Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Any guernsey worn by Port in an AFL game should contain a minimum of 10% teal. Heritage round or milestone commemoration etc can be excepted.

Any guernsey worn by Port in an AFL game should contain a minimum of 10% teal. Heritage round or milestone commemoration etc can be excepted.
How about 10% on the inside of the jumper.

The bottom line is that Richmond and Essendon have the same design as their jumpers. Similarly so does Collingwood and North Melbourne. The difference being some colours.

Ports WP and Collingwoods PB jumpers are similar in that they use the same colours. The design of the Port jumper is different to the Collingwood jumper. Even the stripes are different.

Next thing we will hear from Eddie is other clubs can't have numbers on the back of their jumpers, because it's too confusing.
Essendon and Richmond have similar design features, Collingwood and North Melbourne the same, PB's and Collingwood have similar designs and colours. AND Colours. Hear that. DESIGN AND COLOURS. Are you an imbecile or something. Having similar designs but different colours does not mean they are similar whatsoever. If PA wore the prison bars in say magenta and white, I wouldn't give two hoots about them returning to a jumper like so. But they wear black and white stripes of some form, Collingwood wear stripes. Collingwood wear black and white, PA wear black and white. Can't you see. They're similar. THEY ARE MUCH MORE SIMILAR THAN ESSENDON AND RICHMOND or NORTH AND COLLINGWOOD WILL EVER BE.

The bottom line is that Richmond and Essendon have the same design as their jumpers. Similarly so does Collingwood and North Melbourne. The difference being some colours.

Ports WP and Collingwoods PB jumpers are similar in that they use the same colours. The design of the Port jumper is different to the Collingwood jumper. Even the stripes are different.

Next thing we will hear from Eddie is other clubs can't have numbers on the back of their jumpers, because it's too confusing.
Please just stop mate. I'm happy to argue with people like El Scorcho who have valid points about the Prison Bars, but you mate are a different kettle of fish. Please just stop.

Richmond and Essendon - exact same design, 1 mutual colour, 1 distinct colour.

Collingwood and North - exact same design, 1 mutual colour, 1 distinct colour.

Geelong and Carlton - completely different design, 2 mutual colours.

PBs and Collingwood - similar design, 2 mutual colours.

Someone needs to draw up a grid with one axis being colours, the other design. I don't think the PBs would be an obvious outlier here.

Essendon and Richmond have similar design features, Collingwood and North Melbourne the same, PB's and Collingwood have similar designs and colours. AND Colours. Hear that. DESIGN AND COLOURS. Are you an imbecile or something. Having similar designs but different colours does not mean they are similar whatsoever. If PA wore the prison bars in say magenta and white, I wouldn't give two hoots about them returning to a jumper like so. But they wear black and white stripes of some form, Collingwood wear stripes. Collingwood wear black and white, PA wear black and white. Can't you see. They're similar. THEY ARE MUCH MORE SIMILAR THAN ESSENDON AND RICHMOND or NORTH AND COLLINGWOOD WILL EVER BE.
You know you are winning the argument when you have to type with caps lock on!

I can see why Collingwood fans are so opposed to Port wearing its wharf pylon jumper in the AFL.
This guy is so confused now that he's arguing against his own clubs prison bar jumper.

And I'm the imbecile...:eek:

I've sat back all week and read through every post. This is my thoughts:

Port Adelaide have a fascination with wearing the Prison Bars, which are 50% black and 50% white. The same colours and same ratio as a pre-exisiting VFL/AFL team (Collingwood), in a similar (not the same, not completely different, but similar) design.

Collingwood want to keep their image as the only team in the competition which wear Black & White, and so do not like the idea of Port wearing a Black & White jumper.

Port Adelaide continues to be stubborn, insisting that if they are to wear the jumper it must be worn in it's traditional form, which is unreasonable in a small competition with a team already wearing Black & White.

Any mention of adding Teal to the jumper brings on a storm of arguments about the 'sanctity' of the jumper, even though adding teal would allow the jumper to be worn (another component of the stubbornness).

The AFL have been largely quiet about the issue, however I suspect that they would rather not have two teams wearing the same colours in a similar design in a small competition which is trying its heart out to expand internationally.

Around the world, there are teams that wear the same colours. Take the Spurs and Nets in the NBA. While in some ways comparisons can be made between the Spurs/Nets and Power/Magpies, the truth is that the NBA has 30 teams, not 18, and is already on a worldwide scale, and as such matching colours are much less of an issue than they are in the AFL.

