Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

2018: Raptors lose to Celtics in Semis, who go on to lose the ECF. Raptors win the next season
2019: Celtics lose to the Bucks in Semis, who go on to lose the ECF. Celtics win the next season?

We can only believe, in Jayson Tatum/Jaylen Brown we trust ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just got the UEFA Champions League Final Programme delivered and I am actually in love. It is the most beautifully designed magazine I have ever seen, every little detail has been thought of right down to the feel of the matte paper. It is set out the same as the Grand Final Record yet every page is restrained yet engrossing. I feel like I am going way over the top, but I am actually blown away by how good it looks. If you are a Liverpool fan it is an absolute must.

Thinking of doing my VCE 3/4 English oral presentation on the issue of whether the Grand Final should be hosted interstate or not. Would absolutely appreciate it if anyone could list me a couple of dot point arguments as to why they've come to their point of view on the matter? (please no s**t flinging)

Thinking of doing my VCE 3/4 English oral presentation on the issue of whether the Grand Final should be hosted interstate or not. Would absolutely appreciate it if anyone could list me a couple of dot point arguments as to why they've come to their point of view on the matter? (please no **** flinging)

PROS
  • It's a national spectacle that can bring tourism dollars around the country
  • Other states want to host it
  • Can't think of too many sports globally that use a venue for the final for every competition unless it's a neutral ground (see: Wembley)
  • In theory gets rid of a home team advantage, especially when the travelling team is often higher placed
CONS
  • No one else has a 100,000 seat stadium
  • Going against tradition
  • MCG, and Melbourne for that matter, is the home of Australian sport

Thanks so far for that guys, got a good list of pros/cons to build off.
I still haven't decided which side of the issue I will argue for, but I know I'll need some sort of rebuttal so it's great to hear the for/against.

Thanks so far for that guys, got a good list of pros/cons to build off.
I still haven't decided which side of the issue I will argue for, but I know I'll need some sort of rebuttal so it's great to hear the for/against.

From my experience, always argue for the side people don't agree with. Every time I had to do a speech or argumentative essay in English, I'd pick the most ridiculous hardline stance in the opposite direction of everyone else, not because I necessarily agreed with it, but because it scores marks.

Thinking of doing my VCE 3/4 English oral presentation on the issue of whether the Grand Final should be hosted interstate or not. Would absolutely appreciate it if anyone could list me a couple of dot point arguments as to why they've come to their point of view on the matter? (please no **** flinging)
Some other ones: equity (for team and spectators/supporters) - including financial implications, truly national perspective, variety

I’ll go into more detail than a few dot points, use as much or as little of this as you wish.

Ultimately, keeping the GF at the MCG comes down to one thing - money.

Everybody likes to use the capacity argument, but its a furphy. Consider this:

MCC members - 26,000
AFL members - 23,000
Medallion Club members - 5,000

Take 50,000 of those out and the “rest” - which includes the much derided corporate tickets (up to 30,000), a reduction of which could allow for more genuine fans to attend - would easily fit into Optus Stadium or Adelaide Oval.

For the life of me, I just don’t see any reason why MCC members should have some God-given right to attend an AFL Grand Final. With AFL members, I’ll concede that members with club support of the competing teams seem to get first crack, but they could just as easily be included in the ballot with the regular club members. Medallion club is not really a membership at all, its just another corporate hospitality package.

A non-Victorian GF could easily be accommodated if these expensive memberships weren’t guaranteed a ticket. But thats exactly why it will never happen, because these memberships are a huge money spinner for the AFL, and people would be far less likely to take up these memberships without the guaranteed GF ticket. Dollars always outweigh integrity at the AFL, and they make no apologies for it.

The only other legitimate concern could maybe be logistics, ie organising a GF on a weeks notice. I’d argue that could be overcome with relative ease if you really wanted to. You just have a fully fleshed out plan for every ground, which can be reused each year - it doesn’t have to be started from scratch each season. By finals time - and certainly the Sunday after the semi finals - you’d have the potential venues narrowed right down to start making more concrete plans. Lets be honest, this is much the same procedure as they would already have in place for the first three weeks of the finals.

Oh and finally, don’t forget #VICBIAS :cool:

I guess that's one way to get out of doing your school work, ask Bigfooty to do it for you.
It's how I got you out of doing Uni work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back