Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 21 - Cats v Port Sat August 5th 7:25pm EST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone explain why Marshall wasn’t awarded a 50m penalty in the last when he took that mark near defensive 50, a Cats player not even in the contest comes into the protected zone, wraps his arm around Marshall and prevents him from hand balling a quick give?

Instead, he holds up the initial play, Marshall goes back and turns it over and the Cats get a crucial goal to go out to a 2 goal margin in the last.

Clear 50m penalty which would have put port inside 50. Completely ignored and ignored by the commentators as well. This comes after the AFL this week sent out a memo to clubs that they were cracking down on this….

Then throw into it that Rioli got pinged a 50 early on for stopping where the mark was taken in our 50 but given 0.1 of a second to magically get himself back to the 9 within a millisecond and without any warning. Pretty sure that lead to a goal too…

But no, the umpires didn’t have an impact and were being unreasonable.
I'd be more worried about Port's kicking in front of goal. Second game along with The Collingwood game where Port probably should have won but wasted opportunities inside 50. Efficiency was 9 percentage lower than Geelong's inside 50, but won the inside 50 count.

So wrapping your arms around someone when you’re not in the marking contest and preventing them from making the play is not a 50? Cool, hasn’t been adjudicated that way for years but good to know!

Happens 500 times a game

They certainly are making an 'Art' form out of it !
You and I have interacted in similar circles for quite some time.
I don't debate stupidity.
Negative reinforcement is what is doled out.

If guys don't want that negative reinforcement they can lift the standards of discourse. A rising tide lifts all boats.
Tonight was an unbelievably s**t outing from most that posted in here. Constant crap all night.

Last edited:
If you don't think JHF did anything wrong on Stewart, there's no hope for you.

That free kick to Stewart was the most text book in the back you'll ever see. Which just made Horne-Francis' tantrum even more satisfying. You knew he was going to get agro about the decision too.

So wrapping your arms around someone when you’re not in the marking contest and preventing them from making the play is not a 50? Cool, hasn’t been adjudicated that way for years but good to know!
It wasn’t arms wrapping around, he just had his arms out to defend and spoil which is allowed under the rules. You just can’t take a step in any direction is all. You are allowed to spoil.

I actually really like port as a club and think geelong and port have a mutual respect, so I won’t be doing any bashing!

33rd goal for the season for Henry.
Should hit 40+ which is a decent return for the 44 gamer
Legit had guys arguing with me on a cats facebook group a fortnight ago we should be dropping Henry.
I mean I take their point his defensive pressure isn't up there with Close, Rohan or Miers but their goalkicking ability won't meet his either.

Can anyone explain why Marshall wasn’t awarded a 50m penalty in the last when he took that mark near defensive 50, a Cats player not even in the contest comes into the protected zone, wraps his arm around Marshall and prevents him from hand balling a quick give?

Instead, he holds up the initial play, Marshall goes back and turns it over and the Cats get a crucial goal to go out to a 2 goal margin in the last.

Clear 50m penalty which would have put port inside 50. Completely ignored and ignored by the commentators as well. This comes after the AFL this week sent out a memo to clubs that they were cracking down on this….

Then throw into it that Rioli got pinged a 50 early on for stopping where the mark was taken in our 50 but given 0.1 of a second to magically get himself back to the 9 within a millisecond and without any warning. Pretty sure that lead to a goal too…

But no, the umpires didn’t have an impact and were being unreasonable.
Anyone arguing this should not be a 50 is just taking the loss, really.

IMG_1778.jpeg IMG_1779.jpeg IMG_1780.jpeg IMG_1781.jpeg IMG_1782.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee threw it, correct decision. Stewart kept his eyes on the ball the whole time. The push awarded to Cameron was dodgy I agree.

The others happen 10 times a game both ways.
You’re honestly arguing that this is not a free kick?

That having your eyes on the ball in flight, then turning and running into the player who is leading into the mark, is not a free kick?

Youve just written the perfect defenders playbook. Want to spoil a leading forward, then just pretend your going for the mark and run into the leading forward…..

