Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

"Take Umbrage"
When someone takes umbrage at something, they find it offensive, and it probably makes them angry.

Umbrage comes from the same source as umbrella, the Latin umbra, "shade, shadow." The umbrella was invented to keep you in shade, and when you take umbrage at something, you're casting a shadow over the person or thing responsible for the offense. I take umbrage at the suggestion that I'm not a nice person: it's offensive and infuriating. After having devoted my life to helping animals, I might take umbrage at the notion that I've been doing it for publicity purposes: I resent the idea that it was for any other reason than my love of animals.

I now take umbrage to shadow89 taking umbrage
Im offended that he is offended.

Why the angst over Pickett?
It's not like he has suddenly decided to perform this year.
Anyone could have taken him at last years draft right?
What has changed that he is now apparently so coveted.

It's because he was drafted by the Tiges.
Just like when Lynch decided he wanted to come to the Tigers there were people crying "is this the way Free Agency is supposed to be?!?"

People don't like seeing Richmond making good decisions when they've become so used to us being a laughing stock.

Last edited:
As suspected, not many clubs are even going to use their players to compensate for injuries. Just using it as a means of getting a free draft pick and undercutting other clubs before the national draft. Picking up Marlion Pickett when he's injured for nearly the rest of the season, just so they don't have to compete with others in the draft next year, is beyond dodgy to me and against the spirit of the idea.

Not impressed at all with this.

hiring Stephen Dank and dean Robinson seems dodgy to me too. Bombers just unlucky they caught out whilst the cats got 3 flags

Would anyone be able to have a crack at where they think each of the mid season draftees might have been tracking if we went straight to next years draft? I have no idea.

Obviously I’m most curious about Dunkley but am definitely interested in some of the others too.
Ryan Gardner - delisted free agent from Geelong.

Just like Joel Hamling :cool:

"Here are the key questions answered.

When is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Monday May 27, the night after round 10 concludes.

Why is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft being introduced?

******It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.********

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign.

How many picks will my club have?
Clubs can fill vacancies on their list created by players succumbing to long-term injury, or retiring from the game."

I'd be saying the very same thing if we picked him up too. I'm happy he's getting a shot. I'm not happy that he's not being brought in under the intended purpose of the idea.

Some of you really need to learn how to communicate better...I'm not 'melting' or 'hating Richmond.' I genuinely think that the idea as a whole has displayed its lack of integrity, and it doesn't sit well with me.

I genuinely do hope he plays this year, and plays well, as he looks like a great player. The competition is better for these type of players. If he doesn't play though (or many of the others don't as well), then there was no need for the mid-season draft in the first place[/QUOTE]

Well there you go. Just validated that we used the draft as it was meant to be. Thanks Shaun Grigg

You should all ask yourselves this - what if Geelong had put Cockatoo on the injury list and then taken Pickett? Given all the conspiracy theories about the AFL and Geelong, would not be a stretch to think that some sort of 'oh look the AFL looking after Geelong again...rorting the system...it's a joke...we would have got Pickett in the national draft' etc. etc.

But of course everything Richmond does is heaven sent.
go through bigfooty and show us where this richmond sooking about geelong is.
apart from valid questions about ablett elbowing players in the head, where is the sooking?

It's because he was drafted by the Tiges.
Just like when Lynch decided he wanted to come to the Tigers there were people crying "is this the way Free Agency is supposed to be?!?"

People don't like seeing Richmond making good decisions when they've become so used to us being a laughing stock.
Certainly seems to have the skills to be an immediate contributor.
Lets just see how he goes before it gets labelled a good decision though.

A quick comment on the Pickett style selection

IMO anyone who has already been through the process of at least one draft and is say at least 27 years old - they should be able to choose where they go - especially if they are going on a rookie list

Now whilst Pickett is excited to just be on a list and the likelihood is the Tigers are the only suitor - in general a bloke at 27 who might be married and have kids - it's a huge obligation to uproot and move interstate on a rookie's wages.

Surely there becomes an age where a player simply becomes a free agent full stop. It's akin to the delisted free agent scenario IMO.

BTW - this isn't to do with WC and Pickett - we wouldn't even have a spot for him. Just a more general comment about the lottery of the draft. It dramatically impacts on someone's life far more if they are older.

IMO anyone who has already been through the process of at least one draft and is say at least 27 years old - they should be able to choose where they go - especially if they are going on a rookie list

Now whilst Pickett is excited to just be on a list and the likelihood is the Tigers are the only suitor - in general a bloke at 27 who might be married and have kids - it's a huge obligation to uproot and move interstate on a rookie's wages.

Surely there becomes an age where a player simply becomes a free agent full stop. It's akin to the delisted free agent scenario IMO.

