Review Hard Fought 16 Point Win Over The Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba quiet the last 2 weeks after Dunkley was moved into the midfield and on the ball (i.e. Libba's previous position).

Dunkley is doing it better so he should continue with the role.

Where does Libba play in the interim? he is not getting it done in the forward line tbh. I feel out setup is only suited to one of Libba/Dunkley, perhaps with his footskills and vision, might work playing him off the HBF, but we are stacked there already.

Libba is still putting in big minutes through the middle. He started the year of incredibly but I wonder if he is starting to feel the pinch a bit after his long lay off.

Libba quiet the last 2 weeks after Dunkley was moved into the midfield and on the ball (i.e. Libba's previous position).

Where does Libba play in the interim? he is not getting it done in the forward line tbh. I feel out setup is only suited to one of Libba/Dunkley, perhaps with his footskills and vision, might work playing him off the HBF, but we are stacked there already.

Libba will have a huge midfield role next week.

He's playing the role better than Toby has all season pretty much. He's better a getting ground balls than Wallis and can still rotate through the middle.

He's alright.

I don't think Hayes is be going out of the team at the moment.

Bailey Smith might need a rest though, I would see Lipinski in for Smith well before he might come in for Hayes after his game today.

Bailey had a hard time adjusting to the conditions today. I don't believe his struggles were due to tiredness.

So my lucky meal that turned into a victory after-the-game meal this evening consisted of a beef schnitzel, chips and salad. Pretty ordinary and it took an hour to get the food. I'll stick to my lucky taco salad. I guess next week's lucky meal will be for a Doggies and Labor victory. I still haven't decided who I want to win for Eurovision. ;)

I thought that was a better win than last week. The tigers were pretty bad, but this Brisbane team came to play, and with zorko, Neale and Martin they have some quality, hard experience in the middle to go with some gun youngsters. But our boys were harder for longer, and Brisbane cracked, not for long, but long enough for us to put a gap on them. Great signs.

Also our forward line is going alright. 90+ two weeks in a row. I know people are down on Gowers, but he contributes, eg he's usually bodying the third man up when Naughty takes flight. I just think that the forwards all have a role and they are starting to gel so we should give them decent run at it and see what they can develop into.

I thought that was a better win than last week. The tigers were pretty bad, but this Brisbane team came to play, and with zorko, Neale and Martin they have some quality, hard experience in the middle to go with some gun youngsters. But our boys were harder for longer, and Brisbane cracked, not for long, but long enough for us to put a gap on them. Great signs.

Also our forward line is going alright. 90+ two weeks in a row. I know people are down on Gowers, but he contributes, eg he's usually bodying the third man up when Naughty takes flight. I just think that the forwards all have a role and they are starting to gel so we should give them decent run at it and see what they can develop into.
Kept an eye on Gowers and I can see why he kept his spot. Ultimately he will need to nail his opportunities, which he doesn’t really do, but he seriously works hard to bring the ball to ground and throws his weight around. Plenty of things that may not register as stats but which were important today.

While I agree very much that we should probably be 2 games better in the win column, Gold Coast have actually played pretty well this year and we definitely didn’t deserve to win that game against them, we are not playing the same now as we were then though. So it’s true you wonder how we could have possibly lost those two but for me it was the Carlton game that was worse. Carlton are a terrible team and we should not have lost to them no matter what. I’m not sure what happened mentally to our guys in that game but they just had a shocker. We still should be able to beat Carlton even having a shocker, and if we just kick straighter against Freo we probably win that one as well.

Glad to be back in the hunt but definitely wasted a chance to be 6-2 and right up near the top. Hopefully they can keep it going next week but it will be about as hard as it gets trying to win down at the Cattery.
May be losing to Carltsh*t was the loss we had to have. footy is a weird game between the ears.

Just joining the comments on McLean. I think he is very underutilized at the moment (as evidenced by his lack of midfield time relative to previous seasons) and seems frustrated by it. Completely subjective but I thought the late shot when he could’ve passed to Wallis on his own in the pocket was symptomatic of a player trying to get involved. It would be good to find a way to get him more involved - maybe he could even be put on a wing or behind the ball at half back for a game if there’s no midfield room. Pure speculation but seems like a frustrated player at the moment.

