Autopsy AFL 2023 First Elimination Final - Carlton v Sydney Fri Sept 8th 7:50pm EST MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither of the ARC calls were even umpire's call. They were both determined to be conclusive behinds, because they were. Weird thing to be blaming.
Not that it would have changed the result as the Umpires Calls were points but their was no way either of them were actually conclusive they should have both been deemed Umpires Call.

We just lost a game because of hometown umpiring and I'm here laughing at how you all think you're world beaters again. All things considered I think I'm handling it better than I expected.
Blues led all night, thoroughly deserved the win.

The bigger issue is the Swans struggling to bring their best in the games that count. Got nothing to do with umpiring.

Gulden's a jet, but he can only carry you so far.

Yep, if Daicos keeps working hard he could close that gap on Errol.
You'll get laughed at but it's really not that outlandish.

The kid is star. Runs all day, stands in the hole for his marks despite his height, kicking is elite most of the time.

They'll both be Brownlow medalists one day. Going to be a pleasure to watch for years to come for neutrals.

Last edited:
Sydney can hold their heads high. At least they made a final unlike Geelong.
We've seen 4 flags in 16 years. Any sane Geelong supporter is just enjoying watching finals without stress right now. Awesome opening two games.

As for the Swans, not sure about heads held high....that finals record is looking pretty dicey now.

Moaning over arc results is benign. Don't to rely on a contentios review? Get a little more on the kick. Unfortunately that's footy
Still, the technology is clearly not good enough. I honestly think the AFL avoid upgrading it because they like the controversy.

Still, the technology is clearly not good enough. I honestly think the AFL avoid upgrading it because they like the controversy.
It isn't, but it's just part of a long list of issues that are not up to standard in the afl. If it doesn't directly make them money, they won't bother fixing it.

I'm more concerned about the pathetic fixturing imbalances than goal reviews. The fact we can have a team nearly make finals because they scraped across the line in 4 games against North and wce is laughable

It isn't, but it's just part of a long list of issues that are not up to standard in the afl. If it doesn't directly make them money, they won't bother fixing it.

I'm more concerned about the pathetic fixturing imbalances than goal reviews. The fact we can have a team nearly make finals because they scraped across the line in 4 games against North and wce is laughable
I guess total fixture parity is almost impossible unless you play everyone once or twice (home and away). Can't see the AFL going with either

Moaning over arc results is benign. Don't to rely on a contentios review? Get a little more on the kick. Unfortunately that's footy

I really wish the AFL would change the rule so if the ball gets lightly touched by a finger or brushes a post but it still goes through it is a goal. Would solve 90% of goal review issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issue then becomes what is considered "lightly touched"...?

One that does not cause a deviation in the balls trajectory, or it is so minor the ball went in basically the same place anyway. I think there would be far fewer issues with this change as how often does a finger touch change the balls direction enough to change it from going through for a goal or not.

One that does not cause a deviation in the balls trajectory, or it is so minor the ball went in basically the same place anyway. I think there would be far fewer issues with this change as how often does a finger touch change the balls direction enough to change it from going through for a goal or not.
It would cause as many issues as it would solve.

You're almost better off going the way of Soccer and just bringing in 'own goals'

Would remove the deliberate rushed behind issue as well.

Like last night I don't think either side really played well.

I think we took it to them in the second half, but we were coming from too far back and a few shanks at goal didn't help. It wasn't as much of a choke as Melbourne last night but I think a side like GWS probably run over Carlton.

As for Carlton, you can tell that they hadn't played finals for a decade. Did great initially but when we kicked a few their structure went to pot. Were lucky we couldn't land a winning punch.
Yeah i accept your shanks and counter with Harry's two shockers from 5 metres out

Back