Autopsy AFL 2023 First Preliminary Final - Pies v GWS Fri Sept 22nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 28.5%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Over to you guys now. Do your jobs.
The only thing that Carlton has going for them into this game is they have already outperformed expectations since the bye so the players are in 'this is fun mood' and they have a coach who has a clue about finals football. If the game isn't torn apart by Brisbane in the first half- it will be a toss-up who wins. Brisbane should be and are , heavy favourites- we saw last night that even the super fit GWS ran out of legs half way through the third quarter. Big ask to win 2 hard fought finals and then another one against a gun team up there.

Been a win season for Carlton and this one is a great free hit and see what happens - Vossy will have them set for it - no doubt about that.

I was more frustrated with the general commentary then the umpires. BT cannot be, like absolutely cannot be, allowed to commentate Collingwood matches. It's absurd to have him in there as the main caller.
I think BT commentating full stop is absurd. He’s as useful as a pork roast at a bar mitzvah.

Giants will be ruing that one . I guess if you lose a prelim by a point then any team would, but they had their chances the giants. A few over the top handballs/kicks for easy goals would’ve been good. Sam Taylor not electing to fist the ball from behind against McStay for one of his goals… Tried to take a hanger instead. Kingsley done his job very well this year!

The only thing that Carlton has going for them into this game is they have already outperformed expectations since the bye so the players are in 'this is fun mood' and they have a coach who has a clue about finals football. If the game isn't torn apart by Brisbane in the first half- it will be a toss-up who wins. Brisbane should be and are , heavy favourites- we saw last night that even the super fit GWS ran out of legs half way through the third quarter. Big ask to win 2 hard fought finals and then another one against a gun team up there.

Been a win season for Carlton and this one is a great free hit and see what happens - Vossy will have them set for it - no doubt about that.
Have to disagree with the last part.

The free hit was last week against the Dees. You’re now in a Prelim and they’re hard to get to. A loss will sting.

Have to disagree with the last part.

The free hit was last week against the Dees. You’re now in a Prelim and they’re hard to get to. A loss will sting.

Melbourne win was good - because like Sydney they play teh same game style so it was a big box ticked. As for losing a prelim given the circumstances - I'm totally fine with it - will be watching with a keen eye on which players perform and which dont - with an eye to next year.

I was more frustrated with the general commentary then the umpires. BT cannot be, like absolutely cannot be, allowed to commentate Collingwood matches. It's absurd to have him in there as the main caller.
not sure if anyone ever explained it to you but the commentators have slightly less impact on the result of the match than the umpires.

nah. I've tried that. The free hit thing. Doesn't help when your team goes down i'm afraid. Its still crap.

Melbourne win was good - because like Sydney they play teh same game style so it was a big box ticked. As for losing a prelim given the circumstances - I'm totally fine with it - will be watching with a keen eye on which players perform and which dont - with an eye to next year.
see. that doesn't work either. sometimes next year just doesn't happen. key injury, scandal, etc. Gotta grab the chance when it is front. I'm a Collingwood supporter with many many scars. Listen to me and go all out for the win.

You scored 3 goals in 3 quarters of football. You could at least have scored 10 goals! Look, terrible is probably a bit strong. But you're not being fair dinkum if you didn't want that to open up more. The last 2 minutes was basically Rugby union. Just not calling any frees at all when they're clearly there just ruined the spectacle. It's another game where you could tune into the last 5 minutes and not have missed much.

The last 2 mins was s**t from a purists point of view, but it was the message from the boundary with the 'STOP' card being held up, and it's won them games. The Giants and Demons knew what Collingwood were doing.

It's up to their opposition next week to not let the game become a grind in the final quarter because Collingwood train specifically for these situations and locking down the play. Obviously, Collingwood can't do it if Brisbane or Carlton can be up by 4 or 5 goals, but once again, the pies will have also trained for that scenario and having to chase the game. Las season's results showed that.

End of the day, they are very well prepared. Their High Performance Manager is no mug. He's worked with Wayne Bennett so I have no doubt he's brought a lot of intel across to Collingwood and their performances over the last two years have shown that resilience which is prominent in good NRL teams has been instilled into this Collingwood team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i shouldn't have but I'd almost forgotten how much a Pies win hurts the supporters of the crap teams. Its a beautiful thing :) There is the potential for us to inflict great harm next week :)
The truth is, deep down these supporters understandably have begrudging admiration for Coll.
It’s actually a huge compliment.

DeGoey with the most ineffectual ten touch possession quarter you will ever see

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
hysterical-laughter.gif

BT cannot be allowed to commentate matches. It's absurd to have him in there as the main caller.
Edited for greater accuracy.

I actually like him after the game, and don’t mind him at half time. But he is way too biased to be commentating.

Sometimes his barracking is so blatant I wonder if channel 7 tells him to support the team with the larger fan base as they know that’s what their audience wants. They certainly don’t mind peddling a good dose of good old fashion racism in their other programs.

My boy can flush a drop punt on both at 7. We do spend some time on it though and he isn't overly accurate and he cant kick on his non preffered on the run yet. But gets it spinning backwards off the boot most times.
You should be grateful your 7yo is into footy. For a sporting family/dad, my 7yo cannot stand sports or footy let alone even doing kick to kick with his old man ☹️

Back