On Hayes and Young I thought they showed a little more today but, and maybe it is a bit harsh, the conditions were suited to ‘goers’ today so I’m still not convinced they’ll amount to much more than serviceable (I’d venture Young has the bigger ‘upside’) but every team needs one or two of those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hard fought win. Thrilled with the way we touched it out when the Lions had control in the second and then just powered away in the third.

We should approach Geelong with confidence, we have winning form against them. Go out their next week and ambush them.

Why do dogs supporters want to trade dunkley?
At the time Bevo was playing Dunkley out of position as a forward. And as a result wasn't bringing a lot to the side.
Also if you want a quality player you have to give up some quality yourself. Could possibly get something good in return. Given his current form being played in position, he won't be going anywhere

Really hard fought win. Thrilled with the way we touched it out when the Lions had control in the second and then just powered away in the third.

We should approach Geelong with confidence, we have winning form against them. Go out their next week and ambush them.
Bevo will have a plan. 😏

Bevo will have a plan. 😏

Bloody hope so, haven’t put foot inside their ground since 2008, when their fans were so feral after we lost, but made a bet so will have to go this week, unless I can’t get a ticket ;)

Beveridge presser the other week talking about how certain players have physical attributes to play in other positions... just thought it was nice that he decided to chuck Dunkley in the place where his physical attributes actually shine through... just after I traded him out of my Supercoach. Silly me. Silly Bev.

Really enjoyed the defensive pressure in the second half in particular.

Why would you trade out an uninjured premo?

Caleb's speccie, pass to Astro for another speccie and goal was awesome

I actually predicted that play before it happened. Literally said 5 seconds before he kicked he’d just float it in for Naughts to launch at it. I’m sticking with Naughts - don’t want to give credence to a HS nickname. It’ll end up cringeworthy and overused like the Package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh god, people aren’t actually going to start calling him ‘Astro’ are they?!

Cringe!

You would've been overjoyed as I was if you heard the FOX commentator Adam Papalia( I had to google him) say "astronaut on Mars" yesterday then!

Im pretty sure that he'd been carrying around this zinger all afternoon and it went some way to explaining their focus on Naughtons game up until half-time.

"Please do something, Ive got a beauty to roll out when you do!"

Thought it was a good solid win against a 5-2 team with good form outside of the Collingwood flogging.

First quarter was frustrating with the lack of pressure on Brisbane but once we got that right we were the better side.

I liked it more for the solid stuff that we did as a team without standouts.

Lachie Young eliminated his errors and just concentrated on defending and it worked.

My man Fletch ( he actually waved to me at the GF parade when he heard me as the only one to cheer him on) did what he is capable of while probably being aware of going back to the twos next week.

Easton continued his “post big man in the backline freeing him up again” renaissance and just got his body and hands in the way a lot of times. Zaine was the same.

Crozier and Daniel were happy to be solid rather than spectacular and JJ had his best defensive game while still bringing the run we need.

Thought defence was pretty solid.

Bailey Smith could not break free but still worked his arse of in packs.

Ed was very strong and threatened all day. He’s sort of at a poor mans early Bont stage recently where his possession count is low but what he does counts.

Naughts worked through a frustrating Fremantle like first half to become a very important cog in the machine.

Bont didn’t dominate but still got to a lot of contests and got close to his season averages. And he was so clean.

Thought Libba was better than some saw.

While I spent most of the day on the outer hill stirring Hunters decision making and disposal, the fact I spent most of the day doing it underlies how many times he was involved, which is his greatest attribute.

Dunks and Macrae were Dunks and Macrae. Happy we have them.

Lloyd’s best game.

Suckling used his right foot at least three times. There’s hope for Hunter yet.

Last week against Richmond was exciting. But they were pretty ordinary on paper and on field. After quarter time I thought this was our best win for the year in tough conditions against a tough side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back