't give West Coast a 5 goal head start and still smash them, if you can't play. I'll be ecstatic with a 1 point win!!!

Sorry to interrupt the Brisbane love in but there appears to be a bit of overrating the lions going on here.

They have a very promising future but there results so far this year in the tiny sample size of two games are literally identical to ours.

What have I missed?

I'm not going to s**t the bed so easily, it will be a tough assignment but I think wines will turn it on and we will get the job done by 15 points.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry to interrupt the Brisbane love in but there appears to be a bit of overrating the lions going on here.

They have a very promising future but there results so far this year in the tiny sample size of two games are literally identical to ours.

What have I missed?

I'm not going to s**t the bed so easily, it will be a tough assignment but I think wines will turn it on and we will get the job done by 15 points.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not “literally identical” as their percentage is significantly ahead of ours thanks largely to smashing the reigning premier by 8 goals. It was an impressive performance but I also agree that one swallow doesn’t make a summer. A win is certainly on the cards if we select and play well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back