Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Monday 22 April @ MCG 3:20 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why but I wouldn't mind playing Zac Smith... Really stretch them in Hight in the Ruck and when he goes forward.. as there main tall defenders are out injured... And Stratton is no certain in playing after getting concussed last week.

Was expecting my PC screen to be running like lava. Not so. That shifty MC picked this weekend to be so ambiguous and avoid the BF explosion.

Not scary at all, well deserved. The melts and derision this bloke gets are over the top.

All those 4 "in"clusions can and have played great footy at times in the past. I'd be happy if all 4 were actually playing this week,

Dubs you wanted to drop Sav bring in Smith and play Taylor at CHF.

Difficult game to predict, but Hawthorn has the class, game-plan, team and know-how to beat us again.

True, but it is the Hawks we are playing at their home, who beat us 2x last year, and they also lost last week.

Glass half this, half that...
Like you, I hope for a win, I KNOW we CAN do it, but I certainly do NOT expect it this week or next week.
Yet I do believe we are a better team this year, and I did select us preseason to end up losing the GF, which is very glass half full in a losing way, for me.

Geelong are the better team losing grandfinal bound but this week we are in trouble.

And your concerned with me not wanting Parsons in the best 22. 😂

Geelong are the better team losing grandfinal bound but this week we are in trouble.

Nice selective quoting.
Rest Sav, although I didn't say to drop Sav, in fact I said he's nearly played his best last week.
Yes, Taylor CHF
Smith in good move.
That was a preseason poll on where we finish which I quoted.
Parsons would be as effective as CC, Atkins, Clark on recent form.
But he won't be in ahead of CG.

AFL Round Five Team

B: J Henry, M Blicavs, M O’Connor
HB: J Kolodjashnij, H Taylor, T Stewart
C: J Selwood, P Dangerfield, M Duncan
HF: L Dahlhaus, E Ratugolea, T Atkins
F: G Ablett, T Hawkins, G Rohan
R: R Stanley, T Kelly, B Parfitt
INT: J Clark, Z Smith, C Constable, S Menegola, C Guthrie, J Parsons, G Miers, Z Guthrie

IN: C Guthrie, Z Guthrie, J Parsons, Z Smith
OUT: -
Good looking team with or without changes on the bench.

So I ventured over to read the Hawthorn preview thread. They are a special breed over there. They're either complaining about umpires or injuries or hoping Geelong players suffer injury. A lower class of supporters you will not see.

And despite beating us when it matters on numerous occasions, Geelong as a club have mentally scarred a few.

Hawthorn have a good system, are well coached and still have some class players running around so if we take this match for granted and fail to work hard and put in maximum effort they could quite easily beat us. I still think we have them covered if our midfield click but we'll need to be our game defensively because as we've seen in the past, teams with good kicking skills who spread and run well off half back trouble us. We've fixed this issue somewhat over the first 4 weeks but last week our forwards didn't work hard enough nor were our mids willing enough to cover the slack.

Stanley needs to be mindful of McEvoy drifting forward because he does it often and as we all know can take a decent pack mark or bring the ball to ground for their small forwards to thrive on. Stanley did some good work drifting back to defense last week which surprised me a little. He has the work rate now to make McEvoy accountable. He'll be important on Monday.

I'd like to see Brownless handed and debut with Atkins rested. Atkins isn't doing enough at the moment and young Oscar has an impeccable appetite for the contest and can kick goals ... the big stage against a fierce rival is the perfect time to debut a player in my book. I'd also bring Guthrie in (yea I know, I never wanted to see him in the side again) and play him as a defensive forward. I think he could do a job on Sicily and it might rejuvenate his career.

I'd also bring Tuohy straight back even without match practise. We need his kicking penetration off half back along with his ability to find the ball and bit more than Clark. I think Clark looks tired and needs a rest.

My changes would be;

In: Brownless, C.Guthrie, Tuohy

Out: Atkins, Henry, Clark
Tuohy has no chance this week; will be lucky to get half a VFL game.
Brownless is way behind the guys on the bench as we post at present.
Stanley needs assistance in the ruck- Smith is best at that, surely.
Stanley can rest forward.

Nice selective quoting.
Rest Sav, although I didn't say to drop Sav, in fact I said he's nearly played his best last week.
Yes, Taylor CHF
Smith in good move.
That was a preseason poll on where we finish which I quoted.
Parsons would be as effective as CC, Atkins, Clark on recent form.
But he won't be in ahead of CG.

Was just from this earlier in this thread if CC is chook Constable thats a clear no. Clark no and Atkins is a defensive player and was o.k last week. A reason he is fully fit and in the twos. Obviously will play at some point not hopeless although I think he falls in the Murdoch, GHS category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not scary at all, well deserved. The melts and derision this bloke gets are over the top.
All those 4 "in"clusions can and have played great footy at times in the past. I'd be happy if all 4 were actually playing this week,

"Not scary at al, well deservedl" = incorrect
"The melts and derision this bloke gets are over the top" = incorrect
"All those 4 "inclusions can and have played great footy at times in the past" = incorrect
"I'd be happy if all 4 were actually playing this week" = *shakes head*

Thankfully we (VFL) play on Saturday, so ill only have to wait til then to be put out of my misery.

I just can’t see what Parsons brings - not an inside player, too slow and not great disposal skills (aside from a reasonably long kick), not a goal kicker or tackler - what is there to bring value for this game or to invest games into???

AFL Round Five Team

B:
J Henry, M Blicavs, M O’Connor

HB: J Kolodjashnij, H Taylor, T Stewart
C: J Selwood, P Dangerfield, M Duncan
HF: L Dahlhaus, E Ratugolea, T Atkins
F: G Ablett, T Hawkins, G Rohan
R: R Stanley, T Kelly, B Parfitt
INT: J Clark, Z Smith, C Constable, S Menegola, C Guthrie, J Parsons, G Miers, Z Guthrie

IN: C Guthrie, Z Guthrie, J Parsons, Z Smith
OUT: -

Esava is playing then bc Smith is less a fwd than any of our rucks. Not sure why Smith is in over Abbott.

I would have dropped Henry but I reckon it will be Constable out and Cam Guthrie in.

Esava is playing then bc Smith is less a fwd than any of our rucks. Not sure why Smith is in over Abbott.

I would have dropped Henry but I reckon it will be Constable out and Cam Guthrie in.
Of the extended IC Menegola and Miers are certainties so that leaves two of the rest and they’ve telegraphed C.Guthrie playing. So for the last spot Clark or Constable. Could be either.

I just can’t see what Parsons brings - not an inside player, too slow and not great disposal skills (aside from a reasonably long kick), not a goal kicker or tackler - what is there to bring value for this game or to invest games into???

I've grown ice cold on him like near everyone else here (rightly so). But at one point I liked how clean and clever he was and he seemed to read the play well for a very young player. But never really built on that (AFL wise) and his positives come to be badly outweighed by his negatives.

Of the extended IC Menegola and Miers are certainties so that leaves two of the rest and they’ve telegraphed C.Guthrie playing. So for the last spot Clark or Constable. Could be either.
Miers has done more work than any of the other newbies, and could be among the first for a rest. He kept trying and chasing right to the end, but in a couple of his longer chases in Q4 last week he was running on the spot.

Curious thing is for the wildly different reputations on here, Parsons and Cockatoo have very similar output. If anything Parsons does more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back