2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not like he’s a highly rated top 10 pick.
Exactly, he was a bit of a reach from all accounts, a bit like Ainsworth who was also taken in that draft range. Valente was the higher rated mid that we left on the board - I haven’t seen him play but it’ll be interesting to see how they track.

I think our reserves must develop players around the game plan.
But not if that game.plan requires a skill.level above that achievable by the group. The Bs should ideally putting upward pressure on the As. If they are playing a style that just turns the footy over all the time then not many can really put their hand up.
Id we played a style like Richmond tgen sure, it just requires effort and chasing and even an amatures team can do that if fit enough. But our atyle requires a high skill level that even most AFL teams are unable to implement.

Ah Chee, Allen, Grey, Smith, Ainsworth should be more than holding their own at WAFL level but the service going forward is woeful.

Also not convinced on the WAFL side adopting the seniors tactics. I get the logic, but wouldn’t it be more beneficial to play a way that Webster is comfortable and is proven effective at WAFL level? I’d like to see the young guys be given better chances at winning games to boost their confidence and development. This side on the whole doesn’t have the skill level to maintain possession and it’s painful to watch them try to implement it.
Watching Ainsworth turn the ball over constantly will bad kicks was difficult to stomach by the end.

Had their chances to get back in the game in the third but that goal kicking was something else :vomitemoji

But not if that game.plan requires a skill.level above that achievable by the group. The Bs should ideally putting upward pressure on the As. If they are playing a style that just turns the footy over all the time then not many can really put their hand up.
Id we played a style like Richmond tgen sure, it just requires effort and chasing and even an amatures team can do that if fit enough. But our atyle requires a high skill level that even most AFL teams are unable to implement.
If we don't (sadly I dont get to see them play) how can players develop to fill AFL roles and how can we identify who is capable of playing an AFL role. All we would do is develop WAFL players. The Swans do this very well hence they have kids that come in and fit in well.

If we don't (sadly I dont get to see them play) how can players develop to fill AFL roles and how can we identify who is capable of playing an AFL role. All we would do is develop WAFL players. The Swans do this very well hence they have kids that come in and fit in well.
Exactly my point- the Swans rely on a very contested style of play which doesnt revolve around a high possession, high skilled structure. They can develop their magoos within their game plan as their game plan allows it. Ours doesn't and may be part of the reason why the development of our mids in particular hasnt been great. We may have a couple of guys who are capable and when slotted into the As can perform- Ryan, Rioli last year for example. But for many of them, the opportunity to show what they can do at the lower level is hampered by trying to emulate the big boys without the tools to do it effectively and therefor giving the opposition too much of the pill.

We just don't know how to identify and draft proper midfield talent, it's as simple as that.

Sheed our only 'recent' midfield success story, was a Lark medallist, from WA, and a bit of a no brainer.. and even he has only just cemented a spot in the B22.

Pretty sure our last top 10 draft pick was nearly 10 years ago. Andrew Gaff In 2010? So our young mids are mid-level recruits, no top 10s and it shows.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty sure our last top 10 draft pick was nearly 10 years ago. Andrew Gaff In 2010? So our young mids are mid-level recruits, no top 10s and it shows.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dom Sheed for all intents and purposes is a number 6 pick. Gentlemen’s agreement with the Pies saw us take him at 11 after trading away pick 6 to them in 2013. We would likely have taken him earlier if we didn’t need the additional second rounder to get Yeo from Brisbane.

The shorter Ainsworth tried to kick the worse they were. I'd be telling him to turn himself into a Priddis. Develop a killer handball, play with a defensive mindset and if you find yourself out in space, kick it as far as you can to the tallest man you can find wearing our colours.

Stupid chip kicks inside the contest in the centre of the ground just hurt so much when they're turned over by a side that is efficient by hand to move the ball outside and hit up a kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a great game last night. East Perth aren’t a particularly good ride and we shouldn’t have lost at all let alone by that margin

Williams was the highlight for me - thought he showed a bit in the ruck and whilst he’s not AFL ready yet you can see he’s definitely got something to work with

Not much else to get enthused about

I was pretty upbeat about Exxon during preseason but he hasn’t shown much yet - hope it’s just a fitness/strength thing. He looks timid which is a common trait across the park for us unfortunately and why a player with genuine aggression like Grey stands out

I will say I thought the umpiring was terrible all game and whilst we got the benefit of some decisions (the 50 to O’Neill was a joke) EP certainly had the better of it. Game would have been a lot closer with remotely competent umpires