Port Adelaide need to get realistic. They need to either embrace their current brand (which is very solid and has the capacity to be successful) or realise that the Prison Bars need Teal to be allowed full-time. I'm sorry, but wearing a 50% black and 50% white jumper in a similar design to a team which pre-dates it in the VFL/AFL by 100 years is not going to happen, and shouldn't happen either.

Collingwood needs to accept that Port Adelaide want the bars back, and if Teal is prominent enough that it is classed as a three-colour jumper, not two, then I reckon they'd allow the jumper to be worn.

The AFL need to put the foot down and have a clear stance, or give both sides an ultimatum regarding what to wear and what colours to use, otherwise the constant bickering and circling arguments (such as those within this thread) will continue.

Port Adelaide have a fascination with wearing the Prison Bars, which are 50% black and 50% white. The same colours and same ratio as a pre-exisiting VFL/AFL team (Collingwood), in a similar (not the same, not completely different, but similar) design.

Collingwood want to keep their image as the only team in the competition which wear Black & White, and so do not like the idea of Port wearing a Black & White jumper.

Port Adelaide continues to be stubborn, insisting that if they are to wear the jumper it must be worn in it's traditional form, which is unreasonable in a small competition with a team already wearing Black & White.

Any mention of adding Teal to the jumper brings on a storm of arguments about the 'sanctity' of the jumper, even though adding teal would allow the jumper to be worn (another component of the stubbornness).

The AFL have been largely quiet about the issue, however I suspect that they would rather not have two teams wearing the same colours in a similar design in a small competition which is trying its heart out to expand internationally.

Around the world, there are teams that wear the same colours. Take the Spurs and Nets in the NBA. While in some ways comparisons can be made between the Spurs/Nets and Power/Magpies, the truth is that the NBA has 30 teams, not 18, and is already on a worldwide scale, and as such matching colours are much less of an issue than they are in the AFL.

Port Adelaide need to get realistic. They need to either embrace their current brand (which is very solid and has the capacity to be successful) or realise that the Prison Bars need Teal to be allowed full-time. I'm sorry, but wearing a 50% black and 50% white jumper in a similar design to a team which pre-dates it in the VFL/AFL by 100 years is not going to happen, and shouldn't happen either.

Collingwood needs to accept that Port Adelaide want the bars back, and if Teal is prominent enough that it is classed as a three-colour jumper, not two, then I reckon they'd allow the jumper to be worn.

The AFL need to put the foot down and have a clear stance, or give both sides an ultimatum regarding what to wear and what colours to use, otherwise the constant bickering and circling arguments (such as those within this thread) will continue.
I'd be happy to use a teal away/clash jumper to avoid any clashes. If we wore the Prison Bars at Adelaide Oval against Richmond in their away jumper for example, that doesn't clash with Collingwood. They are not on the ground. It's not Port Adelaide vs Richmond vs Collingwood.

Port's guernsey will neither hinder nor assist the AFL's push into international markets. The game itself will determine whether internationals take to it. Two teams having similar guernseys will have zero impact. Zero. We need to remove the 'international push' from the prison bars debate entirely.

I'd be happy to use a teal away/clash jumper to avoid any clashes. If we wore the Prison Bars at Adelaide Oval against Richmond in their away jumper for example, that doesn't clash with Collingwood. They are not on the ground. It's not Port Adelaide vs Richmond vs Collingwood.

Teal needs to be used as part of the home jumper (preferably as standard-sized side panels), and as a base for the clash jumper. Just Black & White as the home jumper is pushing it

Port's guernsey will neither hinder nor assist the AFL's push into international markets. The game itself will determine whether internationals take to it. Two teams having similar guernseys will have zero impact. Zero. We need to remove the 'international push' from the prison bars debate entirely.

The AFL is trying to spread the game around the world, it's quite clear. They don't want international fans just learning the game looking through images of the teams and seeing two teams wearing the same colours and a similar design. They want each team to have their own clear brand and colours, which is why Teal needs to be part of the design

Teal needs to be used as part of the home jumper (preferably as standard-sized side panels), and as a base for the clash jumper. Just Black & White as the home jumper is pushing it

The AFL is trying to spread the game around the world, it's quite clear. They don't want international fans just learning the game looking through images of the teams and seeing two teams wearing the same colours and a similar design. They want each team to have their own clear brand and colours, which is why Teal needs to be part of the design
Mmmm, no. I don't think international viewers give a sh!t if Port wears teal or PBs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

Why is it more of an issue in the AFL than in the NBA or NFL or EPL or Super Rugby or any other major sporting competition. This keeps getting rolled out but nobody can tell me why it's different in the AFL.

