Round 21 Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll either go unchanged or drop Dixon for a small based on the weather, probably Wines, which wouldn't make sense for our briefly functioning forward structure, but that hasn't bothered Ken before.

Not sure why the commentators made such a big deal of how tall we were last week, as if it was super abnormal. They made it sound like we had all of Dixon, Marshall, Ryder and Hoff forward the entire game, seemingly oblivious to the fact Hoff was playing in defence and the second ruck was in and out of the forwardline. We had 2, sometimes 3 talls forward and 2-3 (including Hoff) back plus the ruckman. Yes, very tall by Hinkley standards, but pretty similar to other teams.

Charlie is sort of our Cyril Rioli. It's what he does without the ball that's most important. Seriously!

Look at our goals. Charlie draws the biggest, best defender out of the game, and often 2 defenders.
When he gets in the right spot, he contests like no other forward we have can.
Marshall plays his best game of the season because he plays on the 3rd string KPD.
Small forwards get to lead, crumb and rove instead of being tasked to play as contested marking forwards.
Westhoff gets to play his best football down back and is not miscast again as a KPF. A proven losing strategy.
No record intercept mark bulls**t.

We've seen this season how well Marshall plays against mature 1st and 2nd key forwards. Frampton is probably not mobile enough nor rated as highly (rightly or wrongly) as Dixon by opposition.

The goals you wanted came from accurate goal kicking, a structured, more open forward line and players being able to spot up and kick to the best options up forward. Charlie helps a lot to create those last 2 situations, in a way that unfortunately no other forward can for us at the moment despite his poor return. Hopefully this will start to improve and he might even kick a couple of goals a match himself.

Again watch how we got our goals.https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2019-08-03/highlights-essendon-v-port-adelaide-ptv
Love Charlie's endeavour but I reckon "Dixon has to contend with 3 defenders hanging off him" is pure mythology.

I think there are 3 guys that are all available for selection that are in the best 22: Lycett, Wines & Howard. How many will play this weekend though? Who knows, i doubt they'll make 3 changes to a winning line up.

Love Charlie's endeavour but I reckon "Dixon has to contend with 3 defenders hanging off him" is pure mythology.
It's not. He does bring it upon himself somewhat though as his method for separation is trying to wrestle then stretch mark.

If he spent more time using his considerable speed and acceleration to gain separation on the lead, he'd not be caught out so often.

It's not. He does bring it upon himself somewhat though as his method for separation is trying to wrestle then stretch mark.

If he spent more time using his considerable speed and acceleration to gain separation on the lead, he'd not be caught out so often.
Not to mention using his strength to push off an opponent.

If we kicked the ball 10m in front of Charlie so he could push off and move towards it rather than ove this head to his defenders side it would help too.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
At this point in time I look at it as getting an early start on our 2020 and beyond side.

So:
Ryder --> Lycett
Jonas --> Howard
S. Gray --> Farrell

Spray perhaps hard done by, but he's not part of the future, neither is Ryder. And Jonas as a 'short tall' defender whose slow to boot, is poorly suited to the 6-6-6 rules.

Farrell is such a beautiful and reliable kick, I'd love to see him in the side. Probably needs another string to his bow to thrive at this level.

Howard and Lycett are best 22, no doubt amd Sutcliffe aint but i just don't see the selection comittee making those changes.

He also mis-times his approach to the footy. How often does he lead under the ball or jump from three deep because he hasn't got there in time.
If Charlie had learnt proper forward craft, he would have been a completely different proposition for opposition defences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our half-captain wines is an emergency, not good enough to break into the best 22

Not that I’m complaining! Only real change I’d have considered is bringing Lycett in

Unchanged so that Ken has an excuse to drop a tall next week after one or more of the six inevitably fails in the terrential rain Saturday. 🤣

Unchanged so that Ken has an excuse to drop a tall next week after one or more of the six inevitably fails in the terrential rain Saturday. 🤣
I can see him doing something like Lycett and Motlop for Ladhams and Dixon next week. Didn’t want to bring back Lycett this week because he knows some of the talls will fail in the rain this week and he wants an excuse to keep favourites in.

And wtf is with wines going back through the twos after a couple weeks off with a sore finger?

Howard out is another interesting one for me, as a forward he deserved to be dropped but I thought he was tracking okay as a defender prior to getting switched forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can see him doing something like Lycett and Motlop for Ladhams and Dixon next week. Didn’t want to bring back Lycett this week because he knows some of the talls will fail in the rain this week and he wants an excuse to keep favourites in.
He didn't bring back Lycett this week because Ken is too stubborn, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back