Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The deal sos made was a beauty regardless of the player, what he didn’t bank on after adding Setterfield, McGovern, Newman and Walsh was the insipid effort from the playing list and the mind boggling lack of progress in formulating a sustainable game plan by the coaches, a game plan that is recognisable every week.

Hard to play to a game plan that is recognisable each week with a team that has played sweet 'far call' together.

People talking about the 1st round pick swap with Adelaide, get over it, it is done!
I say good on Carlton for the swap it was risky and we won't be able to see if it pays off for years to come! Crippa was taken No 13
It has nothing to do with Stocker who held his own in his first game in a team that got flogged the kid has more pressure on him that No 1 draft pick FFS!

People keep saying we have swapped Pick 1. Has that been confirmed? What have I missed?

Still getting over the Stocker Coup, which for the life of me, will never understand.

For those interested, Numbers in the Adelaide Magistrate’s Court this Friday.

Will be conducting my own defence and arguing for no other reason than I like an argument, under threat of arrest for perjury.

Which I will vigorously deny.

Yep.

What a crap day!! Just the 'perfect storm' waiting to happen...Tiggs get smashed with injuries to key players, and the analysts say that the injury list must take it's toll after a while....we get injuries to key players, and get smashed because we're just no good. Bring in a first gamer, and another playing his first game for over year, who was clearly underdone, and it just gets worse. Add a ruckman who is clearly second rate, and a veteran who father time has caught up with, and it gets worserer.

It was men against boys today, up against a more mature team, bigger and stronger, more experienced, and relatively injury free.

We were also outcoached today as well. I have no idea why we were keeping the game in close as a scrap, when they had the bigger bodies in the clinches. Just harass Crippa out of it and your half way home....with no support on the inside except from smaller framed bodies who were getting smashed, and getting it to their outside runners. The only time we looked okay today in the second half was when we decided to take some risks and start running it through the guts. It was baffling after what we saw only last week.

There's no point ousting Bolts now, it would just create instability in the club at this point, which is the last thing we want. At the season end though, there needs to be a thorough review of every position, from senior coach downwards. I have little to no confidence with any of the assistant coaches. And I tend to agree with GS, that Walls is there largely to critique the coaching group, in particular the head coach.

I'm also questioning the list management as others have done. As much as I think SOS and co have done a great job building a list after the previous disastrous list manager, there are a few decisions that have me scratching the head. With such a young list, I have no idea how we can afford the luxury of having 4 'project players' on the list from this year's draft and SSP....none who are even remotely close to being at AFL level. It leaves the list stretched when there are a number of injuries, like we have now, and are mounting even more after Jonesy's hit.

The last few picks in the draft, as well as the final rookie pick, probably should have been mature bigger bodied players who can fill a role in case of injuries. We can always start developing 'project players' once our current crop of youngsters get more games under their belt. At the moment in the NB's, we really only have Setters and Kennedy who could come into the side...maybe Garlett and Fas...although we may have to bring in Goddard to cover for Jonesy.

I'm hoping that we bring in one or two mature bodies in the mid season draft to fill a role, as well as giving them an opportunity to see if they can compliment our list into the future. No point bringing in another skinny 18 or 19yo kid to develop.

All things considered, it was a disaster today. I made it through to the 20 min mark of the final quarter before I split...which is pretty good going with a 2 hour commute ahead. The good new was that there are no longer ******* buses replacing trains on the Franger line....and there were no queues at the local fish and chip shop after I got home.

Thank gawd for life's little pleasures.

Hard to play to a game plan that is recognisable each week with a team that has played sweet 'far call' together.
Every team in the comp now has the stop Cripps, stop Carlton game plan we have plenty of time to come up with a. Plan b or c.....if we dont then that’s on us. If as said befor Ed plays forward and sidebum gets 40 then that is on us as well.

You didn't see much at all but it hasn't stopped you from gobbing off at our players. Shame on you and all your dumb mates.

For the record, first to go to Liam was Plowman (immediately after it happened), which means he saw the damage to Liam (probably eye) the TV cameras weren't showing us. Plowman was followed by Ed, Willo, SOS. There may have been others but the cameras were focusing elsewhere. Once the trainers, medical staff arrived, they probably kept everyone away. They had a towel covering the injury the cameras didn't show (must have been pretty ghastly).

