Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before, and allow me to say it again. Those who argue against the Rayner's and McStay's need to learn footy.
McStay is a critical part of our forward pressure. He very rarely gets beaten. And his up-the-ground efforts are elite.
Rayner was very under-utilised in this game, but he was always there. His job was to be tbe centre option and he kept presenting, we just barely took it because we were crazy defensive and always pushing down the line. But the times we did? He didn't let us down.

Watched replay and again.. Rayner was better than I remember. Pass mark for sure.

I just saw this on insta.. Go to the replay of the Lachie Neale goal from Stef, just after the out of bounds, Rayner signals to Lachie. If you then watch him once camera pans out he goes and sets a block for him which allows Neale to run onto Stefs tap. Hammo also mentioned he ran 50 meters to lay a block for Charlie that led to a goal.

This is what coaches see that we dont. Add the unpaid mark in the square of Stefs kick and the fact he never stopped trying and it eqautes to an ok game.

How much has Gary Abletts form slipped inrecent years. Yestetdays game was tailor made for Gaz, in years gone by he would have taken control and broken the game open.
Gee, I thought he played pretty well. It struck me at the game that Ablett & Dangerfield linked up very often also.

Gee, I thought he played pretty well. It struck me at the game that Ablett & Dangerfield linked up very often also.

I thought he was fine - I get the impression the original comment wasn't factoring in that we're talking about one of the oldest five players in the league. Ablett would've torn it apart earlier in his career but so would have Hodge. We did well in that we forced Geelong to throw Ablett into the middle for most of the game (something they've been reluctant to do this year) but we also stymied his output.

Watched replay and again.. Rayner was better than I remember. Pass mark for sure.

I just saw this on insta.. Go to the replay of the Lachie Neale goal from Stef, just after the out of bounds, Rayner signals to Lachie. If you then watch him once camera pans out he goes and sets a block for him which allows Neale to run onto Stefs tap. Hammo also mentioned he ran 50 meters to lay a block for Charlie that led to a goal.

This is what coaches see that we dont. Add the unpaid mark in the square of Stefs kick and the fact he never stopped trying and it eqautes to an ok game.
Yeah, nah, maybe, not sure, I haven't noticed, you could be right.
The selection panel are going to do what they feel is best & the team they pick is the team we'll be barracking for; so we just have to suck it up & get used to it I suppose. Venting about Rayner doesn't change the situation, it only creates discord amongst our fans. A big part of the Rayner kerfuffle, I believe, is that it appears to go against the Australian ideal of giving a fair go to blokes like Keays, C. Lyons & some others. Footy Clubs can be ruthless places & it's a fact that some players do not get what we believe to be a fair go. Mind you, Rayner didn't do himself any favours & put a target on his own forehead by coming back 6kg overweight, if reports are to be believed. That would be poor commitment in any mans language & not worthy of reward. So, in a way, the criticism of him is at least understandable. Still, for the sake of peace, maybe it's time we all drew a deep breath, accept Rayner will play & get on with enjoying the euphoria this "ride" is creating.

ps: what I have noticed of late is, the other target of dissatisfaction, McStay does a lot more than his stats reveal. When he marks he's pretty good at finding a target with a quick decision & he goes really well at competing in the air, getting the ball to ground in pack situations & forcing boundary line stoppages. That's the type of doer work every team needs done.

Awesome game. Loved it. Huge experience. The crowd was nuts.
Can't agree more. It was so good we couldn't bring ourselves to leave the ground, so we hung around at our seats. Glad we did; it was also a real bonus to see & hear the players singing the song on the big screen after what seemed like a good half hour after the final siren.

Great to see Chris scott coping it from all angles. Nick Rewaldt, Damo, Robbo. Pretty disrespectful comments after the game on a few fronts.

Even Whatley said it was a result that left Geelong.... 'Salty'.

Pretty poor form, reckon he would want that have that presser all over again if he could.

I've said it before, and allow me to say it again. Those who argue against the Rayner's and McStay's need to learn footy.
McStay is a critical part of our forward pressure. He very rarely gets beaten. And his up-the-ground efforts are elite.
Rayner was very under-utilised in this game, but he was always there. His job was to be tbe centre option and he kept presenting, we just barely took it because we were crazy defensive and always pushing down the line. But the times we did? He didn't let us down.

Watched the game last night and Cam was directly involved in two goals - one streaming through the corridor and bombing it in for a Cameron goal. This was with four disposals. Imagine when he's getting 20 or more a game:eek:

It was hard to only award five votes.

Adams, take a bow, he was a rock down back, intercept after intercept. His kicking was shocking in the first quarter but he improved as the game went on.

Lyons and Neale were both wonderful around the ball and in the contest. Neale's goal was the best of the day for mine (besides Linc's screamer at the end because it was clutch).

Clugga was superb running forward as well, great pace and disposal. I wish he'd dished off instead of taking shots from the pocket, but equally many of our players weren't leading either. He can get even better which is scary.

