Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply, I love Vandermeer's kick penetration and I would love to see more players with
that kick penetration delivering the ball inside fifty. I think Ed Richards is the long term filler for the
eventual retirement of Matthew Suckling and I love Lachie Young as a player although he needs to
visit the drive through at Maccas more and take Tim English with him. My long term vision for the
Bulldogs revolves around kicking penetration which could be a hot topic for the erotic fiction thread.

Kicking penetration is more important than many people realise.

Our mids clobbered everyone for months. We have one bad game and all of a sudden we need an inside bull, enforcer type?? No thanks.

Short memories on here.

The real problem was that other players didn't take advantage of the extra resources GWS put into smothering our big four. Unfortunately, Bont, Macrae, Dunkley and Hunter bring the others into the game and it is not reciprocal. If the engine rooms' possessions are down, the other guys drop off. We need them to take advantage of the situation and step up.

Is Bruce a bit of tough campaigner? Hope so.

Need a state leaguer with a bit of see you next Tuesday about him as well. Just for our next match against the Plastics.
Gowers has a bit in him, also silly enough to be afraid of??

Our mids clobbered everyone for months. We have one bad game and all of a sudden we need an inside bull, enforcer type?? No thanks.

Short memories on here.

No one came at us like the giants did and now they all will so we need to be ready for it.

We were ok when it was on our terms but when that was taken away we got smashed.

This isn’t about one game this is about a pattern that will now happen every week if the opposition is bigger than us AND most are.

Guys like McLean and Lipi showed how far off legit AFL mids they are when the heat is on and I personally have never seen why they deserve midfield time. They are both flankers

Last edited:
Kicking penetration is more important than many people realise.
Yes it is, makes it hard to cover the exits and put pressure on the ball carrier the more unpredictable you
are. There is no better sight in football than a Lewis Jetta 65 metre bullet pass to a player keeping there
width and turning to run into a near vacant fifty. The reality is any system can be taken apart and the
coaches of today are quasi risk managers. Pure football is a dream, reality is make the best system for
the talent at your disposal, tear the fabric of belief at your own peril.

No one came at us like the giants did and now they all will so we need to be ready for it.

We were ok when it was on our terms but when that was taken away we got smashed.

This isn’t about one game this is about a pattern that will now happen every week if the opposition is bigger than us AND most are.

Guys like McLean and Lipi got showed how far off legit AFL mids they are when the heat is on and I personally have never seen why they deserve midfield time. They are both flankers
Don't get all pessimistic again MD :p
Lipi is coming along well I reckon. Most of the team got smashed.

When is the clubs exit meetings scheduled if anyone is in the know? Normally its when rumors of any requests to be traded, or players told they will be on the trade table or not offered a contract starts to filter through.

When is the clubs exit meetings scheduled if anyone is in the know? Normally its when rumors of any requests to be traded, or players told they will be on the trade table or not offered a contract starts to filter through.

Bevo said in his brief that the exit meetings are going to take place on Wednesday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delist:
Morris
Picken
Boyd
Roberts
Webb
Roarke (R)

Trades:
Martin-
2019 + 2020 1sts for BL 2019 1st + GC 2020 2nd + Martin

Bruce-
GC 2020 2nd for Bruce

Keath-
Dogs 2nd + Hawks 3rd for Keath (+2020 SK)

Draft:
Brisbane’s 1st (15) -
Elijah Taylor (Worth reaching for IMO. Few similar players around this mark but he’s the stand out for mine)
STK 3rd(41) -
Dyson Hilder (KPD who is rated by Knightmare as a better one-on-one defender than McAsey. Could be good value this late)
Dogs 3rd (48) -
Outside class or
Mature small/medium goal kicker or
Upgrade Lachie Young

2020 team:
Wood Keath Crozier
JJ Young Suckling
Smith Bont Hunter
Martin Naughton Lloyd
Dale Bruce Dickson
English Dunkley Macrae

Daniel Schache Libba Duryea

What are people’s thoughts on trade values? Think they’re about right but GC may want more than a couple of upgrades for Martin, even if they are decent upgrades.

Only real issue with all is we need to clear one more name off the list. Could be Williams but word is he will be resigning soon, don’t think he wants to leave. Maybe Lynch or Jong?

Our players 22 and under get bullied by 26 plus year olds so now they aren’t going to make it or aren’t good enough, gee this place is reactionary and short-sighted.

So many want to make 10+ changes to our list with zero thought past next year.

We have people wanting to bring in more inside mids when we lack outside class, because our young team with a young ruck got bullied in the midfield. We have Libba and Wallis to return next year if we want more grunt in the middle.

We are young, we had 4 players over 28 play in that final, we had 11 players who had never played a final before against a team that has played finals in 4 consecutive years, which has included 2 prelims. Can we have some perspective.

Do our younger guys need to get stronger and fitter of course they do. Do they need more experience of course they do.

We obviously need so experience and especially in the key position posts but to want mass changes to a list that is basically level with the bottom 4 in terms of age and experience yet made finals is ridiculous especially when it would stifle the development of our young players that have had great years but because of an off day we want to cast them aside.

How about:

2nd and 3rd for Bruce
1st and 3rd for Martin and 2nd
2nd for Keef

Think that leaves us with a 3rd and later picks.
Still reckon at least 1 of our players will be part of a trade. We've had 16 players move to new clubs in the past 5 off seasons, so in what looks likex a busy trade period for us, you'd have to think 2-3 trade outs are ikely..

Still reckon at least 1 of our players will be part of a trade. We've had 16 players move to new clubs in the past 5 off seasons, so in what looks likex a busy trade period for us, you'd have to think 2-3 trade outs are ikely..
I agree, this is why I am about 90% sure Bailey Williams isn't with us next year. He's probably the last uncontracted player left with any value. Not to mention those who are contracted but may still be pursued or want to explore other opportunities

I agree, this is why I am about 90% sure Bailey Williams isn't with us next year. He's probably the last uncontracted player left with any value. Not to mention those who are contracted but may still be pursued or want to explore other opportunities
Agree. Given he's an SA boy, seems logical he may end up as part of the Keath deal . Given Keath is also uncontracted and 6 years older, we probably get him for Williams and one of our 40s picks

Short memories on here.
Judging from the number of likes to your post i should not disagree with your view. But i do have some reservations.

In previous weeks I was thinking that a case could easily be made that our midfield is the best in the AFL and that includes Geelongs. The counter argument is that our midfield did not get us into finals in 20017 and 2018 and we lost the only final we made in 2019. So i don't see the criticism as based on one bad game. My belief that another 'bull" is needed is based on my guess that guys like McLean, Hunter, Richards, Lipinski, Macrae and maybe even the Bont will not be getting markedly stronger over the next few years. more experienced yes but stronger I doubt.

I don't think one extra skilled 'campaigner' would hurt.

It's pretty dark at my place VD are you sure the sky is not falling. Do me a favour VD and put up a
comparison of the Round 22 versus the Giants at the same venue versus the demographic for the
Elimination final at the same venue, totally different results.
This is for Round 22 against GWS:

And this is for Finals week 1 against GWS:

So we lost 10 months in age, and 10 games in experience. You can put a lot of this down to missing Trengove and Dickson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back