Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still confused why he's not getting pushed forward. Like there's an aversion to him just taking his tagger into the goalsquare.
Likewise! Considering Cunners has shown he can be handful there too. Maybe it’s because we don’t want to upset our functioning forward line?
Doesn’t make any sense though to not swing him there for 5 or 10 minutes a quarter when he is tagged out of the game. s**t, out season is done and dusted and what’s there to lose by allowing others some midfield time in his absence.

Still confused why he's not getting pushed forward. Like there's an aversion to him just taking his tagger into the goalsquare.

I can only assume that Shaw et al (and Ben) want to work through this for the long term. The “tag Ben Cunnington” plan has only come about in the last few weeks. If Ben is to consolidate his position as an elite midfielder, he has to be able to burn a tag. He is strong enough to do it, I’m sure. I’m guessing he just needs to tweak a few things. The Higgins factor looms large at the moment. Ziebell was quieter this week after a few strong outings. That didn’t help Ben’s situation, either.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can only assume that Shaw et al (and Ben) want to work through this for the long term. The “tag Ben Cunnington” plan has only come about in the last few weeks. If Ben is to consolidate his position as an elite midfielder, he has to be able to burn a tag. He is strong enough to do it, I’m sure. I’m guessing he just needs to tweak a few things. The Higgins factor looms large at the moment. Ziebell was quieter this week after a few strong outings. That didn’t help Ben’s situation, either.

Jed and Simpkin aren't quite capable of picking up the slack just yet. It's a case of building tanks for both and continued exposure to AFL centre bounces.

Next year Higgins back and if Simpkin can get consistency in his performance it changes everything.

The only thing I can come up with is the fact we use him quite often for kickins. When we go down the middle we often kick it to him because he's so strong in the air and 1v1. Which is funny because that's the reason he should be pushed forward too.

Last edited:

Has tagging Ben only come in the last few of weeks or is it just that it has worked twice in the last few weeks?

Has tagging Ben only come in the last few of weeks or is it just that it has worked twice in the last few weeks?
The tactic of setting up on his back is new. He just leads his man to the ball then as soon as he goes for it he gets set upon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way I'd explain this is two fold: 1) Our coaches think it will adversely affect our forward set up, as we generally want Brown in the square, and 2) we don't want to spend large periods of the game without Cunnington around the ball, where even with the tag he is still better than most to get his hands on it or to at least stop the opposition getting their hands on it.

While I agree with playing Ben forward when he's being tagged, it's kind of hard to do so in the middle of the play. Our footy relies on us having numbers at the stoppage, and if it were a set instance where Cunnington lined up at FF after an interchange then he'd just attract a normal defender rather than a midfielder. How does he drag his opponent to the square if it leaves us one short at the stoppage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back