Why shouldn't it happen? Can you give me examples of other leagues where a similar uniform issue has caused problems? Hell i'll even buy into your international push argument. Why does this hamper the international push the AFL may or may not be undertaking any more than The Pistons and the Clippers wearing exactly the same colours does for the NBA?

Port Adelaide were admitted to the AFL on the back of an enormous history in South Australia. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if the AFL bought into that history and used it to their advantage instead of shutting it away as much as possible? If they wanted a generic franchise, they should have started one.

They're not the same jumper
We're not trying to bring back the Magpie moniker
We won 30 odd flags in the jumper

It's just weird to me that anyone would be against it. Spare me the bad faith 1997 arguments, far out. I thought this board was above that dross.

Why?

Why is it more of an issue in the AFL than in the NBA or NFL or EPL or Super Rugby or any other major sporting competition. This keeps getting rolled out but nobody can tell me why it's different in the AFL.

Because the AFL has half the amount of teams these leagues do. Two teams wearing black and white is less of an issue when there's 30 other teams in the competition and colour combinations are scarce, but when there's a suitable option available within our 18 team comp to allow the bars to be worn without using the exact same colours and ratios as another team it should be explored

Why shouldn't it happen? Can you give me examples of other leagues where a similar uniform issue has caused problems?

It doesn't cause problems because there's 30 other teams in the competition and the scale they are on is huge in comparison to the AFL. We have 18 teams, it is less desireable to have two teams wearing the exact same colours because there's more chances of brands and identities clashing and confusion among casual and new fans to the league

It's just weird to me that anyone would be against it. Spare me the bad faith 1997 arguments, far out. I thought this board was above that dross.

Fair enough that you find it weird, but there are a small group of people on the board and in the wider community that think an alternative version of bars should be worn, or they shouldn't be worn at all

Because the AFL has half the amount of teams these leagues do. Two teams wearing black and white is less of an issue when there's 30 other teams in the competition and colour combinations are scarce, but when there's a suitable option available within our 18 team comp to allow the bars to be worn without using the exact same colours and ratios as another team it should be explored

Yeh, they have 30 NBA teams, they are also a country with 300 million more people. 12 more teams for an extra 300 million people. Why cherry pick the data to try reinforce an already weak argument? And you guys are now trying to say our league is this tiny thing? lol..
The ridiculousness of this argument. You can have the same design just in different colours, but you can't have a different design in the same colours.

It doesn't cause problems because there's 30 other teams in the competition and the scale they are on is huge in comparison to the AFL. We have 18 teams, it is less desireable to have two teams wearing the exact same colours because there's more chances of brands and identities clashing and confusion among casual and new fans to the league

So you're saying that if we had another 12 teams in the league, there wouldn't be a problem with Port wearing black and white?
What sort of logic is that? Do the reasons being used by the Collingwood faithful suddenly disappear if we had 30 teams?
The argument that we don't have enough teams would make sense if this were 1897.
And even then if you look at the 1897 uniforms, what a great spread of colours...not. All this comes down to is some Victorians refusing to budge on something logical, for illogical reasons. They still view this national competition as an expanded VFL. Other interstate clubs should take note, and realize the longer they take to form a united bloc the longer the VFL faction will continue to do as they please, especially with the officiating of the game which is shambolic to say the least.

Fair enough that you find it weird, but there are a small group of people on the board and in the wider community that think an alternative version of bars should be worn, or they shouldn't be worn at all

What's it got to do with the wider community what a club they don't support wears?
Port has never been interested in wearing 7 vertical black and white stripes that cover the full front and almost half the back of their jumper like Collingwood.
It's not trying to, nor are its fans suggesting that it bring the Magpie moniker into the AFL.

Collingwood should add fluro green to their jumper.

Port will always have a Port Adelaide logo on their guernsey, it's a long term tradition.
Didn't that long term tradition only start 10 years ago with the kid's jumper? I may be wrong but I don't remember the SBS jumper ever having a Port logo on it.

