Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Martin news is true that is disappointing but not the end of the world. However, if we miss out on keath too and he chooses st Kilda then we really need to look at why we can’t attract players with the list and potential we have. We’ve been bypassed a lot in recent years when we’ve had the better offer for clubs with low potential and aging lists

If the Martin news is true that is disappointing but not the end of the world. However, if we miss out on keath too and he chooses st Kilda then we really need to look at why we can’t attract players with the list and potential we have. We’ve been bypassed a lot in recent years when we’ve had the better offer for clubs with low potential and aging lists
Exactly.. saying it is good news is silly

Realistic we should have a core 15 players on our list for a 5-7 year period
I tend to agree here. Our core of the side should look like:

Top Tier (6 players)
  • Bontempelli
  • Macrae
  • Dunkley
  • Naughton
  • English
  • B. Smith

Important (10 players)
  • Crozier
  • Hunter
  • West
  • Schache
  • Dale
  • Lewis Young
  • Cordy
  • Richards
  • Lipinski
  • Daniel

We'd then have a few guys who could make up the "core" who for various reasons may not be in the above list, but could still play a big part in the team going forward. These are guys who may pass their peak in the next few years, are yet to debut or prove themselves, or play a position where we already have a ton of depth. Includes:
  • McLean
  • Wallis
  • Libba
  • Sweet
  • Lachie Young
  • Cavarra
  • Johannisen
I'll bet I've missed a couple, but I think that largely sums up who should be considered "core" on our list going forward. Anyone in that first 16 players should be held tight by the club, with Caleb Daniel possibly the only one that could drop off that list in my eyes.

There's guys like Wood, Suckling, Duryea, Lloyd who will be extremely important for the next couple of years, but will be gone within the next 4 years or so.

Carlton probably tapped into the money that they were using for Coniglio. I'm disappointed to miss out on Martin but he wouldn't be a huge improvement on field although he'd be handy off-field.

The Martin news sucks a little, but ultimately we all should've seen it coming. We chased another indigenous player, with another club competing, which already puts us massively behind in the race. This is an issue that will not be fixed quickly. If the reports are true of Carlton's offer being substantially lower, then that's pretty concerning, but I doubt it is the case. Wouldn't surprise me if the offers were ultimately pretty similar, in which case I'd almost expect him to choose Carlton.
The "good" thing is that he was the lowest priority of the 3 big targets. Only concern will be if Saints jump ahead on Keath, and Collingwood jump ahead on Bruce

If you believe the media the dogs had a much better offer on the table

Actually, I dont believe everything the media serves up and nor should you.

Particularly at this time of year were guys invariably named Tom or Sam are desperately out there trying to be first to make up the news and set the days media agenda.

The fact is not withstanding talk last week that we were now favourites (see point one ) all indications have been that Carlton was his first preference from the outset. That we needed to offer him significantly more just to turn his eye shouldn't really come as surprise. In the end who knows where Carlton landed with their final offer after missing on Coniglio they may well have upped their offer significantly and brought it up to or indeed surpassed ours.

On to the next and much more important targets that we have been linked to.

Last edited:
It’s also possible we re-evaluated after the final and decided we didn’t need Martin as much and pulled out.

Doubt very much we had a far better offer rejected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course he was going to pick Carlton though. Numerous indigenous players on that list would have got him over the line.

Didn’t see him as any great need anyway. He wodnt have helped at all on saturday. Nowhere near the level of someone like Bruce or Keath could have.

Do we have a problem selling ourselves as a destination for players? How many players recently have picked us over other teams. Duryea over Sydney rings a bell. Who before that? Akermanis?

Pretty disappointing.

Nope. We have historically fought against a bullshit narrative that players want to play for 'big' clubs in front of big crowds. It's not an easy mindset to break.

High profile players are invariably linked and get to these sides.

How else can you possibly explain Essendon constantly winning trade week after years of dubious off-field behaviour?

Last edited:
No one came at us like the giants did and now they all will so we need to be ready for it.

We were ok when it was on our terms but when that was taken away we got smashed.

This isn’t about one game this is about a pattern that will now happen every week if the opposition is bigger than us AND most are.

Guys like McLean and Lipi showed how far off legit AFL mids they are when the heat is on and I personally have never seen why they deserve midfield time. They are both flankers

This is what annoys me about a lot of reactions in here.

It wasn't a blip, a down game. On the contrary it was a clear demonstration of what can be done to us in particular in finals where refs are instructed to put away the whistle. The players werent just down, they were battered, exhausted and beaten. It wasnt a tactical issue or form blip.

Very similar to what happened to JJ a couple of years ago, completely nullified him. We need to not only get the players we have to adapt, but get blokes who can allow us to literally wrestle back the momentum.

This is what annoys me about a lot of reactions in here.

It wasn't a blip, a down game. On the contrary it was a clear demonstration of what can be done to us in particular in finals where refs are instructed to put away the whistle. The players werent just down, they were battered, exhausted and beaten. It wasnt a tactical issue or form blip.

Very similar to what happened to JJ a couple of years ago, completely nullified him. We need to not only get the players we have to adapt, but get blokes who can allow us to literally wrestle back the momentum.
Libba, Gowers, Sweet, even Lachie Young would all have got stuck into the opposition a lot more than many of our players on the weekend. Smith and West have a lot of campaigner in them too, and were some of the only ones getting stuck into the opposition, but they're currently boys among men. We have enough pricks on our side and waiting in development that I don't think we need to throw away significant currency on bigger bodies when our midfield is already slow enough

Nope. We have historically fought against a bulls**t narrative that players want to play for 'big' clubs in front of big crowds. It's not an easy mindset to break.

High profile players are invariably linked and get to these sides.

How else can you possibly explain Essendon constantly winning trade week after years of dubious off-field behaviour?
Well if you listen to Adam Cooney all it took was a spongy floor. But if we are to believe the rumours and I tend to right now, we had more money on the table, a better coach, a better team and he still picked Carlton.

Look realistically the small Vic clubs like us are very rarely going to get players also being chased by the big clubs, that's just how it is unfortunately. Can have a try, fine, but all we can do really is keep on drafting and developing while also making smart moves for underrated guys like Crozier and Duryea. Leaning more towards the latter this year probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back