Preview Rnd 13 - Carlton v Bulldogs Sat 15th June 7.25PM @ Etihad - Team Post #426

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murph was my original man crush, but even I winced when I saw JSOS was dropped for him. I figured it would be Setterfield, or no change.

Some of the comments about Murph here are disgusting though. Sure, he's not the player he was, but he's still easily amongst our best. He doesn't need to be in and under and putting his body on the line anymore, the young guys can and need to learn how to do it themselves.

And quite frankly, given the fact that we've been rock bottom and hadn't looked like winning a game for a while, I don't blame him for protecting himself.

I reckon he's sacrificed his body enough for our enjoyment.

As far as tall forwards go, Charlie/McKay/McGovern offer far more offensively currently and are bigger threats.

Look it's a tough call i agree, but for me someone had to go out for Murphy and JSOS is the unlucky one.

Also you surely can't be calling adding Murphy into the team as 'replacing with more potato'...really? Murphy when up and going is one of our better players and offers gut running, link up play through the midfield, good skills and goals. In this analogy JSOS would be the potatoes (a honest goer) and Murphy would be the seasoning (skills, polish).

That's my point, we already have multiple marking targets in our forward line, and JSOS adds defensive pressure and more presence at stoppages.

And the seasoning vs potato analogy isn't aboit ability, it's about balance. JSOS offers something different to help balance the side, Murphy is another midfield rotation. I worry a bit that we're taking a necessary component of the forward line out to squeeze in another link-up midfielder to add to Walsh, Ed, Cunners, Fisher, SPS, Daisy, Setters, Gibbons and O'Brien.

If Murph is back to his best, he needs to play. Just wish we'd gone like for like with a mid, rather than dropping a player who offers more of a point of difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JSOS out for Murph?

Sack Teague

I wouldn’t have dropped JSOS, who’s hard at it, for Murph ... particularly when our younger team is often getting beaten up eg against North.

No disrespect to Murph who, at his best was great, but he’s looked contact shy.

JSOS is IMO underrated.

Hopefully Murph will play a lot of midfield and hit the forwards lace out on multiple occasions and justify the selection decision.

Jack's primary strengths are his brains and his contested ball work. He is actually playing like a rough /raw developing slowish mid. His drawback(s) as a forward are his poor marking and poor set shot kicking - so being a 'third tall' isn't working for him or the team. If he improves his set shot kicking, marking and continues to build his size - I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a genuine on baller who can rotate forward.

I wouldn't drop him - because he has shown that his footy brain and willingness to compete puts him in positions to impact the game - that three effort goal looked like kids football -but it also signalled he for one wasn't going to lay down and die - it was a very important moment. His one handed pick-up and perfect flick pass to Cripps was beautiful to watch - these two examples stand out in my mind as to why in my books he is worth persevering with. I'd consider putting him on a serious bulk up regime and get him set for an on ball role - because he is smart and loves a contest.

I can understand Murphy in - because (in theory) he adds run and provides another play maker option - in theory.

At least for probably the first time this year, the discussion has been that the player dropped as been a bit stiff, rather then the lynch mob coming out.
Good signs.
Jack will be okay...a run in the magoo's won't do him any harm, as it wouldn't with any of our younger players.
He does need a few good preseasons though with Jacky Russell to improve his strength and size, but he'll be part of our future. He's still only 21, but really still has the body of a teen.

signalled he for one wasn't going to lay down and die - it was a very important moment. His one handed pick-up and perfect flick pass to Cripps was beautiful to watch
this

Passion and desperation on one hand, he willed us into the game; deft, fluid, classy, football on the other. If only he could do it a few more times a game, or rack up 20 meaningless possessions kicking sideways at half back, because ya know....stats. Jack has a lot to work on. Marking and goal kicking to start with, but what he brings is intangible

Daisy had little impact last week and is at the end of his career. Jacks stats not brilliant but high impact. Play the FUTURE, both have same desperation and bleed blue. One is 32, no brainer for me.

No, Daisy had one of his lesser games for the year but was still good and better than jack.

A good trick to this is think what the opposition would prefer, and do the opposite. I think the dogs would much rather we don’t play daisy or murph and go with jsos.

Also any opposition supporters would think many posters here have lost it, JSOS is a fringe battler for us, he could get better but he hasn’t shown he will be as yet.

It’s not our list manager who gives JSOS preferential treatment, it’s half our supporters.

No, Daisy had one of his lesser games for the year but was still good and better than jack.

A good trick to this is think what the opposition would prefer, and do the opposite. I think the dogs would much rather we don’t play daisy or murph and go with jsos.

Also any opposition supporters would think many posters here have lost it, JSOS is a fringe battler for us, he could get better but he hasn’t shown he will be as yet.

It’s not our list manager who gives JSOS preferential treatment, it’s half our supporters.
Preferential treatment????? You cant be serious. His dad abstains from all things re. his sons . Always has. To Jacks detriment without doubt IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back