And you guys are now trying to say our league is this tiny thing? lol..

In comparison to the NBA, NFL, EPL, MLB, NHL... yes it is. They first three reach around a billion people, the latter two reach hundreds of millions. How many does AFL reach? Maybe 100 million? Much less than the aforementioned sports leagues

You can have the same design just in different colours, but you can't have a different design in the same colours.

Correct. The same colours being used by two different teams is much more of an issue than the same design

So you're saying that if we had another 12 teams in the league, there wouldn't be a problem with Port wearing black and white?

Correct. There would be enough teams and colours being used that we could get away with two teams wearing black and white

Do the reasons being used by the Collingwood faithful suddenly disappear if we had 30 teams?

The arguments they are currently using would be diminished if there were more teams in the competition, because more teams means less chance of identity clashes

The argument that we don't have enough teams would make sense if this were 1897.

It would have been even worse in 1897, but it is still fairly relevant today, especially given the growth in the VFL/AFL has been alongside the growth in population

And even then if you look at the 1897 uniforms, what a great spread of colours...not.

It was a lot harder to create designs and even a variety of colours were hard to come by in 1897. And the spread was actually not too bad (rather good actually) considering the circumstances

They still view this national competition as an expanded VFL

Technically, it is. Those from interstate are convinced that a completely new and fresh competition started up in 1990, forgetting that teams had been playing in the same competition for 90 years prior

Other interstate clubs should take note, and realize the longer they take to form a united bloc the longer the VFL faction will continue to do as they please

Not certain how this is relevant, just another interstate person crying #VicBias

especially with the officiating of the game which is shambolic to say the least

So we've gone from a debate about a jumper and colours to the apparent bias in umpiring? Haha!

What's it got to do with the wider community what a club they don't support wears?

Because many of us each pour thousands of dollars into the AFL, and collectively we pour millions into the game. To the surprise of some Port Adelaide fans, the supporters of the other 17 teams are allowed to have an opinion

Port has never been interested in wearing 7 vertical black and white stripes that cover the full front and almost half the back of their jumper like Collingwood.
It's not trying to, nor are its fans suggesting that it bring the Magpie moniker into the AFL

That's not the issue. The issue is that you want to wear the exact same colours in a similar design to a team that predates its existence in the VFL/AFL by 100 years. The issue would be solved if you wore a third colour on the jumper, but any mention of that idea (which is very reasonable) is shouted down quite quickly

Collingwood should add fluro green to their jumper.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

For some reason, I'm curious. Why should Collingwood add fluro green to their jumper?

The pies should take some inspiration from Joffa & create an all-gold clash strip complete with sparkles.

Yeh, they have 30 NBA teams, they are also a country with 300 million more people. 12 more teams for an extra 300 million people. Why cherry pick the data to try reinforce an already weak argument? And you guys are now trying to say our league is this tiny thing? lol..
The ridiculousness of this argument. You can have the same design just in different colours, but you can't have a different design in the same colours.

What sort of logic is that? Do the reasons being used by the Collingwood faithful suddenly disappear if we had 30 teams?

Arbitrary number of teams is arbitrary. If there were 30 teams in the AFL they’d just peg the requirement at 40.

Also there are 10 teams in the A-League and 2 of them wear almost identical home shirts and funnily enough the sky (blue) hasn’t fallen.

In comparison to the NBA, NFL, EPL, MLB, NHL... yes it is. They first three reach around a billion people, the latter two reach hundreds of millions. How many does AFL reach? Maybe 100 million? Much less than the aforementioned sports leagues

Is this guy serious? So a billion people can tell the difference between two NBA teams with the same colours, but 25 ~ million people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between two teams with the same colours?

Correct. The same colours being used by two different teams is much more of an issue than the same design

LMFAO. How so? Branding? Image?
So what's your brand and image? Besides colours, the jumper. It is what identifies you on the field. Here we have two different jumpers, with some similarities, and the same colours, unable to be used because some Victorians are too stupid to tell the difference, but apparently they can tell the difference just fine between the same designs.

Correct. There would be enough teams and colours being used that we could get away with two teams wearing black and white

LMFAO. What a weak as piss excuse. Do you expect a serious response to this tripe?

