Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously we lost t he game i n the middle.
Scotty Lycett had a mare and it carried through the midfield.
Thought Paddy, Boak, Houston and Westy were ok

Correct. Best midfield group in the comp did us over and used it well going forward.

How the **** is Marshall supposed to beat his opponent when the ball is kicked behind him every ******* time he plays in front, and exactly one metre in front of him when he plays behind.

I agree with you in principle and think Marshall is going well and on target to really step up.... but.... the really good forwards demand and command delivery of the ball. He’s a kid which people seem to forget. Will be much better if Dixon ever gets back.

Kenneth, I need a couple things from you...
Get off the ******* coke!
Get off the ******* dog's.
QUIT THE GAMBLING ON DOGS!
Do you want your players smashing coke and gambling on the dogs? NO, YOU DON'T!

Nothing screams low rent more than punting on the dishlickers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was ok, but only ok. But perhaps fantastic for Marshall..or for how he's been this year.
No he was awful. I watched him today and he was continually led to the ball. He was devoid of confidence and was the reason why the whole forward line was out of kilter. Not saying he needs to be dropped but that was his worst performance.

No he was awful. I watched him today and he was continually led to the ball. He was devoid of confidence and was the reason why the whole forward line was out of kilter. Not saying he needs to be dropped but that was his worst performance.
He was ok.

He's not quite where I thought he'd be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game and player review.

Collingwood vs Port:
Well the Magpies showed use who are boss. They came with a clear plan to win the ball at the contest, outer number us at the contest and get it forward quickly, or if not, hold possession and carefully enter inside 50. And despite knowing exactly how Collingwood would play, despite it being a great opportunity to showcase our junior champions and club on the national stage and test ourselves against the best side out there, we decided to not rock up for a quarter, probably a game really.

So Grundy won it in the ruck and the Collingwood mids had a field day. Even when Lycett and Ryder evened it up, it seemed a 50:50 whether we would get the ball. Inside 50s, the Collingwood forward comfortably outplayed our defenders, out bodied us, got key position, lead to the ball and used their general athleticism.

Our forward 50 entries involved kicking it to a useless Lycett, Marshall, Westhoff and Ryder who managed to not mark it and bring it down for the 5 Collingwood players to run off with it.

So we were out run, out worked, out kicked, out marked and out played. And all in the game that could give us credibility, a game we had all to play for, a game that we were never gong to win.

PLAYERS:
Powell-Pepper - tried hard to get us back into it. Had the team come with him and had we been playing a lesser side, you feel he may have really lifted us. 6/10

Burton - A beautiful kick. Always seems like the goal we concede is not his fault...I still really wonder if maybe we shouldn’t be playing him as a forward. 5/10

Ryder - that dropped mark summed up our night. Kick that and we are away, instead the game is over 5 minutes later. Leveled the hit outs but really was unsighted. 3/10

Ebert - Seemed to try, achieved nothing and then went off. 1/10

Boak - Can’t argue with the work rate but felt his impact was absent. His fumbles reminded me of last year. How many times has he kicked our first goal now? 7/10

Rockliff - Really lowered his colours tonight. Tagged and struggled with it. We lost that close in second touch distributor. Needs to respond. 3/10

Marshall - Forward craft was better but got spanked but Moore. Leading and positioning was ok, but really lacked the presence of another forward up front. Wanted more from him. 3/10

Amon - I actually thought his work rate early was good but dropped away. Some unrewarded work but overall disappointing. Puts his spot at risk. 5/10

Wines - was bad. Beaten at stoppages, beaten through the middle, at least two goals were due to him not sticking tackles. To be honest, this game requires a questioning of his captaincy and it demands a response. 2/10

Clurey - Unfortunately was to busy getting beaten one on one to provide the needed leadership back there. Lowered his colours today. 4/10

Butters - another tryer but failed to have an impact. Really felt like he lacked a role today. Unfortunately probably needs a run in the twos. 1/10

