Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Elimination Final - Saints v GWS Sat Sept 9th 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 42.1%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ has nothing to do with it! Saints just a very average team!!
Itā€™s weird that a supporter of a Melbourne club wouldnā€™t look at the Saints as one of the teams youā€™d want to go further. Iā€™m probably the most fervent StKilda supporters,and now firmly on the Blues to win.
If youā€™d watched that game as a supporter, youā€™d have seen that every single 50/50 went Giants way.
Anyhow. Go Blues

GWS are a very good side, but Saints probably the worst of the top 8 sides this year

Another preseason under Ross is needed, but needs to drop the overly defensive style

I don't think we are overly defensive, we play a fast attacking game style under Ross now but our forward line can let us down like today.

We missed Membrey and Hayes today to give us more size and strength up forward, the GWS defenders had too much size and strength.

Our bad kicking for goal hurts us too, we have too many forwards like Harry McKay who you can't rely on to kick a simple set shot for goal.

I don't think we are overly defensive, we play a fast attacking game style under Ross now but our forward line can let us down like today.

We missed Membrey and Hayes today to give us more size and strength up forward, the GWS defenders had too much size and strength.

Our bad kicking for goal hurts us too, we have too many forwards like Harry McKay who you can't rely on to kick a simple set shot for goal.

Bad kicking is bad footy, one player kicking poorly shouldn't be the difference and every side has injuries

Ross's style has always been defensive compared to pointy end sides, and this year you just can't kick a high score consistently

Last edited:
2 main issues for the saints were centre clearances, The Giants had cleaner clearances with quicker spread, with a similar differential off half back.

We need an Aaron Hamill type wrecking ball in the forward line. Our forwards are pluckers, they're not running through enough defenders.

Just speaking the truth, good luck for next week, I think you have a better shot at knocking off Port or Brisbane than we would have had.

With all those spoon fed top draft picks and a good coach in Kingsley you should be a good shot at beating anyone left and winning a flag.

Just a pity the AFL can't spoon feed you more supporters that will care about it.
They are everybody's second team.

Why do the ruckman continue to be allowed to incorrectly dispose of the ball

A few years back the rule was implemented that if the ruck took possession at the bounce/ball up/ boundary throw in and were tackled, incorrectly disposed the footy theyā€™d be pinged for HTB

I rarely see rucks penalised for that now

Just speaking the truth, good luck for next week, I think you have a better shot at knocking off Port or Brisbane than we would have had.

With all those spoon fed top draft picks and a good coach in Kingsley you should be a good shot at beating anyone left and winning a flag.

Just a pity the AFL can't spoon feed you more supporters that will care about it.
All your opinion. TruthšŸ¤£šŸ™„

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just be gracious and move on, nobody likes a sook.

Just be gracious and move on, nobody likes a sook.

I am being gracious, I didn't even blame the umpiring that much, more blaming the AFL for spoon feeding you and the Suns top draft picks.

We aren't playing on a level playing field and it showed today, our best mid Steele is a GWS discard as you get better mids than him for free.

I am being gracious, I didn't even blame the umpiring that much, more blaming the AFL for spoon feeding you and the Suns top draft picks.

We aren't playing on a level playing field and it showed today, our best mid Steele is a GWS discard as you get better mids than him for free.
to still be whining about the start-up concessions from 12 years ago is pretty naff to be honest.

it also conveniently overlooks the impact from the likes of Connor Idun (pick 61) or Jake Riccardi (pick 51) or Toby Bedford (pick 75 - traded for pick44), Jack Buckley (cat b rookie from the Sydney league) Callum Brown (cat b rookie from County Derry), Lachie Keefe (pick 69 in the rookie draft & then as a delisted free agent after 3 years out of the game)

Western Sydney local kid Kieran Briggs wasnā€™t even bid on when we took him at 34. Jesse Hogan might have been a rising star but when we became his third club we got him for pick 54. And donā€™t forget the Killarney Vale Carpenter Daniel Lloyd (whoā€™ll play his 100th next week)

the year we took Brent Daniels at 27 & Sam Taylor at 28 St Kilda took Hunter Clark & Nick Coffield at 7 & 8

over a decade down the line I think weā€™ve moved beyond the whole ā€giftedā€ top picks BS.

Giants too good today

Well played this year, Sainters

Good season. Over achievers in Ross the Bossā€™s first season back At Moorabbin
I think that game went pretty much as most people expected.
Not sure how the Saints overachieved this year?
2021 - 10 wins from 22 games (45.5% win rate)
2022 - 11 wins from 22 games (50%)
2023 - 13 wins from 23 games (56.5%)

After 10 wins from 17 games in 2020 (58.8%)

Well done Giants. Reckon they could give Port a run for their money next week.

Back