Not a great game last night. East Perth aren’t a particularly good ride and we shouldn’t have lost at all let alone by that margin

Williams was the highlight for me - thought he showed a bit in the ruck and whilst he’s not AFL ready yet you can see he’s definitely got something to work with

I was pretty upbeat about Exxon during preseason but he hasn’t shown much yet - hope it’s just a fitness/strength thing. He looks timid which is a common trait across the park for us unfortunately and why a player with genuine aggression like Grey stands out

I will say I thought the umpiring was terrible all game and whilst we got the benefit of some decisions (the 50 to O’Neill was a joke) EP certainly had the better of it. Game would have been a lot closer with remotely competent umpires

Exxon had a few moments where he showed some good touch gathering the footy but atm looks a bit like a Venables with lower athleticism.

Hopefully he can get a good block of footy in and a clean run at the next pre-season.

Lots of teams haven’t had the luxury of using top 10 picks on mids. What’s the point of the draft if it’s only the first 10 picks that count?
had pick 13 which they got venables who is yet to prove himself a midfielder.The guy they overlooked is playing midfield for port Adelaide,In the tim Kelly Draft they had a chance to use the first for best player available and could have got tim with the second pick.Both players would have improved or given depth to the eagles.What we have now is a very thin midfield and should any of Shuey Gaff,Redden or yeo have a injury for any length of time I wouldn't hold my breathe that any from the wafl will be able to step up.

Agree. Having watched the last two streams, I am not over enthused about our recruits. They are still green, yes I know, but Ainsworth, Exxon and Foley have shown so little. It's very worrying. Williams and Cameron will be okay - both show promise.

had pick 13 which they got venables who is yet to prove himself a midfielder.The guy they overlooked is playing midfield for port Adelaide,In the tim Kelly Draft they had a chance to use the first for best player available and could have got tim with the second pick.Both players would have improved or given depth to the eagles.What we have now is a very thin midfield and should any of Shuey Gaff,Redden or yeo have a injury for any length of time I wouldn't hold my breathe that any from the wafl will be able to step up.
I wouldn't worry too much about our draft selections over the last few years.
I think we have done particularly well over the time seeing as we picked up a wee Cup with very few top end picks.
You can always cherry pick different situations like Wellingham instead of Grundy or Masten instead of Dangerfield and Cyril but the science is very inexact.

Lots of teams haven’t had the luxury of using top 10 picks on mids. What’s the point of the draft if it’s only the first 10 picks that count?

Top 10 does help though.

Looking at recent drafts, 2017 we missed out on Higgins (17), Kelly (24) and Worpel (45). Yeah, handy players, but all flawed and even now you'd struggle to argue they should have been picked ahead of Brander (Higgins), OAllen (Kelly), Ryan & Petch (Worpel). TKelly is killing it, but still not in the mould of the elite mids of the competition. Top 10 draft pick mids are a standout.

2016 we took Venables, probably botched that one when Berry was available. But hindsight is hindsight, there's a lot of vanilla that went after our pick. Berry aside, top 10 draft picks stand out again.

Recruiters in general are getting it right these days across the board and the chances of drafting a Shuey or Fyfe at #20 will become increasingly rare. If you want a genuine a-grade Judd/Cousins/Kerr quality player, you need super early picks.

Top 10 does help though.

Looking at recent drafts, 2017 we missed out on Higgins (17), Kelly (24) and Worpel (45). Yeah, handy players, but all flawed and even now you'd struggle to argue they should have been picked ahead of Brander (Higgins), OAllen (Kelly), Ryan & Petch (Worpel). TKelly is killing it, but still not in the mould of the elite mids of the competition. Top 10 draft pick mids are a standout.
Constable also. It’s too early to call with the other players taken later on. Just as it’s too early to call with our blokes.

FYI we could have still taken Petch and Ryan as well as Worpel (or CC), if we left Ainsworth on the board.

It’s the 3-4 years before 2017 that are the issue in terms of our midfield depth. But looking back through those years, there weren’t many that we missed out on.

Seems like these days clubs are much more likely to leave forwards and half backs in particular on the table until much later in the draft than mids.

Eg. 2013
Byrne-Jones 52
Fantasia 55
Sicily 56
Hunt 57

Seems to still be a couple of successful mids taken in the rookie draft each year though.

was happy to go down on Thursday night and watch East perth win.Some things never change.The last couple of years of the alignment east perth had one of the weakest midfields .The fact that they won the game even though the beagles ruckman easily won the hitouts is alarming.Maybe the penny will drop this year and they will make their priority to draft/trade a decent midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back