Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It was after a loss. Hence the slamming of the comment. But now it’s starting to add up and be damning. Look around the league and can’t see any stress fractures for one team but 5 over two teams? Hmm.

This isn’t the thread or board for it, and I’ve said my piece so I’ll leave it after this, but it wasn’t the first time he’d made the comment. I see why it would look bad after a loss, but he’d been bringing it up since the pre-season, said it several times before we’d played any games there, so I don’t see why him saying it after a Round 5 game was the end of the world.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece. * all injuries. * Optus Stadium.

Willie Rioli as well if I'm not mistaken, right?

There was some WA government bloke bangin on about it "being within AFL thresholds so take it up with them".

I worry for Jesse...

This isn’t the thread or board for it, and I’ve said my piece so I’ll leave it after this, but it wasn’t the first time he’d made the comment. I see why it would look bad after a loss, but he’d been bringing it up since the pre-season, said it several times before we’d played any games there, so I don’t see why him saying it after a Round 5 game was the end of the world.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece. **** all injuries. **** Optus Stadium.
It was more the fact the public couldn’t believe it about a brand new stadium. Simpson was out of line etc such was the rhetoric. Longmire was the opposition coach, so of course no one cares about him. Simpson was alone in his statement, media didn’t give him anything positive. Ross has been very passive about this, if silence more then anything. Feel like he should have a statement or press the issue on the surface then now two coaches gets the ball rolling. Freo train on the surface too.
Thought last year Tabs, a super fit guy getting a stress fracture was bizarre enough. Now back to back on coincidentally the first two years at the ground. He’s been running around WAFL grounds mostly, and hasn’t had a problem throughout 2016/2017. But the first month at Optus stadium he runs into issues.

The Optus turf was kept a little harder for the soccer GF combined with bugger all rain until Friday just gone. The club are steering away from this but it is an issue.

Sounds strange to me. From some people I talked to associated with Glory and A-League, they said the ground was too hard for their liking too. Being a one off there wasn't much said about it, but the hardness was noted.

That said, I think it has to be about sports science/conditioning staff etc. first and foremost. End of the day, they can only control what they can control. The ground is what it is and any fixes are going to take time - we have to adjust if it is an issue. Glad Bell mentioned that they will look at that side of things.

I refuse to believe we're done, this is our chance to truly prove we can contest through tough times, Darcy wants to prove he's the man for the future? Step the * up now you've got the chance. Logue wants to show he can be an asset to our defence? Now's his time to show it. Good teams can cover their injuries and Logue and Darcy are plenty capable of doing it for us. S.Hill and Bennell to come back in as well should boost us quite a bit, plus bringing in Sandilands would probably be wise now once he's fit. This ain't it for us, I still have faith we can make finals. The ball is truly in the player's court now to show the fans they can do it.

Willie Rioli as well if I'm not mistaken, right?

There was some WA government bloke bangin on about it "being within AFL thresholds so take it up with them".

I worry for Jesse...

Just posted that the ground condition can be overstated as the problem - but, still, they're not going to pull that BS out are they?

This is the same AFL that called the sand pit that was Etihad, the grass jigsaw puzzle that was Stadium Australia, and the mud-wrestling ring that was SCG "fit for professional football". The AFL's track record in this area is makes their MRP look like a model of consistency.

I refuse to believe we're done, this is our chance to truly prove we can contest through tough times, Darcy wants to prove he's the man for the future? Step the **** up now you've got the chance. Logue wants to show he can be an asset to our defence? Now's his time to show it. Good teams can cover their injuries and Logue and Darcy are plenty capable of doing it for us. S.Hill and Bennell to come back in as well should boost us quite a bit, plus bringing in Sandilands would probably be wise now once he's fit. This ain't it for us, I still have faith we can make finals. The ball is truly in the player's court now to show the fans they can do it.

West Coast lost 3 tall defenders and were able to turn it into a positive. I agree, it’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the season either.

People keep blaming the Optus surface like a guilty post-confession Bundy trial.

Our injury list has been horrific since 2010. Every single year.
Were they foot/leg/stress related though? Genuinely curious.. I mean there HAS to be something about it. Senior coaches would never go out on a branch like that if it wasn't a proven issue. In this media environmemt they have to be right or they will be roasted.

We've seen what Lyon can do with a team that hasn't lost 3 of its 4 in form key position players. The only one left still standing and still playing well is Hamling. Undoubtedly things will be much harder from here on out and expectations may need to be re-evaluated. Richmond are battling hard and struggling, and we've now reached similar circumstances.

Yes Richmond have had a tough year with injuries, but Freo now have a similar number of injuries to our B22 as Richmond.
(ie. Richmond: Rance, Riewoldt, Nankervis, Lambert, Ellis, Astbury, Short & Freo: A.Pearce, Sandilands, Taberner, Lobb, S.Hill)

The difference is, Richmond are not a team in rebuild. They have depth and are still playing 10 to 13 players each and every week who have played 50+ games for Richmond ... meanwhile Freo have 5 to 7 players (the lowest average in the AFL). The other big difference is the AFL media will continually make excuses and offer sympathy to Richmond, while we will hear crickets regarding Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast lost 3 tall defenders and were able to turn it into a positive. I agree, it’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the season either.
That's dependence on Ross changing the gameplan/structure to enable us to play small and over the top like West Coast. Can happen, but how innovative and unstubborn does Ross want to get? We play the same effort, high bombing to forward line game, we ll get thrashed most games now

I remember having a conversation with an umpire early this year regarding the new rules and he reckoned this would happen due to the new rule changes. Reckoned it would put way more stress on key position players. Looks like he may be correct.

Then your an idiot.

Before calling someone an idiot, you might want to learn how to spell.

There has been one constant over the years when it comes to our shocking injury toll ... the medical staff. The ground might not be helping, but it is still up to the medical staff to manage the players accordingly.

Ughhh...

Well, we'll get a better draft pick :'(

We'll stay competitive if we don't lose any more keys but we are going to have problems with scoring efficiency and keeping the oppos down.

Not to sound too defeatist but there's still another half of the year to go so sadly no chance of this happening :'(

Right now I'm thinking about the people who wanted Sandi to retire mid-season, thank * the big fella is on his way back in the not-too-distant future.

i blame ross lyon for this injury all that rucking lobb had to do was unnecessary should have just backed in darcy

Though I agree in principle, I think his load was higher than ideal, we don't know how they're related if at all. Even with Darcy, Lobb would still have been playing, just elsewhere on the ground ... and for those paying attention, if he takes Tabbs spot for example with Darcy playing more ruck, that's a position that has near highest running meters on ground.

BTW, you're suggesting the same Darcy who has been battling injury himself - what if Darcy had have broken down instead or as well because he was being played underdone?

I know we're angry, and fair enough those who have some influence should be under the microsocpe, but we need to keep it real too.

I am so angry / sad about this - seriously have we had a season since 2011 where we haven't had two or more of our best players go down for long stretched of the season... Lobb has been HUGE this year. Lobb and Pearce gone in one week. Tabs a couple of weeks before that... We need Logue and Hamling to last the season now and can't afford another injury to a tall for the remainder of the season. Chance of that are slim.

We bloody well need Sandi now - Sean hasn't shown he can string more than four games together - we need Sandi to come back and play a block of games. Clearly he is a fair way off yet... so PISSED!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back