Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had a re-look at our team.
Genuinely not confident. Just looks too top heavy. If I am Clarko I am coaching to exploit it.

Liam Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Kruezer, Mitch McGovern, Charlie Curnow, Casboult and Harry McKay is virtually 9 talls.
If you wanted to say Jack Silvagni and Cripps was too, we have half the side as talls.

If I am Clarko I am saying to Impey, Bruest, Wingard, Puoplo, Scully, Smith, O'Meara, Worpel, Hardwick, Cousins, Sicily, Shiels, Howe, Scrimshaw and Henderson combine together with your run, carry and spread and fix them up over the four quarters.

If we win with all those talls I will be impressed with the coaching and dips my lid.

At very least if Charlie passes fittest test a tall like Levi out for slightly better balance. Cuningham needs to play for sure or I actually have to tip Hawks on balance of team selection. I just do not like a top heavy team. The odd time it works but more often than not, it cost you at ground level and run all across the ground if opposing team are smart.

I have also come to the conclusion that this is a huge game, perhaps the biggest for the club since the rebuild started, for many reasons.

1. Absolutely must back up and be competitive after a win, which we have struggled to do.

2. Reserves stank it up after 2 wins in a row with insipid effort and structures, absolutely cannot let that attitude permeate through the senior team after 1 measly ******* win.

3. How professional are we? I don't know, being happy and all that after a win is fine, but the desire has to be to kill (metaphorically speaking...) We know that the Hawks will be out for blood after losing a few tough ones. Will we stand up and take it to them rather than being on the back foot for the whole game?
Their mindset should never be to sneak a win if all goes well, it should be to dominate the opposition.

They potential can dominate Hawthorn if they bring the intensity. Try and sneak a win and the Hawks will smash them.

I'm sure Bolton drilled into the boys how important it is to back up last weeks effort.

We will come to play.

Hope SPS, Harry, Weiters stamp their mark on this game.
Crippa would have done the same as Bolts, driving standards.

Hawks looked super switched on at training yesterday.
Let’s just hope they fall in a heap. I so badly want us to win this game.

I mean I’d like to win every game but Hawthorn, *, Saints, Tigs, Crows, Pies, Eagles, Cats, North, Swans, GoDees, Port, Dogs, Lions, Suns, Heavo-Hos and the Gints I really enjoy winning against.

Yes, I knew I gathered that first point from somewhere, just couldn't pinpoint where I read about the shocking pattern.

I was confident all week we could knock off the Hawks, perhaps naively, although I do believe at least on paper we have more talent.

After the events of today (yesterday now...) in the VFL, I'm left with an awful taste in my mouth of what could transpire. Can only hope the lackadaisical attitude of some of the AFL-listed players isn't reflective of the overall tone of the group. Or at least, if it was, that the coaching staff and leaders down in Tasmania have addressed the playing group accordingly.

I’ve been feeling the same thing. On paper, we should beat Hawthorn. We are in better form, have more talent at this point too, particularly the young guys.

The scars of the last two decades are real though. Could totally see us playing the same as the reserves and getting hammered...

I’ve been feeling the same thing. On paper, we should beat Hawthorn. We are in better form, have more talent at this point too, particularly the young guys.

The scars of the last two decades are real though. Could totally see us playing the same as the reserves and getting hammered...
Those scars belong to the supporters. The players and coaches havent lived through it like we have. It should not exist. Today is just a game and whatever happens is not because of the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a re-look at our team.
Genuinely not confident. Just looks too top heavy. If I am Clarko I am coaching to exploit it.

Liam Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Kruezer, Mitch McGovern, Charlie Curnow, Casboult and Harry McKay is virtually 9 talls.
If you wanted to say Jack Silvagni and Cripps was too, we have half the side as talls.

If I am Clarko I am saying to Impey, Bruest, Wingard, Puoplo, Scully, Smith, O'Meara, Worpel, Hardwick, Cousins, Sicily, Shiels, Howe, Scrimshaw and Henderson combine together with your run, carry and spread and fix them up over the four quarters.

If we win with all those talls I will be impressed with the coaching and dips my lid.

At very least if Charlie passes fittest test a tall like Levi out for slightly better balance. Cuningham needs to play for sure or I actually have to tip Hawks on balance of team selection. I just do not like a top heavy team. The odd time it works but more often than not, it cost you at ground level and run all across the ground if opposing team are smart.
I feel this pretty much most weeks(team being top heavy) however Imo Its fine to have a tall team if your midfield is strong and able to get on top of the oppositions more often than not week to week .
Also if you are going to go into games with a structure and setup similar to what we have imo you MUST have adequate ground level support in your forwardline .
With both forward pressure and scoreboard pressure coming from those smalls however we are far from that atm .
As you said it will work on occasions but generally all your doing is giving the opposition and advantage if we aren't adequate enough in those areas mentioned during each game .

A big reason imo that we do seem to go in top heavy is/has been the unavailability of a lot of our runners mids flankers etc over the past season and a bit and a clear need for a genuine goal kicking small forward .

I'm sure Bolton drilled into the boys how important it is to back up last weeks effort.

We will come to play.

Hope SPS, Harry, Weiters stamp their mark on this game.
I get the feeling last week might havw been a watershed moment for us. And this is now the effort required each week.

I feel this pretty much most weeks(team being top heavy)

A big reason imo that we do seem to go in top heavy is/has been the unavailability of a lot of our runners mids flankers etc over the past season and a bit and a clear need for a genuine goal kicking small forward .
Hence with Cuningham not playing VFL yesterday can only assume he is available to play and should play today. I have to assume Charlie knee probably still too sore to play and he won't play. If Charlie plays a tall such a Levi will have to sit it out. If Cuningham plays I give us a much better chance of winning with that extra run and carry we really need. Plus he can impact scoreboard that also need.

Hence with Cuningham not playing VFL yesterday can only assume he is available to play and should play today. I have to assume Charlie knee probably still too sore to play and he won't play. If Charlie plays a tall such a Levi will have to sit it out. If Cuningham plays I give us a much better chance of winning with that extra run and carry we really need. Plus he can impact scoreboard that also need.
Yes good points I agree we need more run and Cunners does provide that however not sure just this change should dictate our chances .
Also not sure Cas comes out even if Charlie plays with Harry playing the way he is I suspect at least for a few more weeks as he seems to be really labouring after his stints in the ruck they'll want to keep him forward and out of the ruck .
My point is more as players become available Williamson Stocker when match fitness is adequate enough maybe Kennedy Cuningham of course and longer term Docherty and hopefully Pickett maybe a mid/small forward addition at seasons end that our structure may change somewhat and be a bit more balanced both in near future and longer term .

Yes good points I agree we need more run and Cunners does provide that however not sure just this change should dictate our chances .
It should not but if we picking a top heavy team as we have done this week and against Gold Coast too, the reality is, the balance is out of whack. We can win with unbalanced team but for mine it reduces our chances.

My point is more as players become available Williamson Stocker when match fitness is adequate enough maybe Kennedy Cuningham of course and longer term Docherty and hopefully Pickett maybe a mid/small forward addition at seasons end that our structure may change somewhat and be a bit more balanced both in near future and longer term .
Our points are the same in the long run. We both know we need more runners in the 22. Stocker and Williamson when available will be a real step in right direction and same with at least one of Pickett or LeBois long term but this week we at least have Cuningham over there. We would be mad to not play him if he is right to go and play with all those talls in same 22.

Charlie did next to nothing at training yesterday but Cuningham was in everything. I’d say it’s Charlie out and Cuningham in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back