Autopsy AFL 2023 First Preliminary Final - Pies v GWS Fri Sept 22nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 28.5%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was the contact unreasonable? Mihocek burrowed his head into Lloyd and Lloyd just went with Mihocek's momentum. Not really sure what Lloyd is otherwise supposed to do there.

Mihocek's head was always cushioned by Lloyd's body so I'm not sure how you could call that a dangerous tackle. Would have been more dangerous if he had gone against Mihocek's momentum if anything.
They’re two separate actions. How are you even defending that tackle?

I’m not saying it’s malice but the optics of it is terrible.

The last 2 mins was s**t from a purists point of view, but it was the message from the boundary with the 'STOP' card being held up, and it's won them games. The Giants and Demons knew what Collingwood were doing.

It's up to their opposition next week to not let the game become a grind in the final quarter because Collingwood train specifically for these situations and locking down the play. Obviously, Collingwood can't do it if Brisbane or Carlton can be up by 4 or 5 goals, but once again, the pies will have also trained for that scenario and having to chase the game. Las season's results showed that.

End of the day, they are very well prepared. Their High Performance Manager is no mug. He's worked with Wayne Bennett so I have no doubt he's brought a lot of intel across to Collingwood and their performances over the last two years have shown that resilience which is prominent in good NRL teams has been instilled into this Collingwood team.
I know GWS didn’t have their main ruck on, by their ruck really should have been trying to smash the ball free in any directions. He did their no favours by trying to do little taps to advantage.

Collingwood were brilliant at closing out the game. Fly was clearly ecstatic with their execution. It reminded me of Port vs Sydney at Adelaide Oval in a final when Barry Hall was rucking on the wing and the Swans chewed up several minutes going absolutely nowhere.

Frustrating if you are the other team but absolutely engrossing and satisfying for your supporters.

Was the contact unreasonable? Mihocek burrowed his head into Lloyd and Lloyd just went with Mihocek's momentum. Not really sure what Lloyd is otherwise supposed to do there.

Mihocek's head was always cushioned by Lloyd's body so I'm not sure how you could call that a dangerous tackle. Would have been more dangerous if he had gone against Mihocek's momentum if anything.
Yes, because the only thing that’s important is the head. There’s a reason that type of tackle is banned in rugby league and results in a red card send off.

They’re two separate actions. How are you even defending that tackle?

I’m not saying it’s malice but the optics of it is terrible.
You ask how I'm defending it, but I'm yet to see anyone actually explain how it can be officiated as a dangerous tackle.

The optics might not be great, but I'm genuinely unsure what you're expecting the umpire to pay a free kick for there. There was no slinging motion, his head was never in any danger of hitting the ground, and he was unharmed.

I was more frustrated with the general commentary then the umpires. BT cannot be, like absolutely cannot be, allowed to commentate Collingwood matches. It's absurd to have him in there as the main caller.
The gulf in quality of virtually all commentators since the retirement of Denis and Bruce is stark. Their inane comments and lack of insight just reflects the lack of preparation. Compare that with Bruce who always had interesting insight based on “homework” to add to the broadcast.
All of them are now just boring.

It's only hit me now how big this GF is going to be! I've been liking the pies all year and dont hate any of their players. Still wanted GWS to win but either way we get pies Brisbane or blues as premiers. That's pretty good for a neutral fan. Who isn't an Essendon or Richmond supporter.
So many good stories
Pies: Fly 2nd yr, JDG redemption, pendles and Steele hold on for another, cox, Jamie Elliot
Lions: fages, prelim losses, likeable players bar a couple. Neale, Charlie, danihers game
Blues: vossy redemption, Cripps lack of finals, Walsh, doc, unsung heroes. Does McKay stand up.

Most folks on BF must be 30 years old or younger. It's extraordinary how neutrals will be on Carlton, should they be able to progress tonight.

Look, Carlton have been s**t for near on two decades, and they have a likeable team in 2023, but they won 16 premierships dealing in contents of brown paper bags. They are still Carlton Football Club. Ironically, it was one of the reasons they became s**t because they finally got caught!

Collingwood v Carlton is Darth Vader v Darth Maul. You can't support either. You want Collingwood to lose so their GF winning percentage drops to 34%, and you want Carlton to lose so they don't go ahead outright in VFL/AFL premierships.

And I'm from NSW so I can't support Brisbane Lions. No wins here at all.

You ask how I'm defending it, but I'm yet to see anyone actually explain how it can be officiated as a dangerous tackle.

The optics might not be great, but I'm genuinely unsure what you're expecting the umpire to pay a free kick for there. There was no slinging motion, his head was never in any danger of hitting the ground, and he was unharmed.

IMG_2705.jpeg

Last edited:
Hopefully McStay gets up, doesn’t look good though. Although he could give me the shits when at the Lions, he was an extremely good clubman and a very likeable person.
s**t news. No one deserves to miss a Grand Final through injury.

Particularly someone like him who seems like a good bloke with the chance to play his old side at the big dance.

Yes, because the only thing that’s important is the head. There’s a reason that type of tackle is banned in rugby league and results in a red card send off.
Perhaps you know the NRL rules better than I do, but I thought it was mid-air tackles that they cracked down on. I also couldn't find anything in the 2023 rules of the game, but I could just be completely missing it.
Attachment doesn't work, can you repost it?

