Review Port v essendon review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With the exception of round 1, it staggers me that we can go this far into the season without anything resembling a sane forward structure and yet this week we we play arguably our best, most coherent forward structure out of the blue. And that includes Sutcliffe. Our schizophrenic form is a reflection of our selections this season.
It might be too simplistic, but the way I see it, is that having a poor selection - eg Sutcliffe over another fave, or Marshall dropped, etc etc (choose any combination), should make minimal to no difference to the team as a whole! Its just a symptom, poor understanding from our coach, along with poor coaching, game plan, forward structure, you name it, are the real issues! Yes it worked well with the ins yesterday, but some of our performances have been atrocious to watch with horrific skills woeful forward-50s, and even more woeful finishing!

BF keeps emphasizing the selections, because that is the most visible ... but the problem lies much deeper!

Champion data tables for the game. Plenty of green for Ports.

Only 3rd time this year our Xscore 112 was less than out Actual score 126. The China game and the last showdown.

What player are you watching

Another Dougal Howard? What do you think happened to Dougal Howard?
Dougal Howard ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in his debut year. His work load at the time was very intense and when players of his somatotype are subjected to such rigorous workloads when not physically mature, the stresses on the body are immense and they are liable to break down.

Ladhams is a classic ectomorph and needs time to grow. He looks like a really young version of Brendon Lade and he's got years ahead of him. It's just a thing of nature.

Yesterday's game was really enjoyable to watch and if you've got access to it and have some spare time, sit down and have a look at it again and just keep an eye out for Ladhams, Ryder and the Essendon ruckman. In general ruckwork, Ladhams may have just broken even with the Essendon fella, just. Ryder toyed with the second stringer. Ladhams certainly wasn't disgraced and was a good contributor to the team. He shows a lot of potential and I'm glad he's on our books and I reckon he'll sign on very soon.

Champion Data's player ranking algorithm gives Merrett and Snelling a higher rating than Houston and DBJ despite their Super coach rating giving the Port boys superior ratings. Houston's rating was his career best (as was Snelling's and Ladhams)

Dougal Howard ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in his debut year. His work load at the time was very intense and when players of his somatotype are subjected to such rigorous workloads when not physically mature, the stresses on the body are immense and they are liable to break down.
1. Ladhams is already a year advanced on Howard when he debuted (3rd season, not 2nd)
2. We don’t have Burgess cooking the list

As for the rest, Ladhams is ready for AFL and in his third game. He’s doing fine and needs to play against AFL rucks every week because he’s already above SANFL

Duursma has had a similar season statistically to Polec. I know I'd absolutely prefer Duursma character wise, work rate wise and age wise.

We have lost nothing in trading out Wingard and Polec. Honestly they could have a career best year at the and we would still be ahead with Burton, X, Rozee and Butters.

Caveat is it's only the first year.

Polec has been invisible at North for about a month, before that he was alright. Certainly nowhere near the performance for the money he's on.
Spot on! In fact the best performing of our departees has been the one we 'gave" away, Pittard ... He has really been solid for North this year.

Champion Data's player ranking algorithm gives Merrett and Snelling a higher rating than Houston and DBJ despite their Super coach rating giving the Port boys superior ratings. Houston's rating was his career best (as was Snelling's and Ladhams)

View attachment 720465

Sutcliffe's score vs his average suggests that we likely won't be seeing a repeat of his Essendon performance. There's always hope though.

Sutcliffe's score vs his average suggests that we likely won't be seeing a repeat of his Essendon performance. There's always hope though.
He was actually able to play a role that allowed him to settle in and contribute, he wasn't running around chasing the best players in the league.

A clever midfielder named Bonner
Can play through the centre with honour
In space he's a treasure
Without any measure
But pressure will see him a gonner

OK, OK, I only had a minute to do this 'cause I'm off to work. Over to the real poets on here .....
Nah, you are OK! You are way over-estimating the BF talent quotient! ;)

Duursma by a long way, then rozee and a Butters.

I’d say rozee, once he goes to the midfield he will dominate, he’s so clean and a one grabber, has time where others don’t.

Either way we should have 200 game players

He was actually able to play a role that allowed him to settle in and contribute, he wasn't running around chasing the best players in the league.

The whole team played as a team so everyone appeared to be a better player. That's the beauty of being better than the sum of your parts. Shame it doesn't happen more often. Cam played a great game, I hope it continues. The data suggests that it won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And therein lies the reality of relying too heavily on data and statistics. Lose by 60 points, yet have two of your players ranking highest.
It was a 3 goal game with about 6 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter so it wasn't an all day shellacking.

The whole team played as a team so everyone appeared to be a better player. That's the beauty of being better than the sum of your parts. Shame it doesn't happen more often. Cam played a great game, I hope it continues. The data suggests that it won't.
If he is allowed to play a role on the half forward line, it might. If he has to run around chasing Whitfield and Neale around, obviously it won't.

Yesterday's game was typical of a ground and opposition conducive to free flowing football. We've shown we can play like this against teams who don't focus on stifling our run. I wonder if the top teams we have beaten have backed their game plan over trying to negate ours. Yet Fremantle or an undermanned Richmond have a game plan based around pressuring the opposition, and we fall to pieces.

We've shown we can play well when the pressure is off. The conditions were ripe for a good win against an undermanned opposition. It's not a case of "why can't we do that every week?" But more how will we respond when we feel the heat?

SPP career best too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not according to CD otherwise he would be in red. He was marginally better than his 2 year average.

View attachment 720465
Gee, I didn’t realise you got so many negative points for kicking backwards. Dylan Clarke sure paid a price😉

Highest score of the round for the second time this year. Forwards, eh?
Maybe. Or way above average accuracy for goal due to being able to shoot for goal from better positions due to a lack of forward congestion.
Either way our forwards and tall forwards performed well in the conditions provided. I wouldn't expect that every week though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back