Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstan was very good tonight.

His ability to get handballs and kicks through traffic would look better if we could read them better than the opposition.

He needs to stay in the team so we can learn to read them.

Agreed thought he was best for the Saints with Bruce.He needs to play to that standard every week, rather than revert to his 17 posession games with fumbled handballs and kicks that dont travel over a jam tin.

I was mostly disappointed with Webster and Newnes as 2 of the more experienced players they gave us very little.
Battle was great as was most of the backline. Brown and Savage also good.
Hind had to play next week I don’t care what position just play him.
I liked Dunstans game.
Agree on Webster. Bloke has offered nothing this year. Time to give someone else a crack

Tell you the truth I'm sort of gutted we lost , Eagles , Crows were winnable games and with not having just a couple of our best 22 we have thrown the games away.
We all know we need a elite mid and a goal kicking forward.

We need Steven , Hannerbery and Carlisle back if we are going to play finals.

Long gave nothing last week and again this week - he can't be gifted games

Anyway all is not lost our back line did a good job today and the more games we get into Battle , Wilkie , Paton the better we will be in the future.

I would throw caution to the wind next week and bring in Hind , Marsh and drop Long and Parker - let them show us they can play 4 quarters - they may have x-factor but Jesus they have been hardly sighted some weeks / don't get me wrong I love what Parker brings but he is not doing enough.

Even bring in Blocker Rice , even he would of showed more over 4 quarters or Langlands or Young - and Rice doesn't have the class of Parker and Long.
The selectors can't let these guys get away with going missing in these games.

Hopefully we can get some enjoyment from Winx tomorrow.

Yeah we only made consecutive prelims under GT and a semi final before he was sacked by Butters who has now admitted he has a drug/booze problem.

Meanwhile Richo coasts along with a similar coaching tenure as GT with no finals to show for it.

GT is a winner and Richo is a loser.

Yet we sack a winner and keep a loser, classic St Kilda.
Fair difference in personnel at the disposal of the two coaches

Sinclair playing on quickly and doing a loopy hand pass to a west coast player infuriated me so much, because he plays on quickly it slingshots to a goal at the other end, he does these brain dead hand passes all the time, and symbolises the exact nature of St Kilda problem.. no poise or finesse.. newnes also was terrible and needs to be dropped...

Both sincs and newnes have played enough games, they will always be vfl standard players, they haven’t ever improved..

Good too see battle develop, and our defence has been really good, but we don’t have a good forward line, will struggle to kick 100 points, and our midfield lacks a bit of class...

I’d like to see acres as a pure midfield player like Cripps,and if Hannebery and Steven can get back in, we might with seb Ross, have a really good midfield group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
The last half of the third was the only truly bad football we played tonight but it also allowed them 4 unanswered goals that just put the game out of our reach.

We just absolutely cannot take our chances when they come. Takes miracles like Savage's running banana or Billing's final goal to bring us back into play and its just not enough.

That said, the defence held up pretty damn well tonight all things considering.

I do really rate Marshal but he is still lacking a real competitiveness in the centre that is hurting our clearances.
He is a huge competitor and usually one of the top clearance players on the ground. Had an off day against good opposition is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long has to go, he's all sizzle and no sausage.

He'll give us a couple of moments where we all go wow that's good and do nothing else.

Our greatest indigenous player gave us sizzle but he also backed it up with a fair bit of sausage.

Winmar made the transition from flash in the pan forward to midfield maestro.

He's in my Top 5 Greatest Saints along with Lockett, Harvey, Riewoldt and Hayes.

Obviously a poor performance, but not the worst ever and not disastrous in the circumstances. They battled hard and created opportunities but weren't clinical enough. No disgrace in that, just things to work on.

By the way, the umpiring, particularly by the female umpire (and I in no way mean that in a sexist way) was abysmal, and the greater number of bad calls went against Saints. Poor stuff.

Onto next week!

Sounds like payback for the Noise Of Affirmation comment last year. A photo of Richo with a bullseye scrawled on it in red pen up on the wall in the Director Of Umpiring office at HQ since he said that.

I haven't seen the match yet, but plenty here throwing shade at the umpiring, specifically the female umpire.

I take it all the male ones got their calls correct?

Welcome to the sensitive new age of coaching

Sheldon takes us to finals - sacked

Alves takes us to finals (including a GF) - sacked

GT takes us to finals (including 2 prelims) - sacked

Richo 5 years and counting no finals - well let's not be too hasty and see how this pans out.

The drums are beating.

I haven't seen the match yet, but plenty here throwing shade at the umpiring, specifically the female umpire.

I take it all the male ones got their calls correct?

No they didnt , but the female umpire made some shocking decisions . i only call her the female umpire because i have no idea of any of their names . If i wanted to point to one of the other male umpires i would just say the umpire lol. Unfortunately for her she stands out because she is female so its easy to know when its her that made the mistake . The other umpires can hide because we dont know who they are .

You’ll also notice with Ross that a lot of handballs he gives out to team mates even when he’s not under a great deal of pressure are either loopy, behind them or generally difficult to catch. The player often is able to make it work and therefore it’s “effective” but it just disrupts their ability to quickly move it on.
Ross stats always look good but he rarely passes the eye test. For a ‘leader’ he is a terrible decision maker with no right foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back