Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Garner's set shots a bit iffy due to hammy concerns about kicking through and lack of set practice over the year.

Some confidence in his body again and he'll be right.

Possibly. I think he can be a bit flaky when he has time to overthink it though, he's good in traffic and on the run but has a tendency to spray it once he works clear IMO. Wood is pretty similar in some ways although I think he's steadied over the year with his set shots. He was officially in the yips category early on, I'm more confident in him now.

Possibly. I think he can be a bit flaky when he has time to overthink it though, he's good in traffic and on the run but has a tendency to spray it once he works clear IMO. Wood is pretty similar in some ways although I think he's steadied over the year with his set shots. He was officially in the yips category early on, I'm more confident in him now.

Well, to paraphrase Denis Pagan, you can take that up the Confidence Shop in Puckle Street and see what they'll give you for it, because you're not gunna see Mase line up for goal again in the blue and white.

I'm not ever going to call Mason a squib - I've seen him go running back with the flight just as hard as Carey.

And this element of the game - the ground ball forward line lock in stuff - isn't about "guts" at all.

It is about who is better at what. Taylor's a got a lower centre of gravity and a stronger core. he's also being very obviously instructed to do this in a forward line.

That stuff isn't Mason's go at all.

I like watching Mase in full flight and will bear him no ill will if he finds success at another club (as just as not against us in final etc etc)

Garner has been showing real positives, particularly like what i see in heavy traffic to create space and time for himself. He's a definate keeper for mine. Wood is less of a requirement with Larkey over taking him.

If the decision is between Garner & Wood going forward I'd be staggered if set shot accuracy was coming into it. Garner is less reliable than Wood.
It's not as simple as that. Both are unreliable shots, and both have some X Factor, but Garner also has hardness and forward pressure, even when he's having an off day, while Wood's main asset is his marking, and when he goes missing, there isn't much left in terms of value that he provides. And when he goes missing, then bobs up with a good mark out of nowhere, but misses, that just about sums it up.

Yes agreed. That was my point all though i wasnt suggesting it be a point of difference on who stays. For theThrecord jz is a pretty ordinary set shot in the 25 to 40m range. odly enough though he appears to be a better bet from 50 out.

This is actually pretty common, as when you are further out you are forced to kick through the ball.

It's not as simple as that. Both are unreliable shots, and both have some X Factor, but Garner also has hardness and forward pressure, even when he's having an off day, while Wood's main asset is his marking, and when he goes missing, there isn't much left in terms of value that he provides. And when he goes missing, then bobs up with a good mark out of nowhere, but misses, that just about sums it up.

Of course, Garner also goes missing for 18 months at a time...

Personally I think it has just as much to do with the value that we can get for each of them as much as how we rate their input to the team. If we are relying on Garner being on field for any extended period of time we can expect to be unhappy at some point. I'm not trying to argue which one we should keep based on performance and I doubt that it is only about performance. There's no point deciding to trade Garner if he is contracted, uninterested in moving and other teams unwilling to pay to take on a player that has barely played in 2 years for a price we deem appropriate.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we were planning based on the idea that neither of the two will be reliable longterm options for our first 22 (and I would think that is prudent as of today).

Some confidence in his body again and he'll be right.

I like him, I really do, but how can you have any faith he'll ever be right enough for long enough for it to be meaningful.

I like him, I really do, but how can you have any faith he'll ever be right enough for long enough for it to be meaningful.
After 39 games in seven seasons, 2015 was a make or break year for Robbie Tarrant.

Injuries had crippled his AFL career, and they weren’t your stock-standard niggles — four shoulder reconstructions, hip troubles, nerve damage and a rare tibial stress fracture limited the athletic key position player to one injury-free season.

Frustrations were, at times, impossible to escape for Tarrant but the last year of his contract would prove to be the defining one of his career, where he would repay North Melbourne for the faith they showed him during the long stints on the sidelines.

But despite his inability to get on the park, Tarrant had already proved his worth off the field.

“We could see the talent and knew what he could become but more important was the character of the guy,” North Melbourne’s Director of Coaching, Darren Crocker, told Aflplayers.com.au.

“Had he been a rat or a skunky sort of bloke who didn’t fit into the culture of the footy club, we wouldn’t have persevered. Even when Taz was on the sidelines, he was adding to the culture.

“He was probably at the crossroads at that period of time because you can only give players so long to become what we think they can become. Just because they’re a good bloke, you can’t keep them around if they’re not getting on the park.”

The question my friend, is how can YOU not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question my friend, is you can YOU not.
four shoulder reconstructions, hip troubles, nerve damage and a rare tibial stress fracture limited
VS
A plethora of soft tissue stuff.

Taz is the exception not the rule.

Edit to be absolutely clear, when we bought Taz in off half a VFL game and he got injured again I thought it was curtains.

If Taylor can make his way from where he is to be in the leadership group and lauded, no one will cheer him more than I. It is very hard to see that though.

four shoulder reconstructions, hip troubles, nerve damage and a rare tibial stress fracture limited
VS
A plethora of soft tissue stuff.

Taz is the exception not the rule.

Captain Bringdowns like you waiting and nigh on hoping Taylor gets hurt again.

Note my edit

Here's a tip, be hopeful rather than pessimistic.

To quote the great warrior poet Biggie Smalls, if you go from negative to positive then its all good.

Yep, biggest issue with Wood his consistency. When he's having an off day, he may as well not be there. And we can't put up with players like that when they're supposedly in their peak years.

I’d hate to see him go after all these years but if it nets us Papley + opens up a spot for Hosie you do the trade every day of the week.

Such a shame Mase could never consistently break open games, obviously injuries a contributing factor to that. Biggest tease since Harper.

I’d hate to see him go after all these years but if it nets us Papley + opens up a spot for Hosie you do the trade every day of the week.

Such a shame Mase could never consistently break open games, obviously injuries a contributing factor to that. Biggest tease since Harper.

Getting Papley would be counterproductive for Hosie.

I'm not stating Hosie wouldn't get a game, but it definitely makes it harder for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back