Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Qualifying Final - Lions v Port Sat Sept 9th 7:25pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think it's Lions vs Dees GF and the Lions to win if they can put it together on the MCG on the day.

Canā€™t / wonā€™t happen.

Dees vs Blues winner gets Lions next in PF at the Gabba. GWS vs Port winner gets the Pies in the other PF at the MCG.

Dees massively overrated for a team with no forward structure.

I didn't think Port played that bad tbh, Marshall hurt them with a loss of momentum but that happens, Lotf had a fantastic game to compensate somewhat. The major issue is the ability to defend or pressure the ball going through the middle. Fletcher was playing on a wing and the amount of space he was given to float around the forward corridor was just really bad, he kicked 3 and gave one off.

McCluggage 4 inside 50s, kicked 1 goal and 3 assists.
Zorko 4 inside 50s, kicked a goal and 2 assists.
Dunkley 3 inside 50s, 2 assists
Bailey 5 inside 50s, kicked a goal and 2 assists
McCarthy 2 inside 50s, kicked a goal and 1 assist.

They just inflicted horrific damage on Port.

Butters 7 inside 50s, 0 goals, 1 assist
Rozee 5 inside 50s, 1 goal, 1 assist
Drew 5 inside 50s, zip and zip
SPP 3 I50s, kicked 2 and 2 assists
Byrne-Jones, 2 inside 50s, 1 goal, 0 assists.

Marshall burnt some should be assists but the reason these are so lopsided is there wasn't as much midfield pressure on the Brisbane players once the ball got out of a stoppage as there was on the Port midfielders.

Not the pies? šŸ¤”
Can't have 3 teams in the GF.
Pies are obviously in the mix, but I've felt it's been Dees/Lions for weeks and not much has happened to change that view.
Pies are good enough to beat anyone on their night, but same can be said about any of the remaining teams.

EDIT: sorry, been corrected that this GF match up can no longer happen. Didn't bother looking at the remaining possible outcomes.

Guess I'll just have to change my prediction to Port vs Blues šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Last edited:
Can't have 3 teams in the GF.
Pies are obviously in the mix, but I've felt it's been Dees/Lions for weeks and not much has happened to change that view.
Pies are good enough to beat anyone on their night, but same can be said about any of the remaining teams.
Dees / lions canā€™t play off in gf. They can only meet in prelim if Melbourne beats Carlton.

Pathetic goal kicking in the first half set us up for failure. Marshall in particular could have had 5 by half time and instead was spraying them all over the place, missing everything or not making the distance from 30m in front.

One of his absolute worst games but wasnā€™t the only one to miss absolute basic goals which you canā€™t afford to do during an away final.

Managed to pull back and clinch the lead, Marshall misses another gimme goal and bam next minute weā€™re down by 30 points.

Really we should have been up by 20 odd points in the second but weā€™re instead behind by that much due to missing absolute sitters and making simply mistakes going forward into space which weā€™re sling shotted down the other end for goals.

Drew, DBJ and McEntee all completely effed up forward transition on occasions through simple skill errors which resulted in lions goals directly. Between that and our misses, we killed ourselves and only ourselves to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie wines did nothing. Barely spotted him.

Lonely High School GIF by nettwerkmusic
Other than be interviewed by Abbie H after the Coin Toss, I didn't notice his presence all night.

David Koch and Ken Hinkley tore my club apart, and continue to piss on its ashes.
A bit harsh, Port have been very good all year and itā€™s no easy feat winning on the road at the Gabba. Plenty of chances and opportunities missed to take the crowd and steam out of the Lions.
Re-group and go again next week at home and a prelim at the G against the pies is an opportunity worth having.

I think this could be the blowout final of week 1.
Lions are hot at the Gabba, and after years of failures in September this could be "the one" where it actually all clicks and they come good.

Port will bounce back the week after, but I could see them going down hard here, Lions by 45.
Saw this coming

Back