Charlie, what more is there to say? He's a superstar who can do it all. Made good leads and was a terror close to goal. I think he'll be even better next year with a bit more kicking practice.

Special mentions to Robbo and Martin, both superb as well, unfortunately I couldn't give them a vote. Couldn't be more proud of the team as a whole for lifting when the chips were down and rising to the occasion. What an experience that was to watch with the whole crowd roaring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that really shits me about this whole Rayner thing is the posters in here who make out it is clear cut he should be in the team. As soon as anyone suggests he in the chopping block poster come in and suggest a “hate campaign” or that the poster “doesn’t know football”. What a load of crap it is more that a reasonable argument. I have got to the point where he is in the team and try’s hard. I do believe others could be doing an equal/better job although I am happy to have him in the team. We are getting results. These posters who just dismiss it as A ridiculous notion need to be more open minded.

The thing that really s**ts me about this whole Rayner thing is the posters in here who make out it is clear cut he should be in the team. As soon as anyone suggests he in the chopping block poster come in and suggest a “hate campaign” or that the poster “doesn’t know football”. What a load of crap it is more that a reasonable argument. I have got to the point where he is in the team and try’s hard. I do believe others could be doing an equal/better job although I am happy to have him in the team. We are getting results. These posters who just dismiss it as A ridiculous notion need to be more open minded.

But... but... they are only responding to a couple of posters who are constantly definitive that he shouldn't be in the team? They are taking your position in reverse? That's why we are stuck here.

If people had a measured view on Rayner that didn't look like it was tainted with outward bias, I doubt many people are accusing them of a hate campaign?

I am a supporter of Rayner and his role in the team but I wouldn't be up in arms if he were dropped, his form has warranted it at times. I doubt many of his supporters would be.

All I see people doing is offering some counter arguments to the constant calls for his dropping.

I am definitely one of the bandwagoners here in Brisbane. Never really followed AFL up until this year after becoming a fairly disillusioned Rugby League fan over the last decade. Usually I'd support football - the EPL and sometimes the Roar, but the behaviour of the Roar administration over the last five years has been very off putting - not to mention the quality of the actual game!

I moved very close to the Gabba this year and decided to give it a whirl in round 1. Have been to nearly every home match so far this year and likely going to become a member next year. Still learning a bit about everything, but definitely far better that league. I'm a stats guy by day, so the stats heaviness of the game also intrigues me.

Hopefully I'm still around when the next bandwagon comes along! :)

But... but... they are only responding to a couple of posters who are constantly definitive that he shouldn't be in the team? They are taking your position in reverse? That's why we are stuck here.

If people had a measured view on Rayner that didn't look like it was tainted with outward bias, I doubt many people are accusing them of a hate campaign?

I am a supporter of Rayner and his role in the team but I wouldn't be up in arms if he were dropped, his form has warranted it at times. I doubt many of his supporters would be.

All I see people doing is offering some counter arguments to the constant calls for his dropping.
My position even in reverse is that there are reasonable arguments both ways. How posters can be accused of not knowing football for suggesting he should be in consideration for being dropped is beyond me.

There has been accusations of hate trust me, worded along the lines of “all you Rayner haters”. I not going through the posts but it’s happened.

There has been accusations of hate trust me, worded along the lines of “all you Rayner haters”. I not going through the posts but it’s happened.

Yeah there has been accusations of that. Some of it has looked like a personal vendetta to me. I am right in that camp.

All i am saying is, I don't think people are saying it's definitive he shouldn't be dropped, they are just pointing out the good things he does in the face of the constant calls he should be dropped.

I doubt there is a member of this forum that would argue there have not been ground to see him have a week in the NEAFL over the course of the season. Its about finding a reasonable middle ground, a position which some people in the debate refuse to take.

I am definitely one of the bandwagoners here in Brisbane. Never really followed AFL up until this year after becoming a fairly disillusioned Rugby League fan over the last decade. Usually I'd support football - the EPL and sometimes the Roar, but the behaviour of the Roar administration over the last five years has been very off putting - not to mention the quality of the actual game!

I moved very close to the Gabba this year and decided to give it a whirl in round 1. Have been to nearly every home match so far this year and likely going to become a member next year. Still learning a bit about everything, but definitely far better that league. I'm a stats guy by day, so the stats heaviness of the game also intrigues me.

Welcome aboard!
And enjoy the ride!😉

You sound like a welcome addition to the pride Mate! the more the merrier. The Bandwagoners are filling our coffers and helping our boys over the line each week. Bring them on!

Do me a favour and turn up the VOLUME on ELEVEN when you watch this.

If that doesn't give you a tear in the eye as a Lions fan, nothing will.

If you can get a hold of the SEN call over the last 60 seconds do it, I was driving to work and nearly started balling my eyes out in traffic. The roar of the crowd and the call is unforgettable.

Back