Who would you take?

• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.2%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 174 45.2%

• Total voters
Im getting slack in my old age. Kid is the next coming of Ablett, could literally play anywhere, will have 3 brownlows before McCluggage hits double figure possessions again.
Over compensation is just as bad.

McGrath will be a jet midfielder and all 3 clubs would be equally happy

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Taranto and McCluggage were the two clear standouts in 2016. Picking McGrath ahead of either of them, let alone both, was a massive error.
No. Chosing Tambling ahead of Franklin was a massive error. Jury still out here as all 3 players are very young and still a long way to go. Having said all that Taranto at this stage does seem to be the pick of the bunch. I'm very happy with the development of McGrath as I'm sure Brisbane are with Mccluggage.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
No. Chosing Tambling ahead of Franklin was a massive error. Jury still out here as all 3 players are very young and still a long way to go. Having said all that Taranto at this stage does seem to be the pick of the bunch. I'm very happy with the development of McGrath as I'm sure Brisbane are with Mccluggage.
Why are you bringing the 2004 draft into it? I reckon there are threads on that elsewhere.

Tambling was a massive error for sure, but at least we got a premiership player out of it (Kamdyn McIntosh, drafted with one of the picks Adelaide gave us for Tambling).

Choosing McGrath was a massive error. Jack Ross, pick 43 in last year's draft, has played 3 games, all in the midfield, all better than any midfield performance your #1 draft pick back pocket has put up.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Why are you bringing the 2004 draft into it? I reckon there are threads on that elsewhere.

Tambling was a massive error for sure, but at least we got a premiership player out of it (Kamdyn McIntosh, drafted with one of the picks Adelaide gave us for Tambling).

Choosing McGrath was a massive error. Jack Ross, pick 43 in last year's draft, has played 3 games, all in the midfield, all better than any midfield performance your #1 draft pick back pocket has put up.
Okey mete

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Okey mete

5 kicks, 10 handballs & all for less than 70 meters gained....Hands it off like a hot potato & looks frightened of taking the game on himself or making a mistake.

Not seeing any forwards development there at all....Looking like the Rising Star award was a huge error more & more as each week passes.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
5 kicks, 10 handballs & all for less than 70 meters gained....Hands it off like a hot potato & looks frightened of taking the game on himself or making a mistake.

Not seeing any forwards development there at all....Looking like the Rising Star award was a huge error more & more as each week passes.
Judging him on one game? Really? Time will tell I agree Taranto at this stage is pick of the bunch but wouldn't be writing McGrath off is all I am saying.
Love how the RS award gets brought up, you seem to be still salty about that hey. Ryan Burton who? Lol

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Taranto is quite easily the best of the 3 at the moment. Kid is a star.
I have watched very little of the Giants this year but...WOW! He must be very very impressive if he's quite easily better than Hugh McCluggage, he has been outstanding this year.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
This was asked on Instagram today. I personally liked the (obviously) Essendon supporter who said 'anyone who doesn't say McGrath doesn't understand football', and also said people should 'watch how he uses the ball'. This person was then back up by another (obviously) Essendon supporter who used his first game heroics against Cyril as the reason why. They clearly haven't paid attention to how all these 3 players have developed because McGrath has stagnated somewhat after a fast start but Clug and Taranto have caught up and gone past him pretty quickly in my opinion.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I have watched very little of the Giants this year but...WOW! He must be very very impressive if he's quite easily better than Hugh McCluggage, he has been outstanding this year.
McCluggage is good, but Taranto is on another level.

Taranto averages 7.7 tackles per game to McCluggage's 2.7.
He averages 26.5 disposals to 21.2. 11.5 contested possession to 6.3
Averages 4.5 clearances to 2.5.
Even if you want to look at goals, Taranto kicked 5 to McCluggage's 8. Not too different. Even that, Taranto averages more score involvements.

He had 30 disposals (17 contested), 10 tackles, 6 clearances and 1 goal against Sydney to win the Brett Kirk medal for best on ground!
Can't argue with that.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Okey mete
Sweetie, McGrath is a small, fumbly, flanker with sloppy disposal, whose go-to is a one-metre handball to a teammate under pressure. Ross is an inside bull, clean as a whistle with the pill and hits 50-metre targets lace-out. If not for Sydney Stack, he'd be the steal of the 2018 draft.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Sweetie, McGrath is a small, fumbly, flanker with sloppy disposal, whose go-to is a one-metre handball to a teammate under pressure. Ross is an inside bull, clean as a whistle with the pill and hits 50-metre targets lace-out. If not for Sydney Stack, he'd be the steal of the 2018 draft.
What do Ross and Stack have to do with this thread?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
McCluggage is good, but Taranto is on another level.

Taranto averages 7.7 tackles per game to McCluggage's 2.7.
He averages 26.5 disposals to 21.2. 11.5 contested possession to 6.3
Averages 4.5 clearances to 2.5.
Even if you want to look at goals, Taranto kicked 5 to McCluggage's 8. Not too different. Even that, Taranto averages more score involvements.

He had 30 disposals (17 contested), 10 tackles, 6 clearances and 1 goal against Sydney to win the Brett Kirk medal for best on ground!
Can't argue with that.
They are impressive stats although I've never been a huge stats man I much prefer to go by the eye test and just see the impact said player has on contest to contest and what he does with his possessions throughout the game. As I said I haven't watched Taranto much at all so next time I get a chance I'll have to have a good look.

On my albeit obviously at least somewhat biased viewing of every game of McCluggage's career so far I'm extremely confident that he'll be a top 5 mid in the competition before too long, IMO bungalow_bill is spot on with his player comparison of Black/Pendlebury.

Which player past or present would you compare Taranto's game style to?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
They are impressive stats although I've never been a huge stats man I much prefer to go by the eye test and just see the impact said player has on contest to contest and what he does with his possessions throughout the game. As I said I haven't watched Taranto much at all so next time I get a chance I'll have to have a good look.

On my albeit obviously at least somewhat biased viewing of every game of McCluggage's career so far I'm extremely confident that he'll be a top 5 mid in the competition before too long, IMO bungalow_bill is spot on with his player comparison of Black/Pendlebury.

Which player past or present would you compare Taranto's game style to?

Reminds me of Boak a bit, to be honest. Also has shades of Bartel, Corey, Lenny Hayes etc. You should watch Taranto when you get a chance, he's a joy to watch. Will be a Brownlow Medalist at some stage, and is in AA squad form right now

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

Could we seriously have one thread that doesn't devolve into a Richmond self-love, circle-jerk fest? We get it, you're the greatest side that ever existed with the best players. Leave the rest of us plebs to discuss our woeful players in peace

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Subconsciously Essendon picked a player well below pick 1 level as deep down they knew they did not deserve pick one that year. :think:
Being gifted it by incompetent Gil was really poor league integrity.

Allowing a club with many WADA suspended players to keep pick one when common sense meant it should have been a pick after all the other 17 clubs. Some guilt played out to muck the undeserved high end pick up. It is only explanation why you pick a player well below pick one level ability.:p

Back