Luckily for Stewart that Lord is still finding his feet at AFL level and did not put his knee into Stewart‘s chest (or worse).

IMG_1783.jpeg

Legit had guys arguing with me on a cats facebook group a fortnight ago we should be dropping Henry.
I mean I take their point his defensive pressure isn't up there with Close, Rohan or Miers but their goalkicking ability won't meet his either.

The litmus test will be finals, as it is for all footballers. If he can just stick to his game and try and find space, kick those crucial 2 goals, that's all you can ask for.
It helps he is excellent overhead as they are difficult to find the 190cm forwards who can do it in the air and at ground level.

I have never seen a team benefit from the extended careers of a bulk of players (and umps) like the Cats. And even then only for 1 flag in a decade. When that's gone in a flash you're going to be so in trouble for the next decade that it's going to be so damn tasty to feast on the tears to come.

You can top up here and there and only use living in a shithole like Geelong as a carrot for so long, but you can't top up with 10 players. In the words of Bruce, it's gonna be delicious.

And no one will deserve it more than you.

Expect me.

vince-mc-mahon-durag.gif

Hinkley making himself available to give interviews mid-game is almost impressive in its insouciance. It's like he's daring someone to point out that the Emperor has no clothes.
I watch games with the sound down these days so I didn't know whether there was any previous explanation of precisely WHY a senior coach was being interviewed during the game, like it was a celebrity T20 game or something.

All I know is it didn't look great to me, considering Hinkley's (and the commentator who was interviewing him) ties to Geelong, the narrow loss and now four on the trot.

I think he cops an insane amount of hatred from the Port supporters, many of whom are going to have to do some pretty impressive mental gymnastics if he actually wins a flag and instantly becomes Port's greatest ever AFL coach, but that looked amateurish and will no doubt be seized on, along with the laughs with Dangerfield on the ground after the game.

I watch games with the sound down these days so I didn't know whether there was any previous explanation of precisely WHY a senior coach was being interviewed during the game, like it was a celebrity T20 game or something.

All I know is it didn't look great to me, considering Hinkley's (and the commentator who was interviewing him) ties to Geelong, the narrow loss and now four on the trot.

I think he cops an insane amount of hatred from the Port supporters, many of whom are going to have to do some pretty impressive mental gymnastics if he actually wins a flag and instantly becomes Port's greatest ever AFL coach, but that looked amateurish and will no doubt be seized on, along with the laughs with Dangerfield on the ground after the game.

Greatest ever coach? He’s soon to pass the Terry Wallace record, right up there with 119.

Greatest ever coach? He’s soon to pass the Terry Wallace record, right up there with 119.
Well, since "119" is the only other reasonable candidate in the AFL era, it has to be one of them, right? You're not putting a vote in for the Matty Primus era?

Port's down on form, but the rest of the top four haven't exactly been setting the world on fire recently either and the rest of the top eight will run out of time to catch them. Someone's got to win the premiership this year and there's a stack of teams who'd like to be in Port's position now. So what if Hinkley has the breakthrough? It'll be like Chris Scott last year on steroids.

You’re honestly arguing that this is not a free kick?

That having your eyes on the ball in flight, then turning and running into the player who is leading into the mark, is not a free kick?

Youve just written the perfect defenders playbook. Want to spoil a leading forward, then just pretend your going for the mark and run into the leading forward…..

Luckily for Stewart that Lord is still finding his feet at AFL level and did not put his knee into Stewart‘s chest (or worse).

View attachment 1766032

If only umpires could view the match in freeze frames.

I have never seen a team benefit from the extended careers of a bulk of players (and umps) like the Cats. And even then only for 1 flag in a decade. When that's gone in a flash you're going to be so in trouble for the next decade that it's going to be so damn tasty to feast on the tears to come.

You can top up here and there and only use living in a shithole like Geelong as a carrot for so long, but you can't top up with 10 players. In the words of Bruce, it's gonna be delicious.

Expect me.

Only one flag in a decade?
How’s about getting a finals win in two decades?

Expect me.

This is just the best. Thank you.

Back