Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Preliminary Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 23rd 5:15pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 111 44.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy moly. Are you serious? We were cooked, ran off our legs by a fresh team. We just played two gruelling finals.

I swear some people here must get off on posting this kind of toxic crap.

I'm proud of Carlton tonight.
Let the sad and pathetic muppet have his/her moment. We've made serious progress this year.

It's very hard to win a flag when you finish outside the top four. So we need to set finishing inside the top four as our target next year.

This was the year that we found our fighting spirit as a club again. That sort of fighting spirit was last seen from a Carlton team back in 2001 imo.

This “abyss” narrative is laughable.
Carlton we’re picked to make the 8 by most pundits.
So all you effectively did was slightly exceed expectations.
We came from 15th late on in the season to play in a prelim, it’s the furthest back anyone has been at that point in the season to play in a prelim ever. No spin on this one champ.

Brisbane have been more convincing. Collingwood have been plucky but I actually thought their 2022 finals was more impressive than 2023 (so far).

Obviously there's a big chance to change that next weekend but I'd say Collingwood have ran at 70% of their capacity. That will be enough against Brisbane bringing an underwhelming performance to Melbourne but not anything more.
I'd take a more underwhelming performance in finals in the eyes of Mr Meow that results in us making a Grand Final with a shot at a flag, as opposed to a 1 point Preliminary Final loss.

Brisbane are 6 wins, 6 losses when playing away from The Gabba this year.

Still salty over last week mate?:grinv1: I think Carlton have made serious progress this year. We'll win a flag before you Melbourne cheeseboard eaters do imo.:)

Mate you support a club who's own members wanted to vote out of existence back in 1996 after all.;)
Haven’t we just won a flag?

Talking about missing in big games, how's Jamie Elliot going this september ? Starting to get a Gary Rohan type reputation me thinks
Elliott's looking ahead to playing in a Grand Final next weekend, after kicking an important goal in the 3rd quarter to put us ahead in our Preliminary Final, with strong goalkicking options around him.

Is it Charlie or bust for Carlton? If so, that's not a great recipe for a successful finals series...

Dear me the Brownlow has lost its shine. Two years in a row it's been won by a fraud that hears footsteps in tough games.
Let's hope a proper tough guy wins it this year and restores the pride in the Charlie
I don't think anyone with any real footy knowledge and credit respects the award. I remember the blues fans carrying on when Cripps won the medal. It didn't change the fact that he wasn't a top 40 player in the game which was confirmed again this year. Wasn't close to AA.

Elliott's looking ahead to playing in a Grand Final next weekend, after kicking an important goal in the 3rd quarter to put us ahead in our Preliminary Final, with strong goalkicking options around him.

Is it Charlie or bust for Carlton? If so, that's not a great recipe for a successful finals series...
How so , Carlton kicked more goals than Collingwood this weekend. Get your head out of your arse. Pies need more than 8 to win next week.

They couldn’t find any.

Pretty piss poor to be outnumbered for a home final v an interstate side, clearly AFL is a waste of time in Brisbane, time to fold the club.
It's called VFL corruption my toothless friend. Can't wait for the VFL to return the favour for us on GF day and allocate 50% of the available fan tickets to actual Lions fans (i.e. 50% of the left over nose bleed seats that they don't give to their corporate Victorian mates). That'll be the day. MCG will be as black and white as it was against GWS come GF day. You watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We came from 15th late on in the season to play in a prelim, it’s the furthest back anyone has been at that point in the season to play in a prelim ever. No spin on this one champ.
Please spare me - all Blue baggers expected finals this year, and you got there.
The slow start is irrelevant, because you had all predicted you were a far better team than the early results.
So let’s not paint this expected result as some legendary resurgence beyond the predictions of sensible analysts.
If you were GWS on the other hand, that would be a different story.
They really did exceed all expectations.

Brisbane know their in trouble, players starting the faux tough act now. Cameron and hipwood leading the way and then crapping himself next contest.

By the way where are all their heroic mouthing off supporters you see in every game day thread each week?
page 80 and on

Mate just enjoy your Grand Final week like any other normal footy fan would.

Too many dickheads earlier laying into a clearly sore Crippa. Baggers with a well deserved rest now after Vossy got the best out of their quite frankly ordinary list. 5-7 list changes away from contending imo, top 4 next year not a certainty at all.
Rubbish!

We are top 3 this year.

No guarantees, but our list is coming along nicely thankyou very much.

You’re very lucky we ran out of legs yesterday!

Good like beating The Wobblers next week!

Please spare me - all Blue baggers expected finals this year, and you got there.
The slow start is irrelevant, because you had all predicted you were a far better team than the early results.
So let’s not paint this expected result as some legendary resurgence beyond the predictions of sensible analysts.
If you were GWS on the other hand, that would be a different story.
They really did exceed all expectations.
Well can we say we got a pass mark then.
Last year many tipped us to just miss the 8 and we did.
This year many tipped us to finish between 7-10, and we exceeded that.
To look at the season as a whole, we finished 5th in the home and away, won two finals. Beat all the top 4 sides except the Lions.

Experienced our first finals campaigns for almost the entirety of our list. Won a couple, fell short at a prelim.

The normal natural progression of teams is to qualify for finals, then to win a final, then to make top four, then to win into the grand final.

All signs point to an overall successful season.
Obviously it hurts to lose a prelim. Both Grand Finalists lost prelims last year. In fact, the lions have lost a few prelims over the last few years.

The best two teams of the season have made the Grand Final, and all respect to them.
Brisbane showed they were a class above us last night.

Hopefully Carlton will continue with the traditional advancements and next year will be hoping for top 4.
Nothing is guaranteed at all, but as a Carlton fan I feel relatively positive that we have improved this year and improvement from where we finished this year again next year will see us go close.

Good luck to both teams next week, you’ve shown all year you deserve to be there and it should be a cracking game.

It's called VFL corruption my toothless friend. Can't wait for the VFL to return the favour for us on GF day and allocate 50% of the available fan tickets to actual Lions fans (i.e. 50% of the left over nose bleed seats that they don't give to their corporate Victorian mates). That'll be the day. MCG will be as black and white as it was against GWS come GF day. You watch

Each club gets around 17k allocated tickets for members. Then AFL members get their own allocation and MCC etc.

I'd take a more underwhelming performance in finals in the eyes of Mr Meow that results in us making a Grand Final with a shot at a flag, as opposed to a 1 point Preliminary Final loss.

Brisbane are 6 wins, 6 losses when playing away from The Gabba this year.
It's odd to assume anyone wouldn't take that, so you started off with a redundant statement.

There were two ways to take that post: being defensive, or realising it means there is plenty of upside left for the big dance.

Collingwood with their best form of this season probably win each final by 8-10 goals as the standard of teams is so-so, but not every team has to play their best to win a flag. Playing just okay and scratching another 1 point win would rightly be nirvana.

Back