Autopsy Rd 17 Surging Blues beat Swans on their own turf

Who played well against the Swans in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm really liking about Kennedy's form is that all six players that were drafted in 2015 in Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, Silvagni and Kennedy have matured and are holding their own at AFL level. That's over a quarter of a team capable of playing seniors from one draft.
Next year it'll be the 2016 guys (SPS, Fisher, Setterfield etc) doing the same. Rebuilds take time but this one is going well.
I noticed yesterday. For the first time Fish has a chest and shoulders. It was really evident from behind.
Russell and his team and the coaches are transforming our players into lean mean fighting machines.

Yeah, I was at the game and it wasn't just his tackling that impressed me, it was his overall hardness which is very different from what we were seeing from Murph earlier in the year. I wonder what's changed?
He was tackling like a madman. When he was involved in the tackle on Jones, in the second I think, Murph was holding a lock on one of his arms and this numpty Swans supporter started yelling ' ******* chicken wing you b-----d, I hope you get smashed ya little p---k' Then the big mouth looks around and notices for the first time that he is seated in the only part of the stands where Swans supporters were heavily outnumbered by Blues fans. He didn't say much after that. 😡

You mean like other coaches such as Thompson, Hardwick, Buckley where their clubs backed them, while many were calling for heads to roll?

When will people understand that coaches play such a minimal role, when talent players mature and a team rises base on natural ability
Think its documented in particular of Hardwick and Buckley that they delegated responsibility to their assistant coaches much more than what has seemed to be or possibly was with Bolton and his assistants .
So if you have a coach that is not prepared to listen to ideas and instead stick to plans that were clearly not working on game day then coaches can indeed have a big impact for the worse .
Still only a small sample but the proof of the impact of a coach is seemingly playing out right before our eyes...

Think its documented in particular of Hardwick and Buckley that they delegated responsibility to their assistant coaches much more than what has seemed to be or possibly was with Bolton and his assistants .
So if you have a coach that is not prepared to listen to ideas and instead stick to plans that were clearly not working on game day then coaches can indeed have a big impact for the worse .
Still only a small sample but the proof of the impact of a coach is seemingly playing out right before our eyes...

And after their reviews, they made alterations, but in the first 4 years they weren't performing, supposedly

Then, as their groups matured, built cohesion, results were more consistent

Is Teague a better coach than Fagan, Lyons and Longmire, given we beat those sides, or is it perhaps this group is starting to click?

I love the attack style under Teague, but he is coaching for the now, without fear of the state of his position

Bolton was coaching for the future and the losses, short term was to his detriment, but not the groups detriment long term

I do like Kennedy up forward. Seems to be a good kick for goal. That's what we need in the forward half. Strong bodied. What I like about our forwards at the moment is they are getting hit up at times with some great passes but they are holding the ball in at stoppages in the forward half. Jack started the trend and Kennedy is more than cut out for that role. Some games its hard enough getting it down there. A feature of our games earlier in the year was when we did venture forward it came out pretty quickly and sometimes coast to coast for our opponents. We still have some work to do on that. Happened on occasion against Sydney yesterday.
Silvagni and Kennedy = Hamill and Hickmott?

Who do you musically compare Walsh to, B&B?
Off the top of my head, Parliament, Pavement, Paul Weller, Polvo, Prince, Pink Floyd, PJ Harvey, Primal Scream, Psychedelic Furs.... ain’t even finished with the letter P for Princes Park!👍

I wouldn't go that far BUT I do believe that coaches these days way "over coach". Teach them the basics, have a game plan and some game day tactics and let them play. Back them in. I believe Fagan is like that and Shaw & Teague have done that since taking over.

IMO many coaches over complicate the game
This.
Footy is not chess where you can sit and think for minutes on end .

The actual game is all about intensity, execution and effort, where each small individual moment and split second can make a difference.

Players need to play with freedom, and within a team dynamic. They need to be positioned in a role which is clearly defined. Whether you're half forward or half back you know your basic game plan and not trying to remember a calculus formula.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep paddy dow really let himself down today in this regard.
I cop a kid having a quiet game playing up forward but he applied 0 defensive pressure, refused to chase and didnt lay a tackle. Looks like chris judd when he has the ball running towards goal. Looks like Brock Mclean when the oppo has it!
Disagree - saw him chasing hard a few times as they rebounded from our F50. Made a mental note to post about that but forgot until now.

And after their reviews, they made alterations, but in the first 4 years they weren't performing, supposedly

Is Teague a better coach than Fagan, Lyons and Longmire, given we beat those sides, or is it perhaps this group is starting to click?

I love the attack style under Teague, but he is coaching for the now, without fear of the state of his position

Bolton was coaching for the future and the losses, short term was to his detriment, but not the groups detriment long term
I don't think its as simple as Bolton coached for tomorrow and Teague for today.
Bolts was trying his hardest to get wins. It just wasn't happening and the players futures under that weight of expectation began to come under scrutiny and everyone forgot the reality of youth and injury.
It was getting too hot in the fire so Bolton got the chop because thats football.

I have no doubt that Teague was already in the frame as a cut above and it was a no lose opportunity to try him out.
Fair to say that no-one could have predicted whats happened since.

I'll give one.

5 holding the man free kicks to Sydney at stoppages. How many for Carlton you ask? 0. That soft one to Papley who slotted the goal is usually one that sets off a momentum change and we lose the game.

Cripps scragged at every stoppage and Rampe held McKay in nearly every marking contest they had.

So fu** them, we won anyway! 😏
Whoever is in charge of the Carlton Twitter account also thought it was a bit shit lol

Believe there was also a review done last year at our club so did we have a coach that was helping or hindering our progress as a team on game day .
Was our coaching under bolton encouraging team progress ?
Genuine talent individually will make incremental improvements under any coach as they mature as you say and I agree but as a team we were playing as individuals reliant on basically 2 players Cripps and Kruezer .
Totally different team now that doesn't seem to be reliant on individuals with a much more even spread of contributions and yes seems to be clicking rather coincidentally under a new coach .
Im still not sold on Teague as we still have 6 games to go and plenty to play out yet but the evidence is mounting that Bolton wasn't the man to take us forward .

True, but with Selwood, Ablett and Dangerfield all carrying niggles at the moment and playing with some duress and Hawkins also down recently (his back again??) giving some of these players an extended rest to really freshen up (also not risk losing them) might be on the cards.
Just not sure if Geelong would want to their players two weeks off, particularly if they win week 1.

I don't think its as simple as Bolton coached for tomorrow and Teague for today.
Bolts was trying his hardest to get wins. It just wasn't happening and the players futures under that weight of expectation began to come under scrutiny and everyone forgot the reality of youth and injury.
It was getting too hot in the fire so Bolton got the chop because thats football.

I have no doubt that Teague was already in the frame as a cut above and it was a no lose opportunity to try him out.
Fair to say that no-one could have predicted whats happened since.

Of course Bolton wanted wins, but do you think playing Ed forward and Murphy on a wing and playing the kids in guts he was looking for the short term?

I think Bolton took it to the extreme, but he was certainly looking longterm

Off the top of my head, Parliament, Pavement, Paul Weller, Polvo, Prince, Pink Floyd, PJ Harvey, Primal Scream, Psychedelic Furs.... ain’t even finished with the letter P for Princes Park!👍
Jesus, when you get going, your unstoppable. But I have thought of one! Saw 'em about a year ago and they're just like Walshy. Sublime.

Back