Opinion Collingwood Rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
There has been a lot of talk about rivalries and that a lot of us have different “most hated” clubs. A lot comes to tradition.

As an Arsenal supporter I love the idea of St Totteringham Day even though the last few years have been a little bare. Do we need a similar celebration and if so against which club?

St Totteringham's Day is the day when Arsenal fans celebrate the fact that Tottenham can no longer catch Arsenal in the League. It is a movable feast, but usually falls in March, April or May. It is the day to collect on bets made by over-optimistic Spurs fans in the close season who think that "this is the year".”

Yeah Alex sorry but we're not soccer like in our rivalries. It's tribal to some, but from observation everyone we play seems to want to claim some sort of rivalry with us. In the 30's it was Richmond, in the 50's it was definitely Melbourne. The 60's brought Carlton into relevance and then in the 70's it was Essendon, Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn and North. The 80's was the big three Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon, the 90's was more North and Hawthorn with some Carlton and Essendon occasionally and then in the naughties it was Brisbane!
The one constant is US....everybody else wants to beat US.
How lucky are we?

Yeah Alex sorry but we're not soccer like in our rivalries. It's tribal to some, but from observation everyone we play seems to want to claim some sort of rivalry with us. In the 30's it was Richmond, in the 50's it was definitely Melbourne. The 60's brought Carlton into relevance and then in the 70's it was Essendon, Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn and North. The 80's was the big three Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon, the 90's was more North and Hawthorn with some Carlton and Essendon occasionally and then in the naughties it was Brisbane!
The one constant is US....everybody else wants to beat US.
How lucky are we?
So 17 celebratory days when we finish top? Very lucky indeed! :)
But I take your point.

Yeah I just like being a part of the club everyone else loves to hate and love they hate us more than we hate them, but the ones I really want to win each year are Carlton and Essendon, if we go undefeated against them it's a good year.

I'm just as keen for us to win each week as ever but I just don't feel the traditional rivalries like I used to. Richmond and Essendon the most (more to do with their supporters than anything) but the loss of the suburban home grounds and the lack of interaction between the big clubs in finals over a long period has just diminished the "arch rival" thing for me.

Carlton.
It really disappoints me when I see anything other than Carlton mentioned.
It's Carlton.
The scum sucking club.
Just remember names like Harmes and Johnson and Bradley and Hunter and Bosustow.
I hated those phukers.
Hate their scum sucking jumper, hate their club.
On a positive note I do love their current predicament.

Carlton.
It's Carlton.
The scum sucking club.
Just remember names like Harmes and Johnson and Bradley and Hunter and Bosustow.
I hated those phukers.
Carlton :poo:

Everything else, other words, names of theirs, all duplicating.

Carlton :poo:

There has been a lot of talk about rivalries and that a lot of us have different “most hated” clubs. A lot comes to tradition.

As an Arsenal supporter I love the idea of St Totteringham Day even though the last few years have been a little bare. Do we need a similar celebration and if so against which club?

St Totteringham's Day is the day when Arsenal fans celebrate the fact that Tottenham can no longer catch Arsenal in the League. It is a movable feast, but usually falls in March, April or May. It is the day to collect on bets made by over-optimistic Spurs fans in the close season who think that "this is the year".”
I like it. Best I could come up with is St.Kade's Day. The day this year when Kade Simpson becomes the losingest player in history. 199 losses, 9 behind Kevin Murray on 208. You inspired me to share my thoughts with the Carlton board.

It's tough to know whether to still feel hate when your arch rivals have become dribbling nappy wearers lying in the gutter needing to have changed their soiled nappy five craps ago, unable to do anything with any coherence except lisp the plaintive moan of "SOS will Save Us" - pronounced "Thoth ill thay uth".

Carlton.
It's Carlton.
The scum sucking club.
I hated those phukers.
Being quite a young lad I've always be brought up to hate Carlton, but with them being s**t all my childhood I really haven't had anything to hate them for aside from what I've been told about our bloodied history. Same goes for Richmond until recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it. Best I could come up with is St.Kade's Day. The day this year when Kade Simpson becomes the losingest player in history. 199 losses, 9 behind Kevin Murray on 208. You inspired me to share my thoughts with the Carlton board.
Damn. He might retire before he gets that honor. Hope not.

It's tough to know whether to still feel hate when your arch rivals have become dribbling nappy wearers lying in the gutter needing to have changed their soiled nappy five craps ago, unable to do anything with any coherence except lisp the plaintive moan of "SOS will Save Us" - pronounced "Thoth ill thay uth".
This is the thing. Arsenal supporters always celebrate the day when it’s mathematically impossible for Spurs to finish above them. Even if that’s in December half way through the season. The day gets commemorated to ensure that the rivalry is still relevant.

