Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Their lippy supporters have done amazing Harry Houdini impressions since about 5.28pm on Saturday 30th September...

We're so accustomed to them being at their most buoyant and bullish at this time of the year as well!
You know how this thread is specifically not about Carlton?

Noble missed out on a flag but Ginnivan didnt. Let that sink in.

Well done Collingwood, I do think that the umpires decision robbed us of a very dramatic finish in favour of the Lions but they are definitely a deserving group.

Fly a lovable bloke, half the Pies team are great blokes too. Well done, enjoy the win Pies supporters.
Classy post BFB

It was one of the better GFs I have seen. But if the game was going to be decided by less than a kick and a dubious umpiring decision, it was always going to go Collingwood’s way.
We've lost about 6 grand finals by 10 points or less. Why would you expect the dubious decision to go our way after the 2018 and 1979 grand finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are conceding we weren't helped over the line in that game? Not to mention the 50 m penatly against Degoey for trying to avoid the doctor and Murphy who was being cartered half conscious from the ground!
No I think that game was gifted to Collingwood

In retrospect it was a good game, and Brisbane are a very scary prospect given they got pantsed in the guts and still only lost by a kick. I'm not a gambling man but if I were I'd be on them and Port to make it next year.

So you are conceding we weren't helped over the line in that game? Not to mention the 50 m penatly against Degoey for trying to avoid the doctor and Murphy who was being cartered half conscious from the ground!
One of the worst things I've seen. Player bleeding, staggering from the ground after taking and mark and being punched in the face (no free), then the player in possession tries to not make contact with an injured player leaving the field under the BLOOD RULE and gets pinged...

Adelaide aren't particularly favoured or hurt by the umps in my experience, and we had a good run since Fly took over but that day was utter crap.

Even the AFL later conceded it was an atrocious call.

Yep. For sure. I've said they should in various threads.

But in other games sorry mate. You're wrong. As for The Granny there were shocking calls both ways. There always is.

Let's be honest. In 2018, Dom Sheed played on.
… that’s your idea of a bad umpiring call in the dying moments of a game. Pull the other one mate lol

… that’s your idea of a bad umpiring call in the dying moments of a game. Pull the other one mate lol
It's an odd one. I was there with a good view and of course we felt Rioli held Maynard.

Those aren't always paid, and little blokes are given a bit of leeway vs bigger blokes.

Overall we had the better of it in 2018 but it was a hot game . Our rucks got mauled (play on as it often is in GFs) our defenders did some holding and the most prominent mistakes were non decisions on a few of our boys holding the ball, Eagles missed 2 or 3 obvious free kicks in front of goal.

We have been robbed by umps (1979) and 2018 wasn't like that at all, on balance we came out ahead IMHO.

My favourite game to attend this year (outside our premiership of course) was my very first trip to AO and sitting in the stand right above Elliott as he slotted that goal. Was the mark OOB you reckon?
Nah. The 2x goals from frees in q4 would not have been awarded to other sides though.

I’ve lost track, are you talking about the Port win? Or the Crows win? Or Collingwood’s premiership win v the Lions?

We’ve won a lot of games recently, so you’ll need to be specific.
lol yes it’s easy to lose track of games where Collingwood were umpired to victory, so I can sympathise.

Back