It was a lot harder to create designs and even a variety of colours were hard to come by in 1897. And the spread was actually not too bad (rather good actually) considering the circumstances

Wow. So it was a lot harder for 8 teams to come up with different designs and colour combinations, but it's easier now for 18 teams to come up with different designs and colour combinations.
Yes, the spread of colours was so good, red, white, blue, black.
Everyone in world sport, hold up a minute, the Victorian "foundation" wankfest has a monopoly on these colours. They are their colours, only they can use them. Every one else adopt another colour please.

Technically, it is. Those from interstate are convinced that a completely new and fresh competition started up in 1990, forgetting that teams had been playing in the same competition for 90 years prior

You only want it to be the same competition, because without including VFL flags, Victorian clubs would be pretty average with the exception of Hawthorn and Geelong. They'd be marginally better then Fremantle with zero success.
In the same mindset though, you don't want to accept that a non-Victorian club has history outside of the national competition. Hence the big fuss over what Port Adelaide wears and what colours it uses. It hurts your sense of pride and false superiority, that it is just the VFL under a new name, to have a non-Vic club with so much success, more success then your own Victorian clubs in fact. I'd be worried too when non-Vic clubs have almost won as many premierships since 1990 as the Vic clubs in a heavily biased pro-Vic competition. I too would be fighting tooth and nail to stop a traditional club older then most Vic clubs in the league with far more success then all of them from being able to wear a jumper it enjoyed more success in then all Vic clubs in the league, a jumper that forms part of that successful and strong identity and club culture.

Not certain how this is relevant, just another interstate person crying #VicBias

Says the Victorian who just got done telling us how the AFL is just an expanded VFL.

So we've gone from a debate about a jumper and colours to the apparent bias in umpiring? Haha!

It's only a debate about bias umpiring if you decide to take it out of context of the overall comment and make it into a separate debate.
Of course when you are running out of arguments and the ones you do rely on are so flimsy and weak, I too would be looking to change the course of the debate like you are right now.

Because many of us each pour thousands of dollars into the AFL, and collectively we pour millions into the game. To the surprise of some Port Adelaide fans, the supporters of the other 17 teams are allowed to have an opinion

You now represent the 17 other teams? Is there anything these Victorians think they aren't entitled to?

That's not the issue. The issue is that you want to wear the exact same colours in a similar design to a team that predates its existence in the VFL/AFL by 100 years. The issue would be solved if you wore a third colour on the jumper, but any mention of that idea (which is very reasonable) is shouted down quite quickly

A Victorian says its reasonable for Port Adelaide to compromise it's history and heritage, but perish the thought the Victorian would suggest a Victorian team should compromise. After all, the Victorian says the AFL is just an expanded VFL competition.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

For some reason, I'm curious. Why should Collingwood add fluro green to their jumper?

For the same reason Port Adelaide should add teal to their wharf pylon jumper.

Arbitrary number of teams is arbitrary. If there were 30 teams in the AFL they’d just peg the requirement at 40.

Also there are 10 teams in the A-League and 2 of them wear almost identical home shirts and funnily enough the sky (blue) hasn’t fallen.

Thank you for this example, I hadn't thought of it but it's absolutely perfect. An Australian premier sporting league with less teams than the AFL, with two clubs wearing almost identical jerseys (even more identical than Collingwood's stripes and Port's bars), and there is little to no confusion when watching a game if you're watching Sydney or Melbourne City. I'm yet to hear of an instance of Sydney fans in uproar because they accidentally bought City jerseys.

Similar thing happened too - Sydney were in arms when City announced they were moving to the all sky-blue kit, but here we are and after all the hoohah about it, everyone's lives went on. Sydney's brand was not diminished.

ZXgJZz3.png

Thank you for this example, I hadn't thought of it but it's absolutely perfect. An Australian premier sporting league with less teams than the AFL, with two clubs wearing almost identical jerseys (even more identical than Collingwood's stripes and Port's bars), and there is little to no confusion when watching a game if you're watching Sydney or Melbourne City. I'm yet to hear of an instance of Sydney fans in uproar because they accidentally bought City jerseys.

Similar thing happened too - Sydney were in arms when City announced they were moving to the all sky-blue kit, but here we are and after all the hoohah about it, everyone's lives went on. Sydney's brand was not diminished.

ZXgJZz3.png

This example shows how this is all about politics, not practicality. It’s about where the power is and despite our nickname it’s not with Port Adelaide. If only we were backed by Arabian billionaires.

ZXgJZz3.png

95195.jpg

Back