Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

At some point, Shaw really puts his mark on the team. If that is to be a tough physical team then some previous favourites might fall out of favour.

Shaw has said all along he's a defense first coach - he's dropped Wood for a defender in Durdin.

Durdin seems to be a real project of his. I get the feeling he's seen what Mason brings and made his call.

If we can get good currency for Wood we should move him on. We have a plethora of marking half forwards who can cover the ground and replace his middling contributions. Take a decent pick and let Garner, Hosie and Taylor and fight it out.

If we can get good currency for Wood we should move him on. We have a plethora of marking half forwards who can cover the ground and replace his middling contributions. Take a decent pick and let Garner, Hosie and Taylor and fight it out.

Also got Will Walker to come back in who looked a great fit to play the link up half forward role.

If we can get a 2nd rounder for Wood that would be a fantastic result. Wishful thinking I know, but whatever the pick is we will never extract as much value from Wood as we can right now. We need to strike while the iron is hot.
How is it wishful thinking? Guys with Mase's talent don't grow on trees, hes contracted and he's had a good year. I wouldn't be trading him for less than a top 30 pick or (preferably) an upgrade on one of our picks or a young player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After tonight it’s quite clear that our two big forwards are brown and lackey. Wood needs to develop a new side otherwise he is surplus. With Thompson retiring we need to restructure backline. When full fit, Evw is a sure in, Tarrant fullback, Durdin cbf, then things Marley a lock, Ahern is a lock when fit. I would rid of McMillan and have wood as a half back flank as he has that atheleticism to be very effective.

After tonight it’s quite clear that our two big forwards are brown and lackey. Wood needs to develop a new side otherwise he is surplus. With Thompson retiring we need to restructure backline. When full fit, Evw is a sure in, Tarrant fullback, Durdin cbf, then things Marley a lock, Ahern is a lock when fit. I would rid of McMillan and have wood as a half back flank as he has that atheleticism to be very effective.
BBB and Larkey no trade value apparently.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wood just needed a full year with no injuries and he will become a great player. He has zero confidence in his body

He used to crash the packs but now he is worried. It’s fair enough

Wood is soft. If he’d half of Zurhaars physicality then he would be close to the second coming, but alas he’s destined to be a could-of-been.
He’s not full squib tho, I have to agree if he exerted himself more he would be a reckoning.. goes for numerous players on our list, very selective on when they go

Wood just needed a full year with no injuries and he will become a great player. He has zero confidence in his body

He used to crash the packs but now he is worried. It’s fair enough
So, if we have him covered on field and he is “disposable”, should we play him one more year to increase value? Because im dead set on papley for wood straight swap.. i love Mas and always backed him in but a ripping small is what we need...

I like the cut of Liam Henry as a small forward too.. he’s on Fremantles acadamy list, i’d use our pick on him if he slips too.. lightning quick, nimble, tackles .. small frame though .. he’s kind of like cameron at west coast

Last edited:
I really think he would be one of those forwards that if you put him in the backline he would be dominate.

Talented forwards often make great backmen ala Chris Johnson, Justin Leppitsch.

We should try it next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back