Right now, Geelong have an unsurpassed record against us.
Yet there doesn’t seem to be a rivalry, like we have traditionally against Carlton and Melbourne.
Maybe the pre-ceeding century of handbaggery from the cats?

They don’t seem to have shared your enthusiasm

Ungrateful sods!

i know some folks like to wheel out the company line that our greatest rivals are whoever we next play, and yeah, that’s a thing ...

... but our greatest rival is Carlton. Our Carlton rivalry thread on here (currently 93 pages) will no doubt long outlast this thread.

Two things defining the Carlton rivalry ...

(1) Bad memories by any Collingwood supporter over the age of around 45

(2) Carlton hold a few records over us: head-to-head wins, Premiership count (along with Essendon).

I reckon once we sort out (2) we can cast Carlton adrift as being no more or less relevant than the rest of the comp.

They are in such bad shape they can't even do banter anymore. Same for my Carlton mates. They just take it without a yelp.

You would think that would make it less fun to persecute them. Happily, it is still fun.

Yeah, I thought they’d plummeted to a new low when I read on their board that they’d only won one more wooden spoon than us.

You know you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel when you’re using the wooden spoon count as a bragging stat ...

... and pretty sure it’s not even right. Aren’t they sitting on five wooden spoons versus our two?

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought they’d plummeted to a new low when I read on their board someone say they’d only won one more wooden spoon than us.

You know you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel when you’re using the wooden spoon count as a bragging stat ...

... and pretty sure it’s not even right. Aren’t they sitting on five wooden spoons versus our two?
Fun facts:
  • St Kilda has won the most wooden spoons of any existing AFL team, with 27. Its most recent wooden spoon came in 2014.
    • This is followed up by North Melbourne, with 13 wooden spoons. It's most recent was in 1972.
  • Carlton has the longest wooden spoon drought in VFL/AFL history, and was the last of the foundation clubs to win a wooden spoon. Its first wooden spoon came in 2002, the club's 106th season of VFL/AFL competition. Despite this, they currently have the most wooden spoons in the 21st century with five.
  • Collingwood has won the least wooden spoons of the foundation clubs, with only two.
  • Essendon and Collingwood are the only teams to follow up a wooden spoon with a Grand Final appearance, in 190708 and 197677 respectively. Neither was victorious.
  • Carlton are the first (and currently only) team to have both their men's and women's teams 'win' the wooden spoon in the same season, which occurred in 2018.

i know some folks like to wheel out the company line that our greatest rivals are whoever we next play, and yeah, that’s a thing ...

... but our greatest rival is Carlton. Our Carlton rivalry thread on here (currently 93 pages) will no doubt long outlast this thread.

Two things defining the Carlton rivalry ...

(1) Bad memories by any Collingwood supporter over the age of around 45

(2) Carlton hold a few records over us: head-to-head wins, Premiership count (along with Essendon).

I reckon once we sort out (2) we can cast Carlton adrift as being no more or less relevant than the rest of the comp.
It’s not about outlasting one another. My question was do we need a celebration day when for example Carlton can’t finish above us on the ladder similar to Arsenal against Tottenham celebrating st totteringham day.

It’s not about outlasting one another. My question was do we need a celebration day when for example Carlton can’t finish above us on the ladder similar to Arsenal against Tottenham celebrating st totteringham day.
For mine we probably don’t need that day. Probably lends itself more to the first past the post system than our finals system. I like your idea though

For me everyday is a day to celebrate the failings of Carlton. It just enriches my life so much. I have a lot of Carlton mates and lived through 70,79 and 81 so they can never fail enough. Their supporters have become so pathetic and accepting of life as cellar dwellers. Just warms the heart to see them so undisturbed by their position in the AFL hierarchy.

Imagine Wes Lofts appointing Bolton. Can’t? That’s right because it would never have happened.

Being quite a young lad I've always be brought up to hate Carlton, but with them being **** all my childhood I really haven't had anything to hate them for aside from what I've been told about our bloodied history. Same goes for Richmond until recently.
If I could kindly suggest,
You should expand your horizons a little with Carlton.

Don’t ever be lulled by their pitiful grass shoots weeds Bolton virus running through them. Or the Silvagni sickness that is in their DNA.

At some point, somewhere, they will try to hurt you in their nasty way.

So if nothing else, practice being repulsed by them, because practice will make perfect.
For when you inevitably need it.

:moustache:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back