Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Pies v Lions Fri Aug 18th 7:50pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorns demolition was far better. We blitzed them from 16th!!

It would be hawthorns flag to lose if they could make finals.

I would be agreeable to letting hawks in on basis that they have dominated top 4 teams this season.

It would be hawthorns flag to lose if they could make finals.

I would be agreeable to letting hawks in on basis that they have dominated top 4 teams this season.
No it's Adelaide's flag to lose, best record against top 4 don't they?
And they might still actually make the 8!

No it's Adelaide's flag to lose, best record against top 4 don't they?
And they might still actually make the 8!

TBH if the Lions can't do it, I hope Port wins it all for Kenny. Would genuinely be glorious.

I would rather lose a couple of games leading into finals, secure a top two berth and have a healthier list, than go hell for leather in meaningless games, get more injuries, just to appease the media and commentators.

At the start of the year, I would have taken top two and I will still take it.

In two weeks, a new season starts and it is called finals.
So called "form" means not alot when that starts. Fit players are your friend at this time, not perceived form.
At the end of the day, whatever happens, happens.
I have faith in Fly and the team, so what will be, will be.
I will just enjoy the ride whilst it lasts, as there will be ten teams next week, who would like to be where we are, with our poor form.
Think I’d like to be where Brisbane are, with good form.

"Ever so slightly wobbly" - Collingwood legend Brian Taylor

Pies at 3/4 time

jelly-wobbly.gif

Totally agree. Collingwood’s KPI’s have been low now for months, it rarely happens that a side just turns it around overnight. I heard their inside 50 count over the last month or so was the 3rd lowest in the league - how do you rectify that overnight? Just won’t happen. They must have one of the lowest percentages ever for a side sitting 1st too, which often is a good barometer.

I suspect Collingwood will end up playing Melbourne in the Qualifying Final and putting all bias aside, I think Melbourne would win that (presuming no big names get injured over the next two weeks), especially if Daicos is still missing.

That would likely mean Collingwood would play Carlton in a Semi Final, and on current form, it would be impossible not to tip Carlton.

I really thought it was in Collingwood’s best interests to win today to keep Melbourne away from 4th.

It would probably end up being better for Collingwood if they dropped next week and 1st place, and landed a clash with Port at the MCG (2v3), avoiding Carlton if they lost that game.

If Melbourne finished 4th and lost that Qualifying Final, I also expect it would be a hard road for them to win the flag from there, but slightly more likely as they’re in better form, playing finals-type footy and have the experience of having ‘been-there-done-that’.
Yep they've dropped off in all stats. I think form/momentum is one thing, it can be turned around, but other teams have worked out their style more. Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton are all very high contested sides who can lock things up for at least periods of the game.

Won't be surprised if they drop the last against Essendon. Doubt they'll bring back any of the currently injured players.

Isn’t there an excuse/cause for everything that happens?

We haven’t been belted by anyone this year really - that’s actually a compliment what you’ve said. The gap between Collingwood’s best and worst isn’t that great. It’s a good point you raise.

16 and 2 18 rounds in. That’s a pretty decent record. I don’t believe anyone ever really looks unbeatable unless we’re talking Essendon 2000 or Geelong/Collingwood 2011 etc. during. It’s only in hindsight we make that call. If Pies win next week, and win their 3 finals in September, pretty sure people will pull out the whole ‘unbeatable’ card since they only really dropped 3/4 late after they’d secured top spot. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

How is it different? What was Geelong’s second trick last year? You talk a lot of smack sometimes, and you add so much mayo to it whenever Collingwood loses 😂
I will give credit to McRae etc (as if he hasn't had enough). Those comebacks, as aggravating as they can be against teams I'm going for, are impressive. Its coaching, fitness, tactics and gamesmanship. I didnt think it was sustainable, though, so no surprise we haven't seen that for awhile.

Yeah in 2019 when they were bottom I thought they were usually competitive, actually not that different to this year. They were better than their ladder position suggested in 2019-2021. Managed to keep competitive while we, the 2018 premiers, completely self destructed.

Nah I think its pretty clear their style is pretty one dimension. Get you with fast handball chains on the rebound. Nullify that and they've no answer.

Your humour masks your fear.
It's obviously not the end of the world and they can easily turn things around, but it's not ideal form this close to finals.
Recent history just happens to back that up. Doesn't make anything a certainty.
We win these games and extend our gap in first, and we get called June, July, August premiers, we lose these games, and the wheels are apparently falling off and people ‘smell fear’. Can’t win either way, huh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F32MKP0XUAAgDtA

Maybe you should. Look at the concern on Fly's face in that picture looking at those numbers.
Lions last 5 games -

2019: 4-1
2020: 5-0
2021: 4-1
2022: 3-2
2023: 3-1

I guess winning majority of your last 5 H&A games doesn’t also translate to premiership wins either, does it?

Lions last 5 games -

2019: 4-1
2020: 5-0
2021: 4-1
2022: 3-2
2023: 3-1

I guess winning majority of your last 5 H&A games doesn’t also translate to premiership wins either, does it?

Look at the concern on flys face in that picture. He knows it’s a big issue for the pies. Even Collingwood’s biggest fan BT said the wobbles have begun.

wheels coming GIF by FirstAndMonday

Look at the concern on flys face in that picture. He knows it’s a big issue for the pies. Even Collingwood’s biggest fan BT said the wobbles have begun.

wheels coming GIF by FirstAndMonday
You’d better not be another one of those fickle Lions supporters who calls for Fagan’s head again come end of September, that’d be just embarrassing.

You’d better not be another one of those fickle Lions supporters who calls for Fagan’s head again come end of September, that’d be just embarrassing.

Grandpa Fages is a much loved and respected figure amongst lions fans

Look at the concern on flys face in that picture.

I’m a bit shocked that nobody is addressing the concern on fly’s face. His reaction to those stats in that image tells a sobering story.

Carlton will be lucky to win a final let alone two.
That is quite a shittake mushroom if I ever saw one.

Who will be limping into 8th spot? The Doggies? You reckon we can't beat them in the form we've shown so far, with Walsh and Cerra back into the side?

Just remember, there's a pre-finals bye... much needed for some of our players.

That is quite a shittake mushroom if I ever saw one.

Who will be limping into 8th spot? The Doggies? You reckon we can't beat them in the form we've shown so far, with Walsh and Cerra back into the side?

Just remember, there's a pre-finals bye... much needed for some of our players.

No amount of pre-finals bye will uncook my boy crippa

Back