Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Saints v Cats Sat Aug 19th 7:25pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve been crying out for good small forwards all year and I sat there tonight watching three of our own Stengle Butler and Higgins run around tonight and see Dan Rioli running off half back. Had the best list of small goal kicking forwards…..

Tyson was off the boil this year after his ridiculous return in 2022 but pleasingly for a guy who’s had some commitment and behaviour issues, it didn’t look to me at any stage like it was an effort thing.

Tyson was off the boil this year after his ridiculous return in 2022 but pleasingly for a guy who’s had some commitment and behaviour issues, it didn’t look to me at any stage like it was an effort thing.
Everyone has ups and downs in form and you forgot mate it’s criminal for players to be human and show anything if they lose….

What did he say - wasn’t paying close attention
Basically we got a premiership we’d been working really hard for and a few returned to pre-season with a sigh of relief rather than hunger. They’ve just been that bit off and it’s probably the season they needed to have. That‘s how i heard it and thought it that way for last month or so

He needs everything to go his way and play in a winning side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty fair.

I hope people watching tonight realise how important Mark Blicavs is to us now.

He leaves a hole that is utterly impossible to fill
And the flexibility Jack Henry gives. But, yeah, the issue of ruck, plus Blicavs out ended the season really - at that point, though, it was a season with a huge outside chance and we‘d have had to get on a huge run of form nearly overnight. There’s not a lot that has to be off for you to be average in this league

Yes, well it's certainly the worst premiership defence since the 2016 Bulldogs.

Geelong should have been able to win back to back premierships with the list that they had. It's an absolute crime that they stuffed it up.
I wouldn't say it was hugely unexpected. Oldest team fielded in history and then literally had their mad Monday at an old folks home.

We could have been better for sure, but a lot did not go our way.

ended richmond's era last week. ended geelong's this week.
Ended Richmond’s era? Now Geelongs? …….. I don’t think so, but what have you to show for it, not much. I’ll keep my eye on the Saints to see how they fair in the coming weeks, i suspect it’ll be very similar to years gone by ……. Not much!!

Basically we got a premiership we’d been working really hard for and a few returned to pre-season with a sigh of relief rather than hunger. They’ve just been that bit off and it’s probably the season they needed to have. That‘s how i heard it and thought it that way for last month or so

Yeah just rewound and watched.

He probably makes some fair points. I don’t put as much faith in others in pre-season when it comes to form that arrives later in the year.
I certainly think that either a delayed pre-season or a bad one impacted those first 3 rounds; the Suns loss was inexplicable, but I think after a month of footy you catch up on the conditioning aspect.

I do agree that there’s a bit of truth in that ‘old guys have that relief, young guys get ahead of themselves’ theory.

We’ve had a lot of good players miss a lot of footy this year.
Injuries are part of footy, all clubs deal with it in some capacity so we are no more unlucky than anyone else. But some clubs are better equipped in terms of ‘where they’re at’ to deal with it.

A team that has a lot of good but aging players can ill afford them to be injured.

A team who’s young players are good but not supported by much depth as far as ‘other good young players’ go can also not afford to be injured.

Basically when you have our profile - and I’ll always defend it - you rely more on good luck. If you don’t have it things get tougher

Yeah just rewound and watched.

He probably makes some fair points. I don’t put as much faith in others in pre-season when it comes to form that arrives later in the year.
I certainly think that either a delayed pre-season or a bad one impacted those first 3 rounds; the Suns loss was inexplicable, but I think after a month of footy you catch up on the conditioning aspect.

I do agree that there’s a bit of truth in that ‘old guys have that relief, young guys get ahead of themselves’ theory.

We’ve had a lot of good players miss a lot of footy this year.
Injuries are part of footy, all clubs deal with it in some capacity so we are no more unlucky than anyone else. But some clubs are better equipped in terms of ‘where they’re at’ to deal with it.

A team that has a lot of good but aging players can ill afford them to be injured.

A team who’s young players are good but not supported by much depth as far as ‘other good young players’ go can also not afford to be injured.

Basically when you have our profile - and I’ll always defend it - you rely more on good luck. If you don’t have it things get tougher
Agree. Injuries affect every team, as we see with Collingwood at the wrong time for them, but I always felt this season was needed to build some players, many outside the 22, but some in, and therefore they relied on a few older guys which was a risk. Nice to risk though when you’ve got a cup in the back pocket. Im looking forward to seeing the slightly changed face of 2023 move a little more in 2024

Yes, well it's certainly the worst premiership defence since the 2016 Bulldogs.

Geelong should have been able to win back to back premierships with the list that they had. It's an absolute crime that they stuffed it up.
Nah. I know you’ve been tongue in cheek re us this season (every season 😉) but we’ve had plenty go wrong compare to last season. We haven’t been good enough to cover..

What do you? You’ll probably be drinking Moet tonight I expect. I’ll go for a cheap beers.

Normally I’d have the rent on us for a cheap win at home next week but not at this stage.

Back