Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs are more than just the AFL club and also have a vfl club as well , I would be happy to bet that Pickett will play 4-5 games at some level this year and could be the difference of us winning the vfl grand final which also goes a fair way to youth development , I also would not mind betting that if richmond progress in their finals campaign then Pickett will well and truly be ready to play if required the last sat in september where Grigg would not have been.

If say for exampe that its a Richmond v Geelong grand Final and Pickett is included in the team to play in the GF would you still take 'Umbrage' ?

Gardner playing this weekend, that’s 1 more debutant this season from this draft than I was expecting.

This made me think perhaps in future clubs should only be able to draft players that play for their feeder club? Doesn’t disadvantage state league clubs and means players are up to date with structures.

Gardner playing this weekend, that’s 1 more debutant this season from this draft than I was expecting.

This made me think perhaps in future clubs should only be able to draft players that play for their feeder club? Doesn’t disadvantage state league clubs and means players are up to date with structures.

Don’t mind it only real problem with that is that there are plenty of non affiliated state league clubs and it would be unfair on those players playing for said clubs purely because of who they play for not given a look in

No-one else brought in an injured player, lol. I am 'salty' about that side of it too, but at least they're fit and healthy, so could fill a need if an injury crisis strikes anytime soon. Pickett can't do that...as he's injured. I have said it umpteen times, I'm happy he got a shot, just think that his case specifically exposes how much of a farce this whole mid-season draft was in the first place.

I would be saying the same if this was any other club (including my own)
Christ.

I have to say, your logic is absolutely bizarre and doesnt meet the common sense test.

Honestly, your either not feeling well or just generally an irrational person.

Think first post second.

@Richoatthedosco

You have to ask yourself, why did we select Pickett if the chances of him actually getting on the park this year are slim?

That is essentially the point being made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because of the players selected he is the one most likely to be able to step into and contribute to a side in a premiership window.
Pretty simple

That might be your position, but you've seen some of your ilk in the 'no oppo' threads. You seriously going to say that if the shoe wasn't on the other foot right now, that others wouldn't be crying out bloody murder?

I'll say it one last time, I'm happy he got drafted as he deserves a second chance. I'm not happy that he replaced someone under the guise of 'getting in a ready made player to bolster the list' when it's a clear example of it not being the case.
I reckon a mature player of 27 years of age with a 8-10 week injury still has more chance of playing this season than one of the 18 year old kids picked up does. Don’t you think the clubs drafting the kids are doing it more with a longer term view than replacing an injured player? If anything rules will be changed making the min draft age for the mid season draft to be 21. In that respect Richmond have actually kept more to the intended purpose of the draft than a club like Melbourne picking Dunkley.

I reckon a mature player of 27 years of age with a 8-10 week injury still has more chance of playing this season than one of the 18 year old kids picked up does. Don’t you think the clubs drafting the kids are doing it more with a longer term view than replacing an injured player? If anything rules will be changed making the min draft age for the mid season draft to be 21. In that respect Richmond have actually kept more to the intended purpose of the draft than a club like Melbourne picking Dunkley.
I agree, otherwise complainants ought to take matter up with the AFL...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good job completely missing the point.
You have been banging on about the integrity of the Tigers picking Marlion Pickett for a number posts now. I am surprised no one has said this already. Richmond had a pick in this draft because Grigg retired with injuries severe enough to stop him from playing at the level he believes is required. That is integrity. Grigg chose not to hang around until his contract expires thus collecting all his payments without playing another game. That is integrity. Richmond drafted a 27 year old that has spent a couple of years in jail and at that age was on his last chance to get onto an AFL list. That is integrity. Richmond still drafted him even after he broke his finger severely just before the draft. He will not play any/many games this year even though they have a number of great players injured. Once again that is integrity. Not quite sure what your interpretation of integrity is.

Shadow89 must be a troll. That's the only explanation on why he says he takes "umbrage" with what Richmond did. One of the few sides that actually did the right thing and gave a chance to someone who has been continually overlooked in past drafts. If they are not a troll they are one of the dumbest posters I've ever seen on BF and that's saying something considering how long I've been here and the quality of posts I've seen. They cannot understand that Marlion is one of the few players that actually may be able to impact this year at some stage. So I believe they are a troll. No one could be that dumb.

I agree. This means that there is no integrity in the idea as a whole, because barely any of the players are being used for the designated purpose of the reasoning behind why this was introduced in the first place.

I just take umbrage a bit more with Richmond and Pickett, because I think its just a blatant misuse that exposes the fallacy of 'replacing players on the long term injury list.' If they're being honest, then it should just be a mid-season draft, with a free hit for anyone. Make contracts 18 months, 36 months etc. as well as 1 year or 2-5 years, and enable more movement. Don't hide behind this BS that clubs are injury stricken and they need ready made players to 'fill the gaps.'

If none of these players really are 'ready made' then what the hell is the point in having the mid-season draft in the first place?
Why don't you write a letter to Steve HOCKING tell him how we rorted the system,, I'm sure he will automatically delist marlion
And send him down to the cattery just to appease you, ,
Richmond were very shrewd in getting marlion to the club, we broke no law we did nothing illegal or immoral
DEAL WITH IT

Would anyone be able to have a crack at where they think each of the mid season draftees might have been tracking if we went straight to next years draft? I have no idea.

Obviously I’m most curious about Dunkley but am definitely interested in some of the others too.

"Take Umbrage"
When someone takes umbrage at something, they find it offensive, and it probably makes them angry.

Umbrage comes from the same source as umbrella, the Latin umbra, "shade, shadow." The umbrella was invented to keep you in shade, and when you take umbrage at something, you're casting a shadow over the person or thing responsible for the offense. I take umbrage at the suggestion that I'm not a nice person: it's offensive and infuriating. After having devoted my life to helping animals, I might take umbrage at the notion that I've been doing it for publicity purposes: I resent the idea that it was for any other reason than my love of animals.

I now take umbrage to shadow89 taking umbrage

Would anyone be able to have a crack at where they think each of the mid season draftees might have been tracking if we went straight to next years draft? I have no idea.

Obviously I’m most curious about Dunkley but am definitely interested in some of the others too.
Knightmare has said Dunkley would have gone around 40.

Shadow89 must be a troll. That's the only explanation on why he says he takes "umbrage" with what Richmond did. One of the few sides that actually did the right thing and gave a chance to someone who has been continually overlooked in past drafts. If they are not a troll they are one of the dumbest posters I've ever seen on BF and that's saying something considering how long I've been here and the quality of posts I've seen. They cannot understand that Marlion is one of the few players that actually may be able to impact this year at some stage. So I believe they are a troll. No one could be that dumb.
Every club involved in mid season draft did the right thing,, not just Richmond. Mid season draft is an extension of SPP Eg Sydney stack.

Last edited:
Every club involved in mid season draft did the right thing,, not just Richmond. Mid season draft is an extension of SPP Eg Sydney stack.
Under the current rules yes, they have done right thing. However, the spirit of the concept was to give guys who had missed out being drafted a go, not to draft guys that would be selected in the ND.

Under the current rules yes, they have done right thing. However, the spirit of the concept was to give guys who had missed out being drafted a go, not to draft guys that would be selected in the ND.
Nobody knew they will get selected in this year ND draft , they could get injured again (eg Lawson, tipungwunti ) in Tac cup,U18, state league toward the end of the season and miss out again. Clubs need to paid these players on top of your injured players, is not a free hit or misses.

Last edited:
I don't remember any Cats fans getting upset when they basically got priority access to Kreuger through a one off concession given to Carlton only one month before the national draft.

At least this time around all clubs were given the opportunity to take a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back