Preview Portkidz vs Lioncubz at the Gabba Sat April 6th 6.55pm Adelaide time

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys will give us a fright if not beat us I reckon. Haven't really watched much of you the last year or so but the stats show you are good at winning the clearance. The reason we had so much success against WC/North is because we dominated that area. I think the way the rules are set up this year with the 6-6-6 zones really suits us and that's why we've had some early success. Teams aren't able to throw a man back to stop our fast break from the middle.

The cherry on top for us is our defensive zone that we've implemented has been pretty successful too.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you guys will have much more success winning the ball out of the middle which means when we do win it we are going to need to execute up forward. The first half against North was a shocking display of forward 50 entries from us. If it goes the same way you guys might smack us out the park basically. So for me the key to this game is the Brisbane forward entries vs. the Port defence/rebound of those entries. You guys were one of the top teams in defensive 50 rebounds last year but rank lowly so far this year. Hard to pick a winner

Port by 5 points.

Looking forward to this game. I think it will be a tough one up there. Definitely winnable and I'll back us in to get the 4 points at the Gabba, besides that loss in 2015 we usually play well up there. Win the ruck and midfield battle and we should win the game.

Us by 17 points, Rockliff and Lycett BOG, Rozee to kick 5.

Lions be good so we’ll have to be on our game to get the chocolates here.

One thing that helps is that we should be very well versed in the conditions. We played in 30 degree heat against Melbourne and in the wet versus Carlton, which should hold us in good stead for the classic Queensland weather that we’ll face on Saturday night.

Like others have said I’d like to see Howard in for Watts, love his reach and them one percenters. Otherwise I feel like we’ll be playing a bit too short in defence unless we swing Westy back there as an interceptor for the majority of the game.

Are you suggesting to slow the game down? How big is the field at the Gabba?
Very similar to the MCG. When it was first starting being redeveloped in the early 1990's they said they wanted it a similar size. It used to be a smallish cricket ground with a dog track around it for greyhound racing.

Boundary to boundary (not fence to fence) MCG is 162m x 139m Gabba is 156m x 137m.

Night games at the Gabba there is more humidity than Adelaide and therefore more dew on the grass. Shouldn't make a big difference this time of year but does in September. It's a big reason why Brisbane has a 12-0 finals record at the Gabba as its still cold down south and the humidity is still low.

Sad to think considering where Brisbane have been the last decade, they will probably start as favourites. Doesn't say much for our progress.
Brisbane by 34 points.
They are $1.59 this morning at sportsbet.

I wonder who gets the role on Cameron? The last few years it would have been DBJ or Jonas and in his current form Cameron would certainly have killed us. I’d have a lot more confidence in Houston taking that match up.
When I see your avatar I keep thinking, I dont remember posting that.

Lions by 28.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think their first 2 games have been any better than ours. I guess they go in as favourites due to the home ground advantage but statistics suggest we are actually a better side away from home.

Lol Brisbane is good, but they’re not THAT good. The reason why they won against North Melbourne is because in the first quarter when North was on top Polec was rolling back to get into defence and slowing down their aggressive movement. As soon as he said “* this” (like he always does), the Lions were able to use their run and carry to rebound the ball efficiently.

This will be the first time Brisbane has played against a defence that will exploit their aggressive style consistently. We need more of Byrne-Jones and Bonner pushing up the field and defending high (they are both s**t as deep defenders), and then use the likes of Clurey, Jonas and Hartlett/Broadbent as deep defenders who intercept the high ball. Sadly, Watts would have been perfect for this game.

Or if you want to play Howard, drop Bonner and bring in Hartlett to play alongside Burton, Houston and Byrne-Jones as the defenders who push into midfield.

Get Wines in the midfield to sit the Lions back on their heels, and let him, Pep, Rocky and Boak get to work.

If Carlton in Port 2013, the Lions are Port 2014. And we all know Port 2014 struggled against teams that got support back into defence - that’s how they became Port 2015.

This will be easier than the Carlton game.

Will be close, very close I think!

I really can't pick a winner at the moment.

Momentum on the day, maybe in the 1st qtr could be crucial and may be hard to stop if either team gets a run on going.

I remember what Port did to Richmond in the 1st qtr of that final a few years back.

The Lions sprayed the ball all over the place in the 1st qtr. A better team than Nth Melbourne probably would have made us pay for it.

Matching up on Robbie Gray is going to be crucial. He is such a gun player. Westhoff in great form too.

A draw for me!

I can sense every game this season is going to be the "wakeup call" game and well...this one isnt any different. I think it'll come down to the wire, and be barely 5 points either way. Depends who has the legs in the last.

Rockliff will probably get 40+ touches against us as well :( But hey, we beat Mercenary Polec for you guys! :)

Here’s an interesting stat:

• Chris Fagan age coaching yesterday: 57y 281d

• Jack Cahill age coaching his last game for the Power: 58y 125d

For some reason when I think back to the time of Jack not getting renewed I picture him as a near-geriatric dinosaur who as far as modern footy was concerned, had well and truly run his race in spite of the miracles he’d worked instantly transforming the list into a supercompetitive unit on the eve of contention.

When I picture Fagan I think of a late bloomer but with a freshness who has a decade or more’s tenure up his sleeve, despite him only just getting the Lions into any sort of shape.

Weird.

Brisbane remind me of how we're playing at the moment a bit. They're a young, exciting team that are playing above themselves and like us they're an immature team which means they're beatable because they're relatively inexperienced to all that can occur within a game.

Watching Fagan's press conference after the Roos game shows hes cautiously optimistic about his team and moreso hoping and not expecting the wins and good form can continue for the season.

Its a great matchup for us, whereas Melbourne were cooked and Carlton couldn't sustain the pressure over 4 quarters we'll be playing a team that will be harder to break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back