Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Man I wish I had an employer that catered for me the way the AFC is for Bryce.

He's a grown assed man who can't even handle playing football 1 day a week?

Just sack him, tear up his contract, pay it out so he can clear his debts and move on.

He truly embodies the Carlton loser spirit.

Pyke today:

“It could take Bryce 3-4 weeks to get back, he’s got some stuff to sort out/work on” then he chucked in “about his footy”

If it’s footy related it could be corrected in a week.

This is Don trying to give Gibbs some space without the constant “will he play this week”, not sure it will work though.

He must be in a very bad place.

Is this from the Sunday Footy Show? Anywhere we can watch that back?

Man I wish I had an employer that catered for me the way the AFC is for Bryce.

He's a grown assed man who can't even handle playing football 1 day a week?

Just sack him, tear up his contract, pay it out so he can clear his debts and move on.

He truly embodies the Carlton loser spirit.

Come on, he’s training, putting his hand up for selection, playing ok, getting dropped, playing fine in the 2s, rinsing and repeating. I can’t see how he’s being catered for in any way whatsoever. Unless you think that any outside footy issue that he might have be divulged to the public without his consent. Otherwise, from my perspective he’s being treated quite normally and has probably been a little unlucky at selection given that Mackay only just missed his first game.

Come on, he’s training, putting his hand up for selection, playing ok, getting dropped, playing fine in the 2s, rinsing and repeating. I can’t see how he’s being catered for in any way whatsoever. Unless you think that any outside footy issue that he might have be divulged to the public without his consent. Otherwise, from my perspective he’s being treated quite normally and has probably been a little unlucky at selection given that Mackay only just missed his first game.

Given I'm talking about clearing his debts, my post was clearly made on the assumption the gambling debt story is true.

Honestly it has to be be true because if the reasons the coaches are giving for dropping him, lack of defensive effort, is true it means they never even watched him play at Carlton before trading him in.

Always laugh at the, “gotta see how they develop” view. The winner/loser is determined on the day. Just because one club selects Sloane at 44 and the other Watts with 1 doesn’t mean that you won a straight trade giving 1 to get 44. The exception that we’ve just seen is where a club trades live into the draft to get a specific player. Carlton weren’t trading for 19, they were trading for Stocker. Even then, that only relates to them as Stocker may not have appeared for a few spots yet on our order.

It’s also clear that no other clubs rated Stocker nearly as high as Carlton claims to have

Geez it would be good to have jack higgins and ed richards running around for us right about now.

Instead we have a 30+ year old who, as the club itself now fully admits, is not best 22 and will be retiring in the next coupla years.. what a waste of two firsts.

Richards and higgins will still, more likely than not, be running around in ten years from now... let that sink in.

Massive * up from our club... massive

Given I'm talking about clearing his debts, my post was clearly made on the assumption the gambling debt story is true.

Honestly it has to be be true because if the reasons the coaches are giving for dropping him, lack of defensive effort, is true it means they never even watched him play at Carlton before trading him in.

We can’t clear debts for players without screwing our cap, we won’t do this. What we might do is set a player up with a group that can clear debts whilst legally controlling that player’s income to ensure they are repaid.

There were numerous people who didn’t seem to understand the kind of cruiser that Gibbs has pretty much always been. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was completely ignored or they thought that he’d be different with us because we wouldn’t accept it. Still, there’s still doubts on his total fitness after a limited preseason and we know our coaches are inclined to play not ready senior players, Seed and Douglas very recent examples.

It’s also clear that no other clubs rated Stocker nearly as high as Carlton claims to have

It’s hard to know where every other club rated him, but certainly I doubt highly that he was 6 on any other list. The only certainty is that he wasn’t the best available player on anybody bar Carlton’s list when they selected in the first round.

Geez it would be good to have jack higgins and ed richards running around for us right about now.

Instead we have a 30+ year old who, as the club itself now fully admits, is not best 22 and will be retiring in the next coupla years.. what a waste of two firsts.

Richards and higgins will still, more likely than not, be running around in ten years from now... let that sink in.

Massive **** up from our club... massive
It was a gamble based on having another crack in 18. But Burton ****ed that up. If it paid off we wouldn’t be too concerned about not having Higgins and Richards.

Trying to remember where i saw it, think it was a news grab.

Because AFL is almost 24/7 I too struggle remember where and when I heard something mentioned, when and where.

There is an incredible amount of footy shows out there at the moment its mind boggling.

