Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
You are right.

If Blakely and SHill come back in...

If Valente, Sturt, Carter become players....

That all puts us very close to where we want to be.

I’m wondering if we will see S Hill again - had a weird feeling after his interview before the game (in the River Room)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
Next 5 games are so clutch.

Adelaide away
Tigers home
Essendon away
Lions home
Collingwood away

We could play well in all of those games and lose every one. Some untimely returns to form for some of those teams also.

I'd be happy if we could at least win 2 of those 5 and still have more wins than losses at the bye.

We should aim for 4 out of those 5. Collingwood is the toughest one, but we would have normally lost in Canberra. Anything is possible.

We should aim for 4 out of those 5. Collingwood is the toughest one, but we would have normally lost in Canberra. Anything is possible.

I would be very surprised if we win the next 4 games. its never as good or as bad as it seems. With the run we have after the next 5 weeks, winning 3 out of 5 games would be massive

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham

I am hoping for at least 2 wins out of the next 5. That would leave us 6 and 5 at the break. A good springboard for the rest of the season .

If we can also get to the break with no further bad injuries or heavy defeats it will be doubly encouraging.

Walshy1

All Australian
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with the lower end. If we can get 2-3 wins in the next five thats going to go a very long way for team confidence

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would be very surprised if we win the next 4 games. its never as good or as bad as it seems. With the run we have after the next 5 weeks, winning 3 out of 5 games would be massive

I'd very much take this.

Say home wins against Brisbane and Richmond, and an away win against Essendon. Of course everyone's hoping for 5 but I think 3 wins would be an optimistic indicator of where we are at. We'd still be in finals contention by the bye also.

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only teams I am looking at for now and got "Crikeys, nup" are Geelong and Collingwood. They are obviously looking really good. But after them, it just has a feel that the finals landscape opens right up.

My expectations were that we end the year in the 6-10 range, and probably still sit there, but you can sniff an opportunity.

I have a worry, which is that I had always seen 2019 about being prep for 2020. Pushing for finals, and hopefully getting a shot is great prep, but on my To Do List would also have been getting debuts into Valente, Bewley, Carter and even Sturt. Also, we are doing ok with Lobb but that wasn't the plan. Surely the plan was to develop Darcy and Lobb into the best ruck duo in the comp. That may not be our best current option, but in terms of 2020, now is the time to be developing that combination.

If we somehow did grab a win in Adelaide does it become more about 2019 and let 2020 take care of itself? Probably does.
I think we are taking care of both 19 & 20.

On Saturday, we had 7 players on the field with less than 50 games and a further 7 with between 50 &100 games. Not sure how that compares with the other teams but seems we are developing still but ahead of the curve.

I'd very much take this.

Say home wins against Brisbane and Richmond, and an away win against Essendon. Of course everyone's hoping for 5 but I think 3 wins would be an optimistic indicator of where we are at. We'd still be in finals contention by the bye also.
I think we might be a better chance against Adelaide to be honest, even though they've been ok the last few weeks.

We can match their talls and they dont pressure as well as other sides which is our major weakness I think

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Winning at home is key to making finals. If we win 9-10 out of the 12 we play out of optus. We should play finals.

It may suprise some but if you take out the 3 derby games we have lost.

Both west coast and Fremantle are 10 wins from the other 14 games there against all non-wa teams. So we actually have a identical record at home to the eagles when you think about.

Jagging 4 wins away from home i think should see us play finals. If we keep up our home form

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Calling it now:

Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 10.06.20.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is a consolidation year, our forward line is improved by new faces but they are still getting in each others way - this is fixable but will take time for them to grow some awareness of each other, also our midfield as it currently stands is not quite up to the best teams. Darcy, Brayshaw and Cerra and the other kids will be be harder, tank full of gas etc and will ultimately lift our midfield up a few notches but they need more time and experience.

So, I'm enjoying the ride, not being "defeatist", but being real, we'll show a bit this year and may make finals, but won't make much of it once we are there. This year is a taste for next year and beyond where we will be mighty!

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I came to Melbourne, primarily for the music scene and stayed. But I came here thinking that everything in the east is biggerer and gooderer - and for music it was true at the time.

In footy terms, there was a fair element of Melbourne for footy is gooderer that is no longer true. At least one WA team has been in finals and often enough, sometimes 2 of the teams in the last decade, Brownlows, Premierships (alas, not us) coupled with training facility improvements and the stadium. Players wanting to be drafted and particularly traded to Freo is a refreshing paradigm change.

I hope that we can plan beyond a boom/bust cycle and draft for our future, while topping up (free agency, woohoo!) fpr our immediate needs, because there are plenty of excellent players that want to come home to the west.

Walshy1

All Australian
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not really sure how many games we will win this year but I'm still aiming for a percentage around 110-105. Last years percentage was 76.2, 2017 was 74.4 and 2016 at 74.3.

A 30% swing I think is massively positive regardless of the amount of wins we come up with at the end of the season. Still feeling pretty positive about the season and I'm sure we can give finals a look even if we fall just short.

Don't lose all hope fellas :)

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I am expecting to beat Richmond on the weekend. We have improved alot this year. Richmond have been smashed by injuries.

Totally Agree. If we were told before the season started that Freo would be 5th on the ladder after week 7, we'd have been pumped. We are a young team that's growing. Lots of green shoots. I don't understand all of the doom-and-gloom...I guess some people just like to complain...

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Totally Agree. If we were told before the season started that Freo would be 5th on the ladder after week 7, we'd have been pumped. We are a young team that's growing. Lots of green shoots. I don't understand all of the doom-and-gloom...I guess some people just like to complain...

Actually, if you looked at the fixtures, most of our winnable games are up front. So "if you had told me ... after week 7" then anyone who has read the fixture would not have been particularly pumped.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Actually, if you looked at the fixtures, most of our winnable games are up front. So "if you had told me ... after week 7" then anyone who has read the fixture would not have been particularly pumped.

If it was such a forgone conclusion that we would be 5th on the ladder after week 7, then that is even more reason to wonder why there are so many people crying and whining when we lose a game. If we were supposed to be 5th on the ladder after a loss to the Crows, wouldn't we be just meeting everyone's expectations?

And, I'm glad you're so much more level headed and reasoned than I am. I personally like they way the club is playing now. It's not just their place on the ladder, its that the defense is playing lights out, the forward line has had some solid games. Blakely is coming back, AP will be an all Australian, Mundy just played 300, and we get the Tigers at home all beat up and injured. I like our chances. Honestly, some of the games have been tough to watch the last couple of years and I've enjoyed every game so far this year. We're competitive and show signs of improvement. But I will make sure not to get too excited. If you could let me know when I should or should not be pumped, that would be great. It's too hard for me to know sometimes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back