BTW - this isn't to do with WC and Pickett - we wouldn't even have a spot for him. Just a more general comment about the lottery of the draft. It dramatically impacts on someone's life far more if they are older.
Richmond pay his relocation costs too. How much was he on at South Freo? He has also got a chance to become an AFL player if things fall his way and that would mean a dramatic increase in wage. It has also been his dream and fulfilling it would be worth the price on its own......

Richmond pay his relocation costs too. How much was he on at South Freo? He has also got a chance to become an AFL player if things fall his way and that would mean a dramatic increase in wage. It has also been his dream and fulfilling it would be worth the price on its own......

I probably shouldn't have included Pickett - because individually he isn't as relevant

However - what should have been possible is Pickett should have been allowed to go to Richmond without being subjected to the draft. Same deal should happen in the main draft as well.

I reckon once you are 27+ and been available to everyone - you should have some choice about your place of work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When your rookie wage is $70k for the year or in this instance atleast $50k for 5months plus $20k payout if delisted it’s not a bad gig.

There would be plenty of people on here who live on less than that over the course of 12months with 4 kids.

If he managed to slip in for say 4 games this year he would walk away with $62k and quite possibly a contract for $100k the following year.

Stupid not to have a crack I reckon!

or piss him off to Dustys house

I don't remember any Cats fans getting upset when they basically got priority access to Kreuger through a one off concession given to Carlton only one month before the national draft.

At least this time around all clubs were given the opportunity to take a player.
Yeah but the integrity of the game wasn't impacted by that because you know every club had the chance to take Kreuger the year before or approach Carlton to make a deal to get him. Knowing Richmond they probably went out and broke Picketts finger themselves last week to ensure nobody else would pick him and they could steal him for nothing.

Why the angst over Pickett?
It's not like he has suddenly decided to perform this year.
Anyone could have taken him at last years draft right?
What has changed that he is now apparently so coveted.
Well apparently he is close mates with some bloke called Tim Kelly and if the Cats could have drafted Pickett it might ensure that Kelly remained in Geelong.

Just can’t agree with this. Where do you draw the line? 27yo?
One of the things with playing professional sport is having to relocate at times. Anyone who puts their name up for the mid season draft is fair game. Players don’t have to apply for the draft if they are worried about who picks them.

Just can’t agree with this. Where do you draw the line? 27yo?
One of the things with playing professional sport is having to relocate at times. Anyone who puts their name up for the mid season draft is fair game. Players don’t have to apply for the draft if they are worried about who picks them.

Professional sport maybe... professional wages they aren’t paid. No other profession mandates where you live.

And we already set arbitrary ages and timeframes

18 for drafting - 8 years for RFAs etc etc

The draft and salary cap are about equalisation - undrafted 27 year olds aren’t going to rip that apart

When your rookie wage is $70k for the year or in this instance atleast $50k for 5months plus $20k payout if delisted it’s not a bad gig.

There would be plenty of people on here who live on less than that over the course of 12months with 4 kids.

If he managed to slip in for say 4 games this year he would walk away with $62k and quite possibly a contract for $100k the following year.

Stupid not to have a crack I reckon!

Of course he’s going to have a crack - but uprooting a family - foregoing careers and familial support for a median wage at best

Some will do it regardless - but give them the choice

We are talking about men and families here - not boys

Professional sport maybe... professional wages they aren’t paid. No other profession mandates where you live.

And we already set arbitrary ages and timeframes

18 for drafting - 8 years for RFAs etc etc

The draft and salary cap are about equalisation - undrafted 27 year olds aren’t going to rip that apart
They’ll receive a minimum $70k for 4 months work. It’s not bad for a crack at the big time.
Are you suggesting a state league player who has played 8 years, who has nominated for a draft but never being drafted is fair game and a free agent? I don’t agree. In any event I can’t imagine there’f be many examples of this.

Of course he’s going to have a crack - but uprooting a family - foregoing careers and familial support for a median wage at best

Some will do it regardless - but give them the choice

We are talking about men and families here - not boys
It isnt "median wages at best". It's actually the opposite, if he performs well he has the opportunity to earn double, triple etc. in the very near future - look at what Tim Kelly has done for himself, his next contract is going to by huge.

I don't understand this whole "obligation" to uproot your family and relocate either, these players are voluntarily nominating for the draft! This isn't mandatory enlistment for crying out loud.

I'm sure Marlion Pickett is doing backflips at this opportunity considering where he's come from and ditto any other aspiring footballer.

Pickett is guaranteed to earn $70k if he is nor required at the end of the year but if he impresses and is given a rookie spot on the list next year he will earn
$75k as a rookie and another $3800 per game

$75,000
$38,000 (if he plays 10 games in 2020)

He could earn $113,000 in 2020 by playing just 10 games and if he is then offered a contract it will be atleast $250 x 3
So he has the opportunity to make $860k over the next 4 years

Thats not too shabby for a bloke thats 27 and probably playing for $1500 a game in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back