To think about 10-15 years ago there was probably just a handful of AFL footy shows.

It was a gamble based on having another crack in 18. But Burton ****** that up. If it paid off we wouldn’t be too concerned about not having Higgins and Richards.
Whilst I understand that..

Our midfield was more than good enough to get us to the GF at the end of 2017.. Just that the entire team shat the bed during said GF.. having gibbs out there for us in the 2017 GF would’ve made no difference whatsoever.

And.. Gibbs was never going to be some sort of guarantee that we’d go one step further in 2018.. and as it turned out, and like you say, Burton and Hass totally ****ed 2018 anyway!...

Still... We paid far too much for gibbs.. we shouldve looked at other options when it became clear, which was pretty early on, that SOS was gonna play hardball.

All good in hindsight i suppose.

I'm glad the club had a go at it.

It got us a player who should have always been ours, and it got us another asset in the 2018 draft.

I would rather we tried, than we do the Adelaide thing of always finding a reason to never take a risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because AFL is almost 24/7 I too struggle remember where and when I heard something mentioned, when and where.

There is an incredible amount of footy shows out there at the moment its mind boggling.

To think about 10-15 years ago there was probably just a handful of AFL footy shows.
I really notice it when we go down to South Aussie. All media forms.

Imagine it would be very saturated in Melbourne as well

I really notice it when we go down to South Aussie. All media forms.

Imagine it would be very saturated in Melbourne as well

When I have to work in Sydney or Canberra, I do notice the complete lack of AFL coverage.

You could record a Friday night game go out all weekend and not know the score or results of other games.

Although extremely biased, AFL is a superior sport to view than Rugby and Soccer. Its unfortunate we have other codes that have decent market place here in Australia.

How awesome would it be if the AFL was truly global and planned professionally at the same standard here, throughout the world.

You're right, it seems that way.

But i recall everyone getting stuck into Adelaide for 'blowing' a first round pick on Doedee (who the * is Doedee??) and that's worked out to be a pretty inspired pick.

Too early to tell with Stocker, SOS might have stuffed up with his rankings, or maybe not.

Did we lose the trade given that we're not currently playing him, and if he doesn't play again for the club? Yes.

Was it as bad a trade as some are making it out to be (i.e. two first round draft picks)? No.

However, there's still a few more rounds in the season and next year for him to come good. It wouldn't even be an issue if we were playing him and he was in some decent form. But unfortunately, we're not.

No club gets every trade right.

Everyone likes to judge on hindsight but you also have to look at the situation and trade at the time it was done.

Can see why Reid made the trade for a few reasons.
  • Adelaide just made a GF so are in their premiership window - getting in a star player logically will help the club take the next step
  • It hasn't been easy to attract mature guns to the club...and here you had one requesting a trade to you, finally
  • I recall Adelaide had a lot of draft picks that year...more than you needed due in part to getting a good haul from the Lever trade and Cameron, which means they are less important to you at the time
  • You also had a number of high draft picks still developing at that time, further diminishing the value of needing so many draft picks...like Gallucci & Milera
  • The club wanted to have a better draft haul for all the SA talent in the 2018 draft
So overall even if Gibbs doesn't work out in the end, the logic AT THE TIME was sound.

Last edited:
I'm glad the club had a go at it.

It got us a player who should have always been ours, and it got us another asset in the 2018 draft.

I would rather we tried, than we do the Adelaide thing of always finding a reason to never take a risk.

We had just come off a GF appearance but had plenty of draft collateral due to losing a couple of players. We could afford to have a go based on going 1 better and still draft for the future. It hasn’t paid dividends yet, but it was worth having a crack.

After Checking news stories online about Gibbs Gambling addiction all I have found are rumours on social media.
Hardly anything more solid than a piece in the Sun Herald from 4 years ago saying there was a punting syndicate at Carlton that the coaches were warned by the club to pull out of. No names were mentioned but a photo of Gibbs and another player at training accompanied the story.
A story about bikies attending training was supposedly about another player. Not sure a group of bikies would intimidate a squad of elite athletes involved in a contact sport. Seems unlikely.

Not sure why a gambling addiction would affect a players form. It didn’t seem to hurt Simon Goodwin. On the field anyway.
I’m not saying it isn’t true just that it seems to be nothing more than rumour with only his poor form as evidence.