So you're disappointed we missed the big feel-good media moment where all our team promote our brand by copying the Richmond marketing ploy and approaching the unconscious Liam en masse. And what did you expect then? Shake him awake him and ask him how his neck was? No, we respected Liam's potentially serious situation by keeping our distance and only sending our captain over to check things and then Weiters once Liam was being stretchered off. But respecting Liam doesn't really matter to you. It's the media moment you crave.

Formed an opinion based on what I observed. Clearly didn't see it all based on other's observations. Apologies if I got it wrong. Couldn't care less how the media portray us. My respect for Liam is not in question. If more of his team mates displayed his courage and effort we'd be a much better team. I hope he's alright and he recovers quickly and we have him back soon. We need him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How anyone could be at the ground and come away from that thinking the coaching was anything other than abysmal, I will never know. Boggles the mind.
I sat on the wing on level 3 and I saw our team playing without any system or confidence for the most part. Maybe the players believed they’re too young and inexperienced and played that way, who knows.

But heck me, Levi kicking it backwards straight to a north player, Plowman under no pressure miskicks to JSOS, Marchbank indecisive, etc...... not sure you can blame everything on the coaches.

I sat on the wing on level 3 and I saw our team playing without any system or confidence for the most part. Maybe the players believed they’re too young and inexperienced and played that way, who knows.

But **** me, Levi kicking it backwards straight to a north player, Plowman under no pressure miskicks to JSOS, Marchbank indecisive, etc...... not sure you can blame everything on the coaches.
To be fair he was right in his post match assessment, we just werent switched on and these days if you are off 1 or 2 percent, game over.

Now, the age all question, who is to blame for that. Coaches and the players equal in that regard

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't like the idea of playing a purely negative player at AFL level, and I say that as someone who used to be a reasonable tagger. It isn't players that dominate these days, it's systems. You might get a player like Buddy, where if he's on you're stuffed, but generally an individual's dominance is system created.

I don't think Ed's long for AFL, unless he can redeploy his skillset as a small forward/forward flanker, and I don't think he's got the raw speed or the disposal for it.

Topical as he was one of our triers today but does SOS?

It’s not all bad chaps. You’ve got a ton of talent, some very good players out and improving performances. And everyone knows rebuilding teams have their shockers. It’s nice being a Pie atm, but our performances were all over the shop even as recently as early last year.

That’s all from me. (I just came by to see the latest on Liam Jones. It looked awful so I’m glad to hear he’s been discharged from hospital.)

I left halfway through the last quarter,is it true the team was booed off the field after the game?
FWIW, I was level 3 above players race when they went off and I didn’t hear any booing. May have been some closer to the players?

Crippa needs more protection from the umps never gets frees with blokes hanging off him 90% of game time (even when he tackles someone who clearly is holding the ball), not to mention Big H doesn't get looked after like the rest of the forwards in the AFL..
Not blaming the umpires we clearly didn't turn up today but I just need a little umpire rant even if I'm wrong

Plowman is no longer in our leadership group. He was demoted prior to this season's commencement.

We currently have a 5 man leadership group which includes the injured Docherty and Simpson.
Cripps, Murphy and Ed Curnow are the only players on the field today that are officially in the leadership group.

Just to set the record straight for all those commenting about it.

We saw it vs gold Coast where the extra tall forward seems to make Charlie and Harry play lost. When we have 1 less tall Harry is on the move. With the extra he gets stuck behind and Charlie just looked lost. I don't think that structure works at all. Copping Harry in the ruck as the chop out would be monumentally better than the current strategy.

I've been saying for ages that there are too many talls.

Oh. Incidentally, I also agree with your gameplan observation about too many KPF...

Big H doesn't get looked after like the rest of the forwards in the AFL..
Not blaming the umpires we clearly didn't turn up today but I just need a little umpire rant even if I'm wrong

Harry earns a decent amount of free kicks.

I'm sure there's some more that aren't paid, but he's not being ignored.

Back