Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong.

4875.jpg
I'm not sure he wants to be anywhere near a bunch of oiled up men in short shorts and singlets chasing balls

Looking forward to this.
Either outcome would be good. Both teams have done this year hard on the injury front.

Greene or Finlayson for Norm Smith in a Giants win
Lynch or Bachar if the the Tigers win.

Shiel gotta be kicking himself right now. Sorry Dyl. Goddard may have coping mechanisms for you.

I thought for 3 qtr GWS played better than any team has this finals series.

Defence was unbreakable even with Davis out, restricting Collingwood to 3 goals.
Midfield was both offensively and defensively outstanding, finally got the mix right.
While the forward line was very good, Cameron the best big fwd in the game.

The grand final is going to be absolutely awesome, Greene and Whitfield are two ins who will be match fit and will definitely add a huge element.

Not sure Cogs makes it, not match fit and i feel the midfield balance would go too attacking if he does.

Riewoldt and Lynch are alot more of a handful than Mihocek and Reid, the extra pressure in the air will cause more GWS players to fly which will expose their small backs against the tigers smalls which are arguably the best in the league

Riewoldt and Lynch are alot more of a handful than Mihocek and Reid, the extra pressure in the air will cause more GWS players to fly which will expose their small backs against the tigers smalls which are arguably the best in the league

Same can be said for the GWS tall timber as well.
Himmelberg, Finlayson and Cameron are all 194cm+ and the forecast weather looks like being dry conditions.
Astbury and Grimes are going to be up against it just as Moore and Roughead were yesterday.

Hill, Greene, Daniels as the smalls, it's going to be a very even contest.

If GWS win, it would be a monumental effort.

I can't see how they can get up after that Brisbane game followed by the Collingwood game.

Both games were the same. Tough, hard fought battles down to the death. Both within a goal. These types of games take a hell of a lot out of a side due to the physicality, emotion and just the energy used by playing a full 4 quarters of full on cut throat football.. none of that kicking it sideways, backwards and chilling out for last quarter. Add the travel in of Sydney - Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Sydney - Melbourne all within the space of 2 weeks.

In contrast, Richmond haven't left Melbourne. They've had two easy games where they had complete control most of the time. The Geelong game they took a while to get going, but the game wouldn't have taken too much out of them. They basically cruised all game and won on a burst of about 20 minutes.

I'm seeing an absolute belting coming up.

AFL dream grand final by having GWS in there, but it will fizzle hard when they are down by 10 goals at half time.
I just realized that the 3 teams GWS beat in this finals series so far have 0 forward lines.

Bulldogs - Nobody
Brisbane - Charlie Cameron
Collingwood - Nobody

It will be interesting to see how they go against a team that has scoring power. I wonder if guys like Davis, Haynes and co will even be ready for it. They literally have not had to do any serious work on big forwards since Round 21 when they played Hawthorn which they lost and that was on August 09. round 22 and 23 was Gold Coast and Bulldogs... again forwardless sides.
A lot of good points you have made here.

Just a thought whilst it was a good win by the GWS i have just re watched the game (with no emotion and calm head)
Was GWS really that great or was collingwood off their game today or was it a bit of both)

Pies started well and went out of the game for 2 quarters then came back hard at GWS and the last 15 minutes of the game the giants were just trying to hold off the pies and i would say another 3-4 minutes and the Pies would have won the game , So GWS played 2 quarters of very good football

Cats & Lions also played very good football for 2 quarters but in both games the Tigers run over them, Does the GWS giants have the ability to backup again after 2 very hard games ? How much would this hard game against the Pies in the wet take out of them ? Will the fresh legs of the Tigers prevail in the last quarter ?

I also believe the wet weather assisted the giants today and the pies couldnt play their game style partly due to the giants class but also due to the weather
Im not overly confident and not really too concerned about Greene/Whitfield and dont believe Cogs will play as they were all in the team Richmond beat in july by 30 points at the MCG

Will the occasion unsettle the Giants

Should be a great game. I will be happy if we're level at half time because I think we usually play great second halves.

GWS will need to dominate the midfield to win, but they are capable of that. If we can break even in the middle then I would be expecting our forward line to get on top. Haynes and Williams will have to be more accountable I think and not sure they have anyone that can go with Lynch if he is clunking them.

At the other end of the ground, it's a massive task for Astbury. If Cameron kicks 3 or 4 you live with that. I'd throw Grimes on Greene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just realized that the 3 teams GWS beat in this finals series so far have 0 forward lines.

Bulldogs - Nobody
Brisbane - Charlie Cameron
Collingwood - Nobody

It will be interesting to see how they go against a team that has scoring power. I wonder if guys like Davis, Haynes and co will even be ready for it. They literally have not had to do any serious work on big forwards since Round 21 when they played Hawthorn which they lost and that was on August 09. round 22 and 23 was Gold Coast and Bulldogs... again forwardless sides.
Cameron had seven shots on goal in their last meeting and Riewoldt and Lynch had seven between them. You say that like Richmond have been shutting down power forwards this finals series. Cameron and Finlayson had 18 scoring shots against the Tigers when Grimes didn’t play in R4. He’s a huge factor, so I expect the Giants will be looking to shut him down. Brisbane failed to but the Cats did a decent job.

Wouldn’t it just be terrific for the long suffering loyal supporters of the giants franchise if they won a premiership? Couldn’t sell 1000 tickets to a home final 2 weeks ago, I hope the tigers beat them by about 30 goals.
The epitome of a franchise, a manufactured team who have had this appearance handed to them on a platter. Wouldn’t surprise me to to see them get a dream run from the maggots next week.
Very disappointed for the Maggies would have been a great grand final.

If Ahern is best 22 than there's no reason why Tyson isn't, given they both spent most of the year in your VFL side.

And after seeing them today I don't think GWS will be missing Trelolar or Adams.
Ahern became best 22 again by the end of the year because he worked on his defensive side, and did alright in a new role off half back.
Myself and most North fans never expected Tyson to be best 22 for the year, he was always a depth player.

Same can be said for the GWS tall timber as well.
Himmelberg, Finlayson and Cameron are all 194cm+ and the forecast weather looks like being dry conditions.
Astbury and Grimes are going to be up against it just as Moore and Roughead were yesterday.

Hill, Greene, Daniels as the smalls, it's going to be a very even contest.
He wasn't bad, but Hill won't keep his spot if Greene plus Whitfield/Cogs plays.

Giants to barnstorm home in the first of what will be several flags.

People will look back and wonder how the hell the Giants went into this game as underdogs.

Won't be as messy as Geelong v Port in 2007, but it will be the biggest GF win we've seen in a few years.

You heard it here first.
It will either be a comfortable Tigers win by 40ish, or GWS by around 15 I reckon. Can't see the Giants smashing them.

Giants last 10 games

won 7 games
Beat pies 2 times
lost to tigers 27 points
5 of 7 games they won by less than 5 points
been beaten by over 40 points 2 times (hawks/Doggies)
beat 2 teams convincingly (doggies/Suns)

Not spectacular

Can't see the Giants smashing them.
Nobody can except yours truly.

Which will make the revisionism all the more laughable in about a week's time when everybody is talking about how the Giants were given too much top end talent, AFL created a monster, next best team in the comp couldn't get within 40 points, it will be a five year dynasty, bla bla bla.

Will GWS be tempted to bring Conglio in? Big call.
Phil Davis is interesting. He was bloody sore.
But gee some hard luck stories of GF to come. Graham is close to being rested but Broad will likely miss due to an accident. That sucks.
But what about Deledio?! Gutted in 2017 and now it’s new team vs old team in the decider. What an awful time to be injured

Back