Rozee - lifted at times but no substantial impact. Another tryer. 4/10

Duursma - actually thought he gave everything. Good two way running, tough, involved in some key moments, but beaten by a champion in Sidebottom, which isn’t a bad thing. 7/10

Bonner - didn’t really notice him except for the fact his man consistently won the ball. I’m not sure where to for Bonner. Still feel he needs to play wing, HFF. 2/10

Drew - Tried hard. Some good moments but lost his man at stoppages and not a big impact the other way. Perhaps a SANFL run. 4/10

Lycett - Lets try the same tactic against the best over and over, surely the best will never learn... utterly spanked by Grundy and really disappointing after a great first 6 games. 2/10

Howard - a real moments player. Some good defensive plays, some great spoils and marks, some terrible ball uses. Still a step in the right direction. 7/10

Byrne-Jones - Talk about a player at sea. Improved when the midfield stepped up. His worst so far. 2/10

Lienert - The only defender who didn't look flustered early. Attacked the game, great kick at times. I wonder if he would be more use on a wing or HFF. To be honest well done to Jarrod, you deserve to keep your spot after that. 7/10

Westhoff - his stats say a good game. I felt he was really poor, lacked a defensive effort and needs to kick those goals. Didn’t provide the leadership or drive required. To be honest a run in the SANFL isn’t unreasonable. 4/10.

Houston - Been one of our best defenders to date. Good defence and good ball use. 7/10

S Gray - no presence against a good side yet again and a part of a completely dysfunctional forward line. No defensive effort and why he continues to be our inside forward theatre boggles the mind. 2/10

After all the prison bar hubbub during the week I really thought we woudl come out firing with a point to prove. I thought our first 10 minutes was actually alright. Even when we were 20-2 I thought we were in the contest. What happened after that for the last 10 minutes of the first quarter was a disaster. How often do we do that in Melbourne? Come out with a ******* terrible first quarter. Seems to happen just about every time we play in Victoria. Its ridiculous.

Once again, where was the leadership in that first quarter? Our midfield got smashed, our backline was all over the shop. Who was out there directing? Who was out there winning the hard ball to get us back into it? It wasn't our captain that's for sure.

The second quarter was very good. Duursma really worked us back into the game I thought. Ran so hard, was getting the ball all over the shop. SPP was important. Boak had some good moments. DBJ turned from the worst footballer in the league to halfway reasonable in the 2nd quarter. Burton got into it. Lycett fought back. It was a good quarter.

Second half was just meh. Heat was out of the game. Collingwood did enough, we clung on with some decent play but never looked in any danger of taking the game.

Really disappointing. Poor midfield effort, zero leadership. All in our spiritual leaders 250th game. Not good enough.

PLAYER REVIEWS
Westhoff - Yeah plenty of the ball but once again when its time to stand up and kick some goals he misses. Numerous times. Overall tried hard, was good around the ground.

Boak - Tried as hard as he could. Poor at stoppages but was good in general play all night. Was the only midfielder to win their spot.

Wines - Its an indictment on our coaching staff that they made him captain. Never deserved it and has gone backwards. Can't use the pre season as an excuse anymore. He hurt a shoulder, not a knee. He's too big, he can't run, he isn't putting his body over the ball, he's hanging back ball watching at stoppages. Where's the raging bull gone? Out of form, in a rut, whatever you want to call it, that's fine. But he can't be. Needs to dig deep and work himself into it because he was trash tonight.

DBJ - Worst quarter of football by a defender since Jason Spher in the 1994 SANFL Grand Final. Recovered, a bit, but overall, must be hanging onto his spot by a thread. Has been poor all year.

Ryder - Better in the ruck. Was steady all night

Rozee - A couple of moments of brilliance but overall was pretty quiet.

Duursma - Loved his game, thought he had a ripping second quarter and a pretty consistent second half.