Perhaps you know the NRL rules better than I do, but I thought it was mid-air tackles that they cracked down on. I also couldn't find anything in the 2023 rules of the game, but I could just be completely missing it.

Attachment doesn't work, can you repost it?
I edited the post and added it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most folks on BF must be 30 years old or younger. It's extraordinary how neutrals will be on Carlton, should they be able to progress tonight.

Look, Carlton have been s**t for near on two decades, and they have a likeable team in 2023, but they won 16 premierships dealing in contents of brown paper bags. They are still Carlton Football Club. Ironically, it was one of the reasons they became s**t because they finally got caught!

Collingwood v Carlton is Darth Vader v Darth Maul. You can't support either. You want Collingwood to lose so their GF winning percentage drops to 34%, and you want Carlton to lose so they don't go ahead outright in VFL/AFL premierships.

And I'm from NSW so I can't support Brisbane Lions. No wins here at all.
I get what you mean but for me atleast I don't really know any Carlton supporters, particularly being from a rural/regional area I don't know the typical insufferable blues people. Clubs do their time like Carlton have And Essendon is now. I'm just glad that it's not a Richmond, Hawthorn, Melbourne or Sydney GF as we've seen enough of them for a while

I edited the post and added it again.
Cheers. Not sure an arbitrary google result can be used to justify a free kick/suspension though.

I can probably find one that says tackling is dangerous - because it inherently is.
We're calling that a suplex? It was more of a somersault.
This is also true. Not even sure it's a discussion if it wasn't called a suplex in a fit of excitement by BT and Brayshaw.

Cheers. Not sure an arbitrary google result can be used to justify a free kick/suspension though.

I can probably find one that says tackling is dangerous - because it inherently is.

This is also true. Not even sure it's a discussion if it wasn't called a suplex in a fit of excitement by BT and Brayshaw.
Honestly, I had no major issues with it. Was mainly the optics and the fact it’s practically two actions. Just wasn’t necessary and COULD result in a player getting hurt.

You don’t want to see players tackling like that at all.

I get what you mean but for me atleast I don't really know any Carlton supporters, particularly being from a rural/regional area I don't know the typical insufferable blues people. Clubs do their time like Carlton have And Essendon is now. I'm just glad that it's not a Geelong, Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn, Geelong, or Melbourne GF as we've seen enough of them for a while

Fixed it for you.

Honestly, I had no major issues with it. Was mainly the optics and the fact it’s practically two actions. Just wasn’t necessary and COULD result in a player getting hurt.

I'm still not sure I'm following what is wrong with the tackle though? He's just going with Mihocek's momentum and he protected the head at all times. It actually seems like a perfect tackle for mine given the context of Mihocek burrowing his head into him and limiting the tackler's options. Pretty much the only safe alternative for Lloyd is to try to avoid contact.

The other alternatives are to go against the momentum (last thing you want him doing) or go with the momentum in more of a DDT-type move (if we're using wrestling terminology). Either of those alternatives seems more dangerous IMO.

So watching the replay, it was two similar teams butting heads. Talk about impasse.

Albeit never before seen pressure, both teams were able to get ball movement, at times forced into error whether from the occasion or perceived pressure. Yet never really getting off the chain, apart from gws in the 2nd and early 3rd, and the Pies got some 3rd qt momentum against the momentum if that makes sense.

It was more a pressure v pressure and both teams tryna find space, even when they did, it was rushed for the most part. Not sure if that was fatigue for the giants and if the Pies were a little rusty, I suspect both.

In the end it really came down to luck and perhaps the giants not able to sustain the pressure late in the last, hence the Pies more i50. After all that travel and short breaks just fell short

Both teams deserved the win, but we got lucky and perhaps a little composure late in the game.

What is certain for next week, whoever the opponent is, they're going to have to face immense pressure, maybe something they have never experienced to this point.

Really got no idea how next week pans out.

Mihocek could probably just not borrow his head into people's sternums like he did 5x last night. Maybe that would protect him a bit?

What a fxxxxxxn epic game of footy.

Absolute belter of a game, managed to forget for a few hours how s**t weve been to ride the orange tsunami for a few hours.

People whinging about the umps pull ya heads in - i saw plenty that weren’t called for pies too. Takes away from what was a majestic effort by both teams.

Congrats pies and look out next year for the giants, top 4 lock!!

Edit: Grin

Last edited:
So watching the replay, it was two similar teams butting heads. Talk about impasse.

Albeit never before seen pressure, both teams were able to get ball movement, at times forced into error whether from the occasion or perceived pressure. Yet never really getting off the chain, apart from gws in the 2nd and early 3rd, and the Pies got some 3rd qt momentum against the momentum if that makes sense.

It was more a pressure v pressure and both teams tryna find space, even when they did, it was rushed for the most part. Not sure if that was fatigue for the giants and if the Pies were a little rusty, I suspect both.

In the end it really came down to luck and perhaps the giants not able to sustain the pressure late in the last, hence the Pies more i50. After all that travel and short breaks just fell short

Both teams deserved the win, but we got lucky and perhaps a little composure late in the game.

What is certain for next week, whoever the opponent is, they're going to have to face immense pressure, maybe something they have never experienced to this point.

Really got no idea how next week pans out.
Great summary. The pressure was dialed up to 200% - just amazing hard nosed footy.

Back