After Checking news stories online about Gibbs Gambling addiction all I have found are rumours on social media.
Hardly anything more solid than a piece in the Sun Herald from 4 years ago saying there was a punting syndicate at Carlton that the coaches were warned by the club to pull out of. No names were mentioned but a photo of Gibbs and another player at training accompanied the story.
A story about bikies attending training was supposedly about another player. Not sure a group of bikies would intimidate a squad of elite athletes involved in a contact sport. Seems unlikely.

Not sure why a gambling addiction would affect a players form. It didn’t seem to hurt Simon Goodwin. On the field anyway.
I’m not saying it isn’t true just that it seems to be nothing more than rumour with only his poor form as evidence.
It’s a rumour that is everywhere, usually where there is smoke there is fire.

As for how this might effect him, if the rumours are true on the amounts he has lost, the stress and pressure on his personal life would be immense. Unless you’ve been through it none of us can judge.

It’s a rumour that is everywhere, usually where there is smoke there is fire.

As for how this might effect him, if the rumours are true on the amounts he has lost, the stress and pressure on his personal life would be immense. Unless you’ve been through it none of us can judge.
Gibbs has always struck me as very professional in his dealings with his career and private life. We also know social media feeds on itself. So I’m not convinced but that is only my uneducated opinion.

Whilst I understand that..

Our midfield was more than good enough to get us to the GF at the end of 2017.. Just that the entire team shat the bed during said GF.. having gibbs out there for us in the 2017 GF would’ve made no difference whatsoever.

And.. Gibbs was never going to be some sort of guarantee that we’d go one step further in 2018.. and as it turned out, and like you say, Burton and Hass totally ****** 2018 anyway!...

Still... We paid far too much for gibbs.. we shouldve looked at other options when it became clear, which was pretty early on, that SOS was gonna play hardball.

All good in hindsight i suppose.

I agree, Gibbs wouldn't have made a scrap of difference.

Now if Danger didn't leave at the end of 2015, then I believe that either 16 or 17 could have potentially turned out different, but having Gibbs in 2017 wouldn't have changed anything.

No club gets every trade right.

Everyone likes to judge on hindsight but you also have to look at the situation and trade at the time it was done.

Can see why Reid made the trade for a few reasons.
  • Adelaide just made a GF so are in their premiership window - getting in a star player logically will help the club take the next step
  • It hasn't been easy to attract mature guns to the club...and here you had one requesting a trade to you, finally
  • I recall Adelaide had a lot of draft picks that year...more than you needed due in part to getting a good haul from the Lever trade and Cameron, which means they are less important to you at the time
  • You also had a number of high draft picks still developing at that time, further diminishing the value of needing so many draft picks...like Gallucci & Milera
  • The club wanted to have a better draft haul for all the SA talent in the 2018 draft
So overall even if Gibbs doesn't work out in the end, the logic AT THE TIME was sound.

What star player did we get?

Because Gibbs isn't a star of the competition in any sense of the word. If a player hasn't made the AA list in over 10 years of their career and has no other accolades worth mentioning... how do you justify the title of star?

when you use the words star/gun so loosely they lose all meaning.

The BEST you can say about Gibbs is that he was a solid player in a terrible team.

You want to see how a star in a terrible team looks? Look at Patrick Cripps.
-6 years younger
-already has an all Australian
-has already won more carlton B&F (not that those are worth much).
-has already finished 4th in the Brownlow medal count, Gibbs has never even cracked top 10 iirc.

Cripps is a star, Gibbs is not.

Cripps is worth 2x first rounders, Gibbs is not.

Last edited:
So I decided to crunch some numbers on good old Bryce, particularly in relation to people lauding his performance last year and using the B&F to back up their position

Can I point out he only finished 9 points above Hugh Greenwood who cost us nothing vs 2 first round draft picks.

He was 13 votes behind Jenkins who cost us pick 31.

He was 73 votes behind Rory Laird who cost us pick 5 in the rookie draft.

He was only 10 votes above Tom Doedee who only cost us pick 17 and had only played 20 games of AFL football compared to Gibbs playing over 250. To Repeat, Doedee in his first ever year of playing at AFL level only got 10 less votes than Bryce 'The premiership difference' Gibbs. But it gets worse for old Gibbs, Because he played 2 more games than Doedee so if you prorata the performance Gibbs actually ended up with 3 votes LESS than Doedee.

The amount we paid for him was utterly disproportionate to the output we got from him, even last year in what was arguably one of his best ever years of football in his career that is rapidly coming to an end.

In the history of Crows trade mistakes they rank as follows:
1)Wayne Carey
2)Bryce Gibbs
3)Richard Tambling

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back