Houston - Was ok defensively, good with the ball.

Burton - Was very good defensively, very good with the ball. Just another very consistent performance. Great recruit

SPP - Is good as the second or third disposal out of a pack but needs to have more impact around the ball

Lienert - Yeah not sure about him. Was ok in parts, poor in others. Will be out next week.

Rockliff - For someone who was once a club captain, I expect a hell of a lot more. He's either on or he's not. Tonight he was not. Zero leadership when it mattered

Drew - Possibly time for a spell. Would like to see what Trengove or Atley can do. Whilst he's been ok as a defensive mid and is still good when he gets the ball, he has to do more around stoppages with the amount of times he's at stoppages.

Lycett - Has had a good year, no doubting that, but that was garbage.

Amon - Tough game for someone like Karl to impact, but thought he did ok considering. Laid some nice tackles and had some nice kicks.

S Gray - There he is, the Sam we know

Marshall - Was thrashed but had 2 or 3 nice moments.

Howard - Was moved from big to small a few times. Played reasonably well considering the amount of ball going down there

Bonner - Need to do something else with Bonner I think. Want to see him up forward.

Clurey - Has had a great year but that was his worst game by a long way.

Butters - Couldnt have any impact out there tonight. Think he needs a rest next week.

Ebert - Zero impact up forward, then got injured.

So many melts in this thread I feel like I am at subway. We have a young team lacking experience in key areas, unfortunately these kind of games will happen as the kids will run hot and cold, particular of some of our leadership group are having a bad day. First quarter was comical Ruck -> midfield -> to defence and everything fell their way. Much better afterwards, particularly second quarter. Missing Jonas and Watts, as well as Robbie’s midfield experience. Still a good chance to beat crows next week if we can sort out a few defensive issues and Ollie and Rockliff lift in particular. Marvel really is a shithole of a stadium, time to rebuild it.

I thought Marshall was fantastic you ****s

I wouldn't say fantastic but I thought he was good. The more he plays, the better he is going to get. He is still only a puppy.

The game was done by first quarter and I thought it was going to be a '07 GF type defeat, but they fought back a bit and tried. We are a young team with a few injuries. We are nowhere near running at 100%. This will happen every now and then. The future is still looking good to me.

There's a lot to unpack out of that game. Most of it involves the confirmation of things we already knew that were laid bare once again against top quality opposition in a high pressure game.

That start was always on the cards. Coming off a couple of confidence boosting wins, the media talking us up a bit, playing against a big Melbourne club at Marvel. We've seen it before, we'll see it again. We simply choked under the pressure of the occasion. There's a very good reason our club's reputation in this league is as chokers and we saw why again tonight. The higher the level of pressure and expectation, the worse the performance. We looked completely shell shocked, as though we had rocked up to the stadium expecting to watch a concert and a football game broke out. Our midfield was obliterated in Q1 and our defence collapsed like a house of cards under the pressure. It was just ugly, plain and simple.

Once we got Q1 out of the system, suitably lowering the expectations for the rest of the night, we started to edge our way back into the game. Our effort was, with a few notable exceptions, pretty good from Q2 onward. But the game was already cooked by then. Our midfield was probably able to win the battle after quarter time. The forward line was a shambles though. It's incredible how hard we make forward play seem. We even made Darcy Moore look like Alex Rance, constantly kicking it to his advantage all night. Our forward line is based around forward pressure, which is an incredibly negative mindset which promotes winning the ball back from the defenders as the way to scoring goals when the easier way is just to never let them get the ball in the first place. Guys like De Goey, Stephenson and Elliott used this tactic to good effect at the other end of the ground.

Overall, a poor performance. There's a reason this team has no trust or credibility and it's performances like the one we dished up in Q1 tonight. It's always one step forward, one step back with this team. It's been that way since 2014. We can't go more than a few weeks without some shitty display that breaches all faith in whatever it is we're trying to do. Disappointing but not surprising.

