Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of tidbits from history, I’d like to see in tomorrow’s game.

On 31 March 1984, Gary Ablett Sr played his first game for Geelong, at Kardinia Park.
Geelong 23.10.148 def Fitzroy 15.9.99

Goals:
Jacko - 9
Johnston - 5
GAS - 3

View attachment 1945738

I’d love to see a score like that for Hawkins’ 350th game. One day after GAS’s debut 40 years ago.

Greg Williams had 38 Disposals that day. + the game is faster today?

Remember listening to that game clearly on the wireless as a 15 year old and being so excited by these 2 new players that were tearing the Lions apart.

I think Mannagh has been good, could be old management or horses for courses. Do you think possibly it could be about learning more of the team structure? He is pretty goal hungry, probably has to adapt a bit more to playing AFL from the VFL where he could be a bit more selfish?

Was at that game. Centreline- Turner Williams Ablett - nearly 100 disposals.
The physique of GAS in that season was outrageous.
Watched it on telly with Dad, in Sydney. It was the day my crush on Sam Newman died + was born with Ablett 😻😹😻
Was going to post Disposals, but post was long enough.
Here are the top:
Turner 28
Bruns 25
Neale + Whitcombe 24
Ablett 22

GAS FF 6 + FA 4
Stats for that game:
https://australianfootball.com/players/player/Gary+Ablett/11684

Our generation dream of games from then, I’d love tomorrow to be similar for Hawkins.

Remember listening to that game clearly on the wireless as a 15 year old and being so excited by these 2 new players that were tearing the Lions apart.
It was a phenomenal game.
The crowd like sardines at KP, roaring.
Just desperate for Conway to excell + our other MF youngsters to break out tomorrow.
We’ll miss Dangerfield + Selwood (still).

Who’s our captain tomorrow?

If Mannagh played VFL yesterday it would have been a 7 day break until our next match

Only reason I can see to hold him over is there is/was uncertainty over a named player

Im factoring in the travel next week plus they are always conservative mamaging yr1 guys (i know hes older but still). They will want some fresh guys so that we have a lot of fresh legs for next saturday which would be why mannagh etc would be out of the vfl.

If Conway plays really well and looks better than Stanley has looked all year…do we play him v the Dogs off a 5 day break?

Given his tank and how the dogs ran over him in the last qtr last time i doubt it.

I think Mannagh has been good, could be old management or horses for courses. Do you think possibly it could be about learning more of the team structure? He is pretty goal hungry, probably has to adapt a bit more to playing AFL from the VFL where he could be a bit more selfish?
He’s a good Medium Forward. Amassed 28 Disposals + six goals in 2023 VFL Grand Final, winning the Norm Goss Medal as best afield. He needs time, there’s a massive gap between playing VFL + AFL.
Perhaps Cats are focusing on our developing our MF, the weak link?
Forwards are doing well, but need to be more accurate.

I suppose Stewart will captain, but I'd love to see Hawkins given the honour for the day.

He likely will be

Even with Dangerfield playing last week, it was Stewy in his 150th that seemed to be “acting” captain on the night

I did wonder whether there might be a consequence for him having those shots at goals when other players might have been better positioned. Who knows? Maybe a little early lesson in team rules? We don’t see many players blazing away.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree. As I said in another post I assume despite his maturity they will be cautious I suspect in terms of building into AFL career. He also is suffering from “pecking order” which would have him number 8 in the forward line (Rohan not counted). I personally think over time he (or Dempsey) might sneak into that MF group but for now it looks like they are trying to give a bunch of people a chance to secure MF roles.

As you say I would be suprised if he doesn’t play next week. Maybe giving one of the small forwards a rest? I also suspect Neale comes in for Hawk for Gather Round. And 2E in for someone

I agree with all that re mannagh i just think he was very good last week and can add a lot.

Re next week i would imagine clark gets rested or goes to sub (given hes only 3 games in 5 day break is a big ask)
I would assume we leave hawkins home and either put neale in or go smaller.
Parfitt and mullin would be marginal for next week as well id assume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on Mullin, watching him get to his positions, reminds of when Scott was trying to teach the Cats his mid 2010s style of control. Everyone seemed to be too conscious of what they had to do. Maybe too worried or something like that. They didn't seem to play natural, instinctive football. Mullin makes me think of that. He's working hard on doing right within the system. It may be making him more tentative. With his experience in top level Irish ball, he understand defending. I think keeping in the 1s will accelerate his development for the speed of the game at that level.
I look forward to when he feels real comfortable to just take the game on naturally and instinctively.

I agree with all that re mannagh i just think he was very good last week and can add a lot.

Re next week i would imagine clark gets rested or goes to sub (given hes only 3 games in 5 day break is a big ask)
I would assume we leave hawkins home and either put neale in or go smaller.
Parfitt and mullin would be marginal for next week as well id assume.
Neale is a break glass only in case of an emergency for mine. I think Hawk plays. Only gets a rest and Neale goes in against Eagles or another side travelling as poorly.

After speaking with mullin several weeks ago l left feeling that he really lacks confidence in himself at the moment and his main focus is to not do the wrong things

Once he gains the confidence he will be a valuable member of the team

He is only one strong performance away

Let’s hope it’s tomorrow

29 thousand posts and counting.
Pot. Kettle. Black.
you gonna add something constructive or just talk s**t.

If its the latter, you'll need another burner account as this one aint gonna make it

Jog on.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Given his tank and how the dogs ran over him in the last qtr last time i doubt it.
and its gonna be BOG wet all day...

I dont see it either.

GO Catters

Wake up beeeetiches.....

ITs Game day.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back