News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is Teague's doing but the use of Cripps on the defensive side of the centre bounces is pretty much genius. It means that crippa can just push off his man and waltz to where the ball is. Once he gets it he can lay it off or turn the big circle with almost no pressure. Also means that the opposition player has to track him though meaning they have no forward momentum.

Think Brent Stanton is getting kudos from the players since being promoted by DT.

As good as Teague has been, coaches aren’t made by what they do when things are going well, but how they respond when things arent.

In some ways, I’d almost like to see us get a drubbing from WC or Richmond, just to see how Teague handles it.

Plus there’s so much more to coaching that we are yet to see

Of course, it’s been a fantastic start and Teague has shown himself to be an outstanding tactician and match day and a good player manager if nothing else.

Agree with a little bit but do not want see the team getting flogged by any team (and no longer uncompetitive).

We have been 5-6 goals down in DT’s time and reigned it back (consistently), so perhaps we’ve already seen how he reacts under trying times?

For the other nerds out there, I've made a half-assed attempt of putting together some graphs to show our stats Before Teague and After Teague (known henceforth as BT and AT). Click the link below to go to my Tableau Public page and check them out.

The bottom right hand corner of the graph has a full screen button (highlighted in yellow in the below picture), then you can flick through the graphs by using the boxes at the top.

Each graph has an average line going through the middle. but you can use your mouse to select certain games and it will give you another average line to compare against the full year average. E.g. You might highlight our disposals for all of our games BT (orange) to see what our average disposals were, then highlight our disposals AT (blue) to see what the change has been.

Give me a yell if something isn't working or doesn't look quite right. Also feel free to suggest any improvements, or request additional graphs. I may get around to it eventually. ;)

Nerd Edit:

Ed Curnow is averaging 9 more disposals and 6 more clearances per game under Teague. FMD.

Last edited:

I’ve been reflecting a lot on Teague. I guess I shouldn’t read too much into a small sample.....however I’m a strong advocate for the concept of ‘thin slicing’: theory is that if you know what to look for you can find out much of what you need to know with limited observations.

In this case here are a few things that I wasn’t ready for, and have really struck me as incredibly positive signs for him:

- he changed a BIT, not a LOT. What did I gain from that? He didn’t need to make a large impression for the sake of it. His ego didn’t dominate his logic. Really important qualities.
- the changes he made were GOOD. Walsh into the middle (finally!). Kept a forward deep. Switched Ed to hard tag when needed. Played more runners through the middle.
-his message was simple to the players. Not a lot of messages. Just one: play to your strengths. No doubt he asked the coaches to talk one on one briefly with each player during the week and asked them to identify their strengths. And play to them. And they did.
- press conference was inspiringly smart, simple, self effacing. I was blown away. He really carried himself well.

It strikes me that as a coach he’d have enormous player cred. There’s never been a gutsier player. I’m sure they’ve looked him up.

He’s very calm. Clearly very calm.

I’m going to make a Walsh like call here:

He will coach our next flag.
It’s been this way for 8 weeks now. And I’ll repeat: he will coach our next flag.

Bet ya Thomas and Simmo both play on. Why? Cos they should. And Teague does stuff that should be done.

These Voss rumblings are a concern. It would be madness after what DT has done however... my worry is he was signed before the Teague Train left the station?

Would explain "training wheels" but hoping that was just a Juddy gaff. He aint perfect after all, like Crippa . ;)

Last edited:
These Voss rumblings are a concern. It would be madness after what DT has done however... my worry is he was signed before the Teague Train left the station?

Would explain "training wheels" but hoping that was just a Juddy gaff. He aint perfect after all, like Crippa . ;)

Crossed my mind that maybe this is Liddle leveraging the coaching appointment for some extra fan engagement/membership.

Leak a few false hints about Voss being in the frame, get a bunch of Carlton fans frothing about how much they don't want it and how we should just sign Teague already, feed the flames every few weeks, then announce Teague at the end of the season to much fanfare - and the fans who have been calling for Teague feel like their club is finally listening to them and doing the right thing.

For the other nerds out there, I've made a half-assed attempt of putting together some graphs to show our stats Before Teague and After Teague (known henceforth as BT and AT). Click the link below to go to my Tableau Public page and check them out.

The bottom right hand corner of the graph has a full screen button (highlighted in yellow in the below picture), then you can flick through the graphs by using the boxes at the top.

View attachment 720157

Each graph has an average line going through the middle. but you can use your mouse to select certain games and it will give you another average line to compare against the full year average. E.g. You might highlight our disposals for all of our games BT (orange) to see what our average disposals were, then highlight our disposals AT (blue) to see what the change has been.

Give me a yell if something isn't working or doesn't look quite right. Also feel free to suggest any improvements, or request additional graphs. I may get around to it eventually. ;)

Nerd Edit:

Ed Curnow is averaging 9 more disposals and 6 more clearances per game under Teague. FMD.
I am blown away ….. I cant understand it but blown away

I agree. And going for a big name isn't the same as Juddy's due diligence which has to be a carefully considered process where all factors are considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the Teague Train is screeching to a halt at this point of the game. :think:

Back on track friend.

Team is showing a grit and resilience we haven't seen in years.

Yep, within 16 points in last few minutes was good fightback against Tigers. And if wasn’t for some dubious umpiring decisions (no Harry free kick and mark taken after siren) that could have been the final margin. Better result than expected. Choo Choo for the TeagueTrain!!

We could well have played this year's Grand Final teams back to back.

And each team brought their A-game due to finals positioning (WCE desperate for top 2 and Tigs wanting top 4).

A better test we could not have had.
We are a good rung or two below, but we have been (at times) very competitive with these elite teams.

Not a single blowout under Teague.

The man has impressed me very much.

Not sure if anyone else heard David Parkin on 774 today. He was doing special comments on the Saints game with Ryan O’Keefe and they asked him if he was on board the “Teague Train”
“I’m driving it!” He said.
He also said “Ask Ryan, he knows more than I do, and it’s to do with a former coach of his also helping out.”

Must beat St Kilda next week. If he does that then not even Clarko should be considered

He still may get it even if we lose, as the saints have been also playing well under Ratts. Though it will put doubt in people’s minds making the decision.

Go down to geelong and put it right up to them as well would make the case too compelling to ignore him.

Think Brent Stanton is getting kudos from the players since being promoted by DT.

Having a midfielder coaching a midfield group :think:. Stanton wasnt a elite player but would know tricks and structures playing that role for 250 + games.

Not sure why he didn't get this role straight away.

Having a midfielder coaching a midfield group :think:. Stanton wasnt a elite player but would know tricks and structures playing that role for 250 + games.

Not sure why he didn't get this role straight away.

Development role as an entree into the caper. Bringing it, pretty sure I heard his name mentioned with Walsh’s foray as a burgeoning AFL midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back