Players:

Powell-Pepper - All heart but just so, so ineffective. He tends to play poorly in our defeats because he just tries too hard when the game starts to slip away. Too many fumbles, too many shanked kicks, too many times getting caught in possession.

Burton - One of his better games for the season. Was solid whilst most of the defence was losing its mind.

Ryder - Not much early playing mainly as a forward. Big second half in the ruck.

Ebert - Did nothing and then got injured.

Boak - Gave it his all but didn't have many teammates helping him out. One of our best again.

Rockliff - Anonymous early when we were getting reamed. Average after that.

Marshall - This guy is beginning to frustrate me a bit. Gets in good positions but then finds a way to stuff it up. Needs to be stronger in the contest at times too.

Amon - His game was sort of a weird reversal of the team's. Started OK but then did nothing after that. Weird game.

Wines - Deplorable. Utterly deplorable. For a captain to play such an insipid, weak game of football in a game like that is just not good enough. He knew it too.

Clurey - Emblematic of the team tonight. Being talked up as an AA defender and then puts in a performance that would've made for a good imitation of a carbon rod. Very poor.

Butters - Well out matched by the strength and experience of Collingwood but still competed and did a few nice things.

Rozee - This won't be a popular comment but I think this guy needs to stop trying to be the hero and start doing the basics a bit better. Multiple times he came flying across and spoiled a teammates marking chance. Multiple times he didn't give the first option and ended up turning the football over. We know he's got talent. But you need more than talent to be a good player at AFL level. A lot to work on from a coaching perspective out of tonight for him.

Duursma - Worked hard as per usual. Wasn't all that involved but most of what he did was good I thought.

Bonner - Disgraceful performance. Just disgraceful. Haven't seen a player dog so many contests in a Port jumper since Nathan Lonie. There's way too many competitors for such an easy position to put in a performance like that. I'd consider not playing him again.

Drew - Surprised he only had it 12 times because he seemed to be in a lot. Thought he was decent.

Lycett - Monstered by Grundy. Don't know if it was payback for the grand final but he was just nowhere in that first quarter. Basically moved out of the ruck after that because he was so putrid. Needs to be way better than that.

Howard - His start was appalling. He got better as the game progressed but the horse had bolted.

Byrne-Jones - As with Howard, started poorly, improved, too little too late.

Westhoff - Poor finishing but one of our best. Don't know what all the criticism in the match day thread was about.

Lienert - I've got no idea what this guy's AFL traits are. Just so vanilla.

Houston - Our best defender by a mile as per usual.

Gray - Admittedly a hard game for him to get into but he was practically anonymous all the same.

How the **** is Marshall supposed to beat his opponent when the ball is kicked behind him every ******* time he plays in front, and exactly one metre in front of him when he plays behind.
He was timid, pathetic. Didn't put his body there. Not a footballers a-hole on tonight's performance. Time and time again he squibbed.

He should be ashamed on this performance

Looking at the positives:

Boak worked hard - good example to the younger players how to keep working despite being destroyed.

Rozee still class.

Burton still shows class - but moments of absolute terror too.

Duursma will has learned a bit from following Sidebottom around - still love this kid. He again rushed a shot though - needs to take that extra moment to steady.

Lienert was aggressive and mostly effective. We used his kick well.

Defense held up mostly well after 1/4 time - they were killed by our mids.

Negatives:

Wines - destroyed momentum so many times. Not sure what was happening in his brain, I suspect it might just be turning into a nightmare of a year for him. Still thinking about his bizarre, un-captain like performance on Roaming Brian.

Marshall - there is no doubt he has high footy IQ, but I feel he just has to impact the contest firstly - and then do something clever if he can. You can see him thinking through his options at the moment of the contest, and I reckon this may cause him to mostly miss it all together or spill the mark.

Lycett - was dominated by Grundy (who would have been after him from the GF